View Single Post
Old July 21, 2011, 08:24 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default You're right! (and also, a local business opportunity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
I barely get it myself, but newspapers sure don't get it. Of course I'm making an assumption here, which is that the newspapers want to inform us of whatever it is they write about.

How hard would it be to put "from Duluth Minnesota..." somewhere on the page?

Hi Bozo,

I agree! I've had the same kind of problem...

I do some "online research" which often takes me to various local newspaper websites... And often, it's hard to tell exactly where it is, from the article or the name of the paper. (I've found a bit of "Googling" can often solve the problem, though...)

Here's an example - from my "archives"...

This is a newspaper article about people who have started websites promoting businesses in their local community... of Whitestone...

"Whitestone sites share niche"
http://www.yournabe.com/articles/201...t_20110120.txt

But, where is Whitestone?

The name of the website - "YourNabe" - gives no clue...

Anyhow, I found out (thanks to some Googling) that it is in Queens, New York - though it's not obvious... ("Queens" is mentioned on the page, but "New York" is mentioned nowhere in the header or the article...)

By the way, there's a potential business opportunity idea in this article - creating a website to promote and advertise local businesses. We have talked about similar ideas to that here before...

If you can succeed in bringing more customers to your local businesses, they're likely to be happy to pay you for it...! The key to success with it would be getting the traffic and eyeballs to your website... (An emailed "newsletter" could be critical to getting repeat local traffic - if I were doing this idea, I would definitely combine the website with an emailed newsletter, with local news and also news of special local deals... If you can grow your opt-in subscribers, that could also be a "persuasion tool" to getting businesses to advertise with you.)

Best wishes,

Dien