View Single Post
Old October 29, 2011, 06:17 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Who "owns" an event?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
I'm thinking of starting a local event (2, actually).

I don't care if it makes money the 1st couple of times (annual event). I need help from organizers, who would also be volunteers (no one gets paid, not even me). But at some point the event WOULD start making $$ (I hope).

How do I make sure *I* "own" the event? What's stopping someone else from just taking over + "hijacking" the entire entity?
Hi TW,

If the name of your event is unique, then you can trademark the name.

You could also trademark any unique mascots or other unique symbols you might use to help promote the event.

You could also look into protection regarding "trade dress" - which is the "look and feel" of something. You can protect the trade dress of documents related to the event (such as promotional documents), if they have a distinctive look and feel. You might even be able to protect the "trade dress" of the event itself - if it is sufficiently unique. I know that you can protect the "look and feel" of a restaurant - such as the color scheme used, for example - so I don't see why that couldn't apply to a festival (though keep in mind I am not a legal professional).

Any materials you produce can also be protected under copyright laws as well.

To my understanding, trademarks and trade dress have to be registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office in order to have any legal force.

Anyway, those are some ideas off the cuff... Hopefully, it is helpful.

Disclaimer: I ain't no legal professional, and you should go see one if you want proper legal-type advice!

Best wishes,

Dien