Thread: The human brain
View Single Post
Old September 17, 2003, 05:46 AM
Michael Ross (Aust, Qld)

Default How To Interpret The News

There are standard terms and phrases news readers say when reading the news. And there are ways to interpret what they really mean.

"Public opinons shows... insert whatever you want the public to believe here."

The question you need to ask is, WHO are these public who think this? The newsreader's son, daughter, husband, wife, friend, nextdoor neighbor?

"Lastest polls show... insert whatever you want the public to believe here."

When was this poll taken? What was asked? How was it asked (method of polling - in person, phone, etc.) How many people were polled. What is the political demographic of those who were polled?

During the Olympic games in Sydney, the media kept harping on and on and on and on and on about how the country was all goo-goo with that little girl from the opening party.

The reality was... the media were the only ones going on about her. No-one else cared.

"X% of Americans are... insert what you want to scare the public about."

What they should really say is, "X% of the small tiny number of people we survey are..." Of course, because those people were Americans...

Remember that piece of Mars rock with those odd looking things on them? Remember how the media said the scientists reckon it showed proof of life - or some such claim?

The reality was completely different. The scientists NEVER said anything of the sort. They said they did not know what the things were but they did resemble certain bacteria.

The news often does what the current affairs shows do... leave out words and splice together things.

For instance... "The reality was... the things were... certain bacteria."

If you read the above paragraph relating to this quoted comment, you will see the words used and used in the same order. Technically, I said it... but I didn't say it that way.

Splice together. Also they will deliberately take words out of context to help create the impression they want to.

It's for this reason I prefer Fox News. They manipulate the least of all news channels. As they say... we report, YOU decide.

I post, you decide.

Michael Ross