View Single Post
Old September 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
SteveSki

Default Re: Steve -- question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Those boxes do look great.

But whenever I see grow-your-own-stuff type boxes + planters for fruits, vegs, + even herbs, etc., I think to myself, "Yes, but I will certainly harvest/eat that stuff WAY FASTER THAN IT GROWS (back)." --- no?

How long does it take to grow 10 tomatoes vs. how long it takes to EAT 10 tomatoes. Seems like you're still gonna buy a lot of produce at the store -- no?

Hi TW, Thanks for asking about the EZYGROW Planters.

I always think, since I have to buy food and eat anyway - which is the better choice for me? Grow some of my own or not? Which cost more? Which tastes better? Which choice is better for my body?

I’m only using the planters to grow mostly greens. We drink a lot of green smoothies and as Robert pointed out the planters are high end and not for everyone. My wife likes them because they are easy to move and look good. They are heavy and we don’t have the new wheels on ours yet but all it takes to slide them around is a just slight push. I like them because before we had them we use to buy most of our Kale, Lettuce and Spinach or Silverbeet at our farmers market held every Sunday. The greens would take up most of the space in our refrigerator making it hard to find what you where looking for and greens don’t keep well for more than a few days in the fridge. Plus we go on frequent photo safari trips and often can’t make it to the Sunday Market.

So now it’s nice to have plenty of leftover space in the fridge as we just pluck out greens from the planters and put them straight into the blender plus when we return we can look forward to having more fresh greens than before we left!

Honestly, we would have probably never purchased these on our own. The EZGROW people tracked us down because a few years ago my wife and I purchased a digital projector and started to hold pupil viewings of the movie “Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days” At the viewings we made green smoothies for people to sample because it’s a very easy and great tasting way to increase your consumption of healthy raw food and start experiencing the benefits of improved health, energy and weight loss.

Barry who owns the EZGROW business was introduced to Green Smoothies by Glenda who discovered Green Smoothies from us. After a few months of drinking Green Smoothies and feeling the difference they made to his energy levels Barry tracked us down and offered to give us 4 EZGROW Planters and of course we are happy to promote him because its something we believe in. During the time Barry made us the offer and the actual delivery of our planters I did a bit of research on container gardens and came across this site at: www.globalbuckets.org

I made one of the buckets. I already had a drill but had to buy a few hole saws, PVC pipe and two 5 gallon buckets plus it took well over an hour to drill all of the air holes in the buckets. The buckets don’t do a very good job of preventing heat transferring to the roots of the plants. The EZYGROW Planters are doubled walled and the pocket of air between the walls provide excellent insulation from the heat. The two young brothers with the Global Buckets site are now recommending using Grow Bags as the best low cost solution to container gardening and I just planted up 10 grow bags with tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers / capsicums so I’ll let you know how they work for us.

We had to go photograph in Brisbane for a week recently and the EZGROW Planters did well on their own because of the water reservoir built into the bottom. But with the grow bags you have to water them several times a day because they dry out so quickly so I’m installing a drip irrigation system on a automatic timer in preparation for our next trip away from home.

Anyway, I’m grateful to Barry for reintroducing me to gardening. Always had a real dirt garden in my backyard back in the States but here in Australia we live in a 3 bedroom townhouse that only has a small patio for a backyard so for people like us, container gardening is great!

Cheers,
Steve

PS… I just adding the video clip that our local TV Cameraman shot to the bottom of the front page of www.Rent-A-Garden.org

Last edited by SteveSki : September 24, 2011 at 08:13 AM.