View Single Post
Old August 11, 2021, 04:20 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Traveling where you want... continuously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Living like a king, in the P.I. Except for Baguio I can't imagine the P.I. as a full time castle. A little too tropical for me.

But it brings up a point.

Living like a king in NYC, LA, and other urban hot spots requires more treasure than living in, say, Ohio rural. No problem if you know how to generate the moolah as needed.

Of course, might be more fun watching a Broadway show than watching the cows come home.

A compromise might be living on the cheaper landscape which puts more coin in the bank, which can be used for extended or more often trips to the big city, if so inclined.

Sure, to each his own and all that, but isn't it great to have the options and choose where and when you want to live?

Of course, a suitcase or brief case business, a mobile business, a Toll Position, a passive income gives one more choices.

But having a roost to come back to when the sun comes up, may be one ideal way to go about it, eh?
Hi Gordon,

I forgot that you've probably been to the Philippines (in your navy days)!

I've never been there... though I've been to other places in SouthEast Asia and East Asia...

One appeal, of course, is a cheap cost of living! (The other appeal is adventure!)

My former roommate is probably not the type who would be good at making a living from his laptop...

But... if one wants to retire to exotic overseas locations, or even live there before retiring... (apart from Covid) it's easier than ever...

I do believe we'll get to some kind of "normal" - and it will become more feasible again...

Of course, people ARE still doing it during Covid (though in my observation, they tend to be younger folks)...

We're thinking of doing something like that a few years down the track, for a little while anyway... (We'll see what happens!)

One guy I follow on YouTube - Alexander White - is a youngish (in his 20s I think?) American guy who's doing that...

He made a video on how he did it.

- When he started out, he was teaching English overseas, as many do... (He started in Vietnam.)
- He then got to teaching English online (with live video), which freed him from having to be at a certain location
- He also found that he could sell his services editing people's videos, which he could also do remotely... (His customers could be anywhere in the world...)
- He then started making his own YouTube videos, and over time, he made money that way
- Over time, he found he made more and more from his YouTube videos, and gradually reduced his English teaching and video editing services...

Here's his video where he talks about this (filmed in Bali)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0vUJvSdR4

But... you could do even better when you know about toll positions, and (the other thing I'm getting big on), how to compete...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Also along these lines, I know of an Australian copywriter, Brian Cassingena, who lived for about a year in Bangkok, Thailand... If you're a copywriter, you don't have to be located in any particular location...