View Single Post
Old August 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Millionaires and Criminals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Hi TW,

Thanks for the link!

I found an article which might shed some light on how millionaires can be like criminals, according to that show you referred to, "Mind of a Millionaire"...

The article is "Moneyed words" - http://arts.guardian.co.uk/critic/fe...160323,00.html

To quote from the article...

Quote:
This enthralling series seems to prove that there is a type. Successful entrepreneurs are maniacally energetic, self-confident, self-centred gamblers. A striking 73 per cent don't notice or care what other people think of them. It is a positive asset to be poor and poorly educated. They have, essentially, all the characteristics of the criminal. As Ivan Massow (one O-level in metalwork and £30m) said to the young prisoners he was trying to motivate: "The skills you need to get into trouble are very similar to the skills you need to be businessmen." They were all, he said, entrepreneurs. "Failed, obviously."
I thought this quote near the start of the article was interesting too...

Quote:
Much the most entertaining [millionaire] was 18-year-old Dominic McVey. He was the essence of Kevin. He responded to conversational gambits with grunts. He flopped in a corner looking filleted. One long, bleached strand of hair suggested the stuffing was coming out of his head. His mouth hung open. He has been a multimillionaire since he was 15, when America gave him the European distribution rights to that scooter that used to get under your feet everywhere. His headmaster noticed he was playing truant again when he saw him on TV in Tokyo, exploring the possibility of importing Japanese lavatories. "I don't think Dominic feels he needs a safety net," said this much-tried man. "He believed in himself to a degree that most people find quite irritating." Dominic agreed. "You have to be so confident in yourself it can make you cringe. But if you're not, you ain't gonna do it."
It's an interesting article...

Dien