Thread: Hauling Ice
View Single Post
Old December 3, 2011, 02:48 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Hauling Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
I polished the headlights on a Volvo semi truck yesterday, and learned a bit about the ice business. The driver, who turned out to be the owner of a trucking business, had on a T-shirt that said "Hauling Ice" on the back.

He owns five trucks, that run full time, and have been on the road for eight years. All he hauls is new ice machines from Ice House America. There are two machines in my small town, and the web site reports over 2,200 of the things sold already.

Who knew the ice business was such a big thing? Billions of dollars a year spent on ice and water.
Thanks Boz,

Many years ago, I remember I was browsing the internet, reading a lot of articles (as I tend to do when I procrastinate)...

This article said something like - it's only once you start a business, that the opportunities start rolling in!

At the time, I had only just started in business... So, at that time, I didn't quite know what it meant...

However, what you wrote about is a great illustration of how it works.

By cleaning headlights, new knowledge and information is coming to you - probably every day, from those customers you speak to, and from others, too...

Some of that information constitutes opportunities that could be built on, if you choose to do so.

However, if you had never started in business in the first place - that knowledge, and those opportunities, would have stayed away!

By just being in business, you are constantly getting new information - and new opportunities - that you would not even know about, otherwise.

Also - the more established you are in business, the more opportunities will come your way!

However, you have to get started for this to happen, and you have to be open-minded to new information. (Don't shut your mind off!)

It's counter-intuitive, but it's true.

I think it's one of the most remarkable - and fascinating - things about being in business!

Best wishes,

Dien