View Single Post
Old February 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Do you need to be an expert in coding to build a successful startup??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
No...but you have to know what you want and how you expect it to function and be able to communicate this in clear and concise terms....and hope you have made the right choice in a developer.

Ankesh is correct in saying you have to find the good developer.
Wow, I think there's some great advice here, from both Cornell and Ankesh! (By the way, I believe Cornell developed the "AthenaGold" website software, which helps you easily create your own website, including membership websites...)

I just spoke to my brother Thomas on the phone, and asked him (off the cuff) what his take was on Duane's question...

He said...

1. If you are not a programmer, it is harder to recognize who is a good programmer, and who isn't. That means you're more likely to hire a programmer who's not very good.

Both Ankesh and Cornell also mentioned this, and gave solutions that non-programmers could use to address this problem.

2. Another thing my brother mentioned is that some freelance programmers have a "pet peeve" of being asked to do things that are impossible. This is because non-programmers don't have a good feeling for what is possible, and what isn't.

Cornell already addressed this issue, too!

Anyway, wow, great advice here.

Of course, there are still about a zillion ways to make money without needing to deal with programmers - but it's good to know this advice, if you ever decide you do want to create any "custom-made" software for your business and/or website...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : February 26, 2012 at 09:36 PM.