View Single Post
Old December 19, 2017, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Default The right habits to build are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Gordon,

Thank you for this post.

A key challenge in building habits is knowing the RIGHT habit to build.

We are bombarded with so much advice on the "success habits" we're supposed to have.

In fact, just this morning, I saw a headline that promised to reveal the 132 secrets of achievers!

Quite a bit of time is spent sieving through all the fluff/false promises to find the FUNDAMENTALS to focus on

Thanks again

First thing, success is a subjective idea. How do you measure it? Your yardstick is going to be differnet from mine and different from everyone.

Are "acheivers" successful? Take awards, like the Oscars or Emmies. Total high school King and Queen of the Prom sort of thing, with maybe the technical awards where only peers get to voice their opinion being OK, but in Art, if you accept the kudos, you agree to the criticisms too.

Although I don't like Woody Allen and boycott his movies, I do like his take on the Academy Awards, totally useless, pablam for the masses. Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein are both high achievers, but, would you say they are successful? Again, goes back to your opinion and view point.

Matt Lauer, one of the higest paid (very successful, eh?) TV personalities ever, a success by almost all yardsticks, right? Unless you use the Creep O Meter, although he successfully ranks high on that too.

So there really aren't any right habits, until you clearly define what success means to you.

I am a simpleton, reducing things down to the number of fingers on one hand.

A habit of health. Which means understanding what goes into the mouth is important, and what comes out of it, even more important.

Habits of successful health; diet, exercise, breathing...could easily, and often do, get waylaid by genetics, what you were born with, and although your habits may be those of health, like Jim Fixx, the guy who wrote the books on running, dropped dead of a heart attack but appearing to be in great health.

So, you take into account what you came into the world with.

A habit of thought, a habit of place, a habit of relationships, a habit of finances, a habit of spirit...there, instead of 132, or 27...those are the 5 habits which most likely take one to success.

The body and mind are not seperate, what affects one effects the other, and all of this has been on the SQ1 for two decades now.

When you have clearly chosen to be aware of and participate in the RESPONSIBILITY of your own life, I don't believe the habits one develops are all that confusing or overwhelming. Are they?

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : December 19, 2017 at 10:10 AM.