View Single Post
Old January 31, 2018, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default Maxwell Maltz and Self Image Psychology. Your built in governor.

A mechanical governor limits speed, pressure or control. Many small engines use governors to prevent overloading.

Maltz thought of our Self Image as our natural governor, and put forth the idea it is our self image (what we believe ourselves to be) is often the thing which holds us back and prevents us from fulfilling our potential.

I somewhat agree and have seen this over decades, usually in the form of self sabotage, people who are on their path to victory, exit when they hit rough seas.

You can see this on the Pyramid Of Accomplishment at the SQ1. www.sowpub.com/sq1

Many of these self images come from our childhood, and usually by age of 12, have been solidified and people most often see themselves as they do at that age.

It is one reason, although not the only which makes it harder for a person earning 30k a year to double their income, while someone at 100k a year can clearly see a way to double their income.

I think a lot of it goes to internal belief, or self-image.

Where I differ from Maltz and so many of the pop psychologists, or Law Of Attraction (LOA) or THE SECRET folk is here:

they go from TODAY toward their goal and never consider their past.

They teach, yea preach even the power of positive thinking. I see it as building your framework on a faulty foundation.

The Great TRIAD for me has been: Foundation, Framework and Focus.

What happens is people get all revved up, make a goal, execute their plan and may even take it down the road close to success, when all of a sudden, out of the clear blue skies comes a lightening bolt...and stops them in their tracks.

All too often it is that 12 year old screaming inside their heads, "YOU can't do that!" And whether you believe you can, or you can't, you are most often right.

Looking at financial goals is the easiest way to see things, we can count, know the value of money and can find PLANS, the ways and means of making our monetary goals take place.

But going from 30k a year to millionaire is beyond most people's self image, their natural governors kick in, no matter how positive, how much energy and time and how many positive people they surround themselves with, it is rare a person overcomes their own self limiting beliefs.

Yea, I'm a broken record, you all have heard this from me a million times, and yet, it just prevents so many people from reaching the other side of the bridge, getting across the rushing currents of need, scarcity, want and getting to the peaceful meadow of success and abundance.

Could it be your 12 year old inner self who is keeping you on the wrong side of the bridge?

Maltz, and many others have taught us that our self image can be changed and given us a lot of HOW TO information.

In response to an email from a reader who asked about what the businesses were which made the 250,000 dollars a year, I gave him several examples. Fact is, there are many businesses which could produce this income for you, but it is NEVER about the business, but wheter it gives you 250K a year or 60k a year...the difference is YOU.

Take the governors off of yourself and see how fast you can go, eh?

GordonJ