View Single Post
Old August 5, 2017, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default Part Two

Cont.

Now I did try to drop out of school, several times. But there was a man who kept influencing me to go back. He was a Navy recruiter who convinced me that a 'guaranteed school' due to a high school diploma, was a better deal than being the low man on the totem pole of an aircraft carrier, where I would spend my days scrubbing out toilets, or worse yet, the grunt seaman they put on a river patrol boat in Vietnam.

My recruiter made some convincing arguments about the benefits of a high school diploma. So I stayed, and by some miracle (like them kicking me out) I graduated, and was thus able to join the Navy.

I enlisted for 6 years in the Nuclear Power program. There was only one hitch my recruiter told me. I would have to take a "battery of aptitude" tests in basic training, and if I didn't pass, then the Navy would still guarantee me a school, but NOT nuclear power or electronics, and I would only have to serve four years. He said not to worry about that, he assured me I was intelligent enough to pass the tests.

Armed with this information, I caught up on some sleep the day the aptitude tests were given. And a couple of weeks later, some grim faced Petty Officer told me I wasn't smart enough to get into nuclear power school, but they would honor the guaranteed school part, and I would only be in 4 years. My oh my, what a disaster, I had to repress a belly laugh.

I picked cooking school in San Diego which is where I wanted to go and what I WANTED TO DO since my junior year. Thanks to being dumb, and not having the aptitude for nuclear power, I GOT EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.

Once I got to cooking school, I then volunteered for the Submarine Service. And cooks on submarines didn't have to be smart. They were needed. And I again got EXACTLY what I wanted.

Because I KNEW what I wanted.

Now this is the first KEY for you to take notes on. Knowing WHAT YOU WANT AND WHY YOU WANT IT is what I call Square One. That is what I want to do for you, help you find out once and for all what it is you want. Then and ONLY then, can you learn how to get it.

What is the IDEAL business for you? Or the IDEAL career? Or the (gasp) IDEAL job?

It is the one that satisfies your most INNER BEING. It is the one that you can't wait to do, feel good about doing, take pride in, and helps define you as a person. How many of you TODAY, want to be defined by your work?
I don't see many hands in the air, so I'll assume, once again, that is the reason you have paid me a visit, to LEARN what activities are going to give you all the things you REALLY need in your life to live a HAPPY, PROSPEROUS, AND FULFILLED LIFE. Sounds good?

Your IDEAL is wrapped up in three areas.
  1. Heredity
  2. Environment
  3. Desires
Of the three, DESIRE is by far and away the most important. But the first two can not be ignored. They are often the reasons that PREVENT you from fulfilling your full potential. They are hidden, built in limiters on a lifetime of activity, and most of you are totally unaware of these secret forces.

A burning DESIRE, coupled with MEANINGFUL action in the direction of your goal, is the KNOWN FORMULA for getting what you want.

Where most of you fizzle, is finding that BURNING DESIRE.

There are times when you may catch fire, get motivated and pumped up about an idea or a business opportunity, only to work hard and FAIL, or quit or simply give up before you reach your goal. Ever attended a seminar that made you feel great, got you excited, for a few days, or weeks. Then what?

Then came the daily MUNDANE activities that are so often needed in almost every type of business. Mundane acts that we HATE to do. So we end up not doing them.

Many people continue this pattern that runs their life, may even be ruining your life. Where do these patterns come from.

Well, this is where it is important to take a peek at your environment and hereditary factors. Most so called counselors totally ignore these influences, and try to convince you that if you find your aptitudes and abilities and match them to some job or business opportunity, that is all there is to it.

But, as in the example above, we can not run on enthusiasm for very long if we are not prepared to do the mundane along with it. And the reason you may not be ready to do whatever it takes, lies hidden in your past.

See most of us never consider what influences are at work when we make decisions about careers or jobs or businesses. We don't recognize that we may have been greatly influenced in our childhood, and that those influences lie buried beneath the surface of our consciousness.

CONT in part 3