View Single Post
Old October 15, 2009, 05:36 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How spelling is fluid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post
Ankesh, have you really paid attention to all the bad spelling and grammar on the internet? It's beyond belief!

As a writer, I seek to avoid such gibberish so it does not influence my writing when I want it to be 'just so'. Those who use this sort of gibberish are creating a self-defeating reality if they wish to be thought of as intelligent and a brilliant communicator, IMHO.

Bad habits, such as the use of gibberish, are very difficult to break and will, eventually, embarrass the person at some point in their lives (usually at a critical point). I've hired and trained enough people to know that incorrect usage and spelling WILL come out at often inappropriate times (such as on resume's) despite careful intents not to allow it.

"Time, and how we use it, is all there really is to life." - Sandra Bowman. Use your time well and it will reward you handsomely.
Hi Sandi,

I know what you're saying, though I certainly don't think what Fishman wrote is "gibberish". It's related to psychological research, and while what he posted was a bit of fun, it has potential practical applications. (I already mentioned a possible application to speed reading in another post. It also has practical applications regarding the design of fonts and spacing, to improve ease of reading.)

I've generally had a "knack" for spelling correctly, but we should also recognize that spelling is fluid - it's not constant - and that English language spelling changes over time.

Right now, some people cringe when they read "cu l8r" ("see you later") - but who knows, that "spelling" could be the way of the future!

I was just looking at the United States Constitution for examples of how spelling conventions change over time...

Here are some...

Article I, section 2:

"The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers..."

(Of course, we spell it "choose" nowadays, not "chuse." The words "chuse" and "chusing" are sprinkled throughout the U.S. Constitution.)

Article I, section 6:

"...or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time..."

(Of course, we spell it as "increase" nowadays, not "encrease." Also, "emoluments" is not a commonly-used word any more.)

Article I, section 10:

"...and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress."

(We spell it as "control" nowadays, not "controul.")

My point is that spelling is fluid... For example, if enough people start spelling it as "choose" rather than "chuse," then, over time, "choose" will eventually be considered to be the "correct" spelling.

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : October 15, 2009 at 05:59 PM.