View Single Post
Old September 17, 2022, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Here is some insight on selling data reports.

Gordon, Gotta go soon but don't want to lose the thoughts and also make sure I am tracking.

- You are describing what my buddy the former Economics Consultant did to a tee. Get paid to write a report which still sits on a shelf 30 years after the election and the city council wrote the $100k check.

He describes WHY he was hired the same way.
"One, to confirm their decisions."
And now with analytics and data he would completely agree with:
"Two, to guess the future, and if wrong, well it was the data's fault."

- Is the motivation similar to why people are buying Lotto hotsheets? Because I can see how it might be. Oh boy, gonna need to read up on your Lotto posts!

- The quantity of data available, let alone making sense of it, is overwhelming to most people including the customer and their boss. Hire the analytics guy or buy the report. If it works great if not (for whatever reason) client points the finger at the data. Gotta say I saw this psychology in play internally, too. So easy to blame the data.

- Instead of spending 100 hours with a client over some months the report is the consultant fulfilling the same purpose.

- The reports themselves:
Repeatable process and templates for each market.
Start with the clients why and work back to the beginning. Including, where I can intersect with them, get their attention, ......

It should be possible to keep slop and mess factor low. Thus, the reports and not the consulting gig.

Hm, I've got some niches in mind.

Thanks again,
--Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
In the 70's, 80s and 90s CONSULTANTS made a lot of money (some still do), but the reason for HIRING these guys, was as often as not, so someone in management, who had risen to his Peter Principle place in the company...

needed a fall guy, in case it went south. See? It was the consultant's fault.

Today, data and analytics serve the same purpose. Analytics has infiltrated sports and almost every major league team has an analytics guy.

So, you want to SELL reports? A lot of your success will come from the copy you use.

But lets look at the two main reasons why biz wants all this data, OK>

One, to confirm their decisions.
Two, to guess the future, and if wrong, well it was the data's fault.

Eric, pay attention, I think you could have a gold mine if you set this up the right way.

Today, right now, it is about this HOLIDAY season. Some are saying it will be "muted", while other pundits say, a 13% increase over last year, a meaningless number unless you are selling the data to your boss, see?

All current data includes inventory, supply side, demand, INFLATION, and when working with numbers, as Little Finger in Game of Thrones told Tyrian, they obey what you want them to do, or something like that.

So as you begin to put together your reports, use the SowPub/Gordon backward chaining...start with the end user and what do they want.

When you come to understand that these are "consultants" at the ready to take the fall in case the thing doesn't work out, it is well...

Well they threw on 3rd and five when data says, with those running backs, a screen pass would work 67% of the time...all that non football nonsense they use these days to end up OUT of the playoffs.

Anyhow, data is used to justify the decisions already made or to BLAME future bad decisions on anyone but the guy responsible for analyzing it.

Does this make any sense?

Gordon