View Single Post
Old August 5, 2017, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Re: What you want, so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
[dave bancroft]

Gordon,

Could you provide a short history on Dave Bancroft? Is he still with us today? I know he was one of the early Internet Marketing pioneers. He also started online reprint/resell rights with VHS video cassettes. I have many of them. Keep up the great work.

donsonic

Well, I like Dave. He had one of the original FORUMS, which were what the discussion groups of Usenet...aka newsgroups and bulletin boards were called in the 20th Century. I discovered them in 1987, and started selling computer parts and software.

So, when www came about, many of us were familiar with the forum concept and there was a lot of early software for setting them up, and everybody did. My first www forum of posts, was on the circa 1994 or 95 SCI, (Ben Suarez) forum, and he was light years ahead of his time, just winding up or getting out of the computer biz. There was a time when Ben and SCI were as big as Dell in the selling of PCs.

OK. So Dave was one of those off line guys, who prior to the Internet ran ads in magazines, but was also getting ready for the big Internet Explosion, as I wrote about in 1997 for SCI and the NPGS UPDATE HOTLINE.

After the forum, I heard, but can't confirm, Dave had some health issues, but he then went behind the camera and I believe he has focused on music and video as a producer/director. I haven't had any contact with Dave, but like so many of us early users, we all have gone on to pursue many other things in our lives.

But, I do have an archive and starting this afternoon, I'll post up some of those posts I made at Dave's Forum in the last century. It will be fun to see if Old Gordon has withstood the test of time, thanks for asking.

Gordon