View Single Post
Old December 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Vinyl & Leather Repair

Gerard, Layla's reply brought this to mind that may help you also.

You're basically talking to a person who is a salesman for a specific line of products (SEM). He probably has been SELLING their (or other) products in that field for so many years but it's not the same thing as him having actual repairing skills that he can teach you.

He may be able to teach you how to use SEM products to do certain things but he may be totally unfamiliar with repairs that do not necessarily work well with the products he sells. Therein is the rub. I do know that many individual products in a line (whether mechanics, leather, dry cleaners, etc) are not always the best one for the job no matter how well the rest of the line works for the jobs to be done.

Any good salesperson would be at least marginally familiar with other product lines similar to their own line but you'd be on your own to locate the company rep and learn how to use the other products if some part of the line proved less than ideal.

This is also your most likely explanation for his reluctance to discuss the financial and growth prospects of the business. He probably isn't privvy to that information unless he actually has a repair business upon which to rely for statistics and insider knowledge of the business finance prospects.

I would not rely upon this individual for anything more than a starting point unless all you want to do is become a salesman for SEM products, based upon what information you've shared here.

Do wish you all the best.

Sandi Bowman

P.S. Just a thought: make SURE you're not allergic to anything you'll be using, especially if it doesn't have a ready substitute product available. I had to give up professional restorations of antiques due to allergies...after I had spent much time and money learning the ropes, establishing accounts etc. OUCH. Just be aware.