View Single Post
Old April 2, 2012, 09:05 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How a highly-sexual, once-banned novel is being used to sell socks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
And here silly me was thinking that the J Peterman Catalog only existed on Seinfeld!

...In this post, you'll find out how one business is using a highly-sexual, once banned book... to sell socks!

Hi YoungGuns,

It's true that Seinfeld did "parody" the style of the J. Peterman catalog! (They didn't get his permission, to my understanding, but he was okay with it anyway, figuring the extra publicity would be good for business!)

In the end, the J. Peterman company went bankrupt - but that was due to trying to expand their stores too quickly - it was not due to the catalog. John Peterman then bought the business name, and restarted the catalog business again.

Personally, I love the "copy" in the J. Peterman catalog!

It's very unique. What other catalog which sells clothing - uses drawings rather than photos?

It's the "positioning" that sells the clothing. I think people buy because they feel it's exclusive, they like the sense of exclusivity and "adventure" that accompanies the products in the catalog.

Their customers want adventure in their lives, like the "derring-do" adventures of the "old days," and also a feeling like they are part of "high society" too. Buying an item with an "adventurous" and "high prestige" story, which you can wear or use, is like the next best thing to actually having the adventure yourself!

It wouldn't work for every target market - but it works for them.

How about these? http://www.jpeterman.com/New-OM-No-9...pring-12-Socks

Quote:

Convivial Bonhomie in Taormina.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover wore socks like these.

D.H. Lawrence wore them as well when he wrote the book.

Henri, my new French guide for Sicily, is convinced all his assertions are true.

I am not quite so sure.

No matter. I do know these socks are pure English, light, comfortable, and made for adventure. My bespoke English sock maker uses the traditional hand-linked toe method to close the seam resulting in a virtually seamless sock.

Henri’s Socks (No. 3691), proprietary blend of cotton and nylon to create a cool (even if you’re near the glow of Mount Etna) feeling.

Sizes: M, L.

Colors: a. Teal, Navy, and Orange b. Pale Blue, Yellow, and Blue c. Hot Pink, Light Aqua, and Black d. Green, Navy, and Red.
Using D.H. Lawrence's once-banned, highly sexual book "Lady Chatterley's Lover" to sell socks?!?!!

Wow!

Why would people buy these socks?

I think it's probably because - after they've read the ad - when a customer wears these socks, the customer will feel a little bit like they're also "part of" the world of D.H. Lawrence and Lady Chatterley's Lover!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 2, 2012 at 09:27 AM.