View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 06:09 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Hey Dien -- here's a crazy parcel idea I had -- especially for tax time!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
IRS says taxes are due on April 15th, right?
Has to be POSTMARKED on April 15th, right?

Now, if someone owed A LOT of taxes (lots of people do!), I mean thousands or hundreds of thousand$$$$$$, there could be a service that would send the return and check to the IRS... IN A BOX, sent by EXTREMELY SLOW MAIL (parcel post), FROM HAWAII -- still POSTMARKED 4/15, as required -- but the person using the service would get the BENEFIT of the check arriving at the IRS much LATER than normally, thus playing the "float" of having the $$$$ in one's bank that much longer. On a check for $200,000, a few days difference, could be a big difference.
Hi TW,

Thanks - your posts are always highly creative...!

In this case - well, personally, I'd be wary of trying to "fiddle" with the IRS. Just in case there's some crazy law I'd overlooked (since I'm no expert in that area).

What makes me wary is I just read that the actor Wesley Snipes just got out of jail. He spent almost 2 1/2 years in jail. Sure, that was for intentionally not paying taxes (and we're talking millions of bucks here), so it's a different kettle of fish. However... Personally, it would still make me cautious...

Best wishes,

Dien