View Single Post
Old February 10, 2019, 04:47 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default An ADD/ADHD-related rant!

While I've never been tested, I believe I am somewhere on the ADD/ADHD spectrum...

My history shows it... I've been a physics academic, online publisher, online marketer, sales professional, English language instructor (for about 4 months in Seoul, South Korea), scientific editor, exporter (to West Africa), physics consultant, business consultant, band manager, and more...

One symptom I have is I am deathly afraid of boredom.

It can sometimes be so bad, that I hesitate to take a shower, because I'm afraid of being bored for the 10-15 minutes I'll be in the shower. (Even though I listen to music when I shower. I've recently started listening to short podcasts - less than 15 minutes - when I shower, again to combat boredom...)

I have a number of things I do to prevent boredom. Before smartphones, I used to always take a book with me if I left the house, so I could read (and avoid boredom) if I had to wait around for some reason. Now, I've got unlimited reading material on my smartphone, so it's much easier!

It can be both a blessing and a curse. Because of my getting bored, I've changed "professions" (and businesses) many times, and I've gained a ridiculously wide range of skills... Also, if I'm interested in something, I can spend a lot of time doing it with no problem...

But on the other hand, sometimes it's a struggle just to do simple things (especially if they're boring). Unfortunately, life is full of little boring tasks you have to do...

I know many here will be able to relate to this, and some will think it's nuts... Just thought I'd put it out there!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Written while procrastinating, because I have something boring I need to do...