SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to entrepreneurship or self-improvement
or post your stories or articles.....

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 1, 2012, 04:32 PM
Don't Ever Give Up!

Default (CHALLENGE) Turn These 5 Items Into a $ Making Product

I was at the dollar store a few days ago, buying my son some arts and crafts stuff and I found and bought the following 5 items: (see pic below)

* One black framed 8 x 10 mirror

* One roll of black electrical tape

* One sheet of black card stock paper

* One package of red 1/2" alphabet/number stickers

* One package of silver 1/2" alphabet/number stickers

I bought these 5 item with an idea in my head of what I was going to do with then and how to turn them into a product that I could make money with and I will share that here soon, but I thought I would challenge everyone here

to see what creative ideas you guys could come up with to turn these 5 items into a money making product, so please post your ideas here.

Please feel free to add items if you need, but please try to only add items that could be found at most dollar stores.

Thanks,

Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050112153150.jpg (59.0 KB, 25 views)
Old May 1, 2012, 11:42 PM
Don't Ever Give Up!

Default Ok, Here's What I Created With The 5 Items To Make Money

Well it's been awhile and no one has suggested an idea or even made a comment, so I figured I would just go ahead and share here a picture mock-up of what I did with the 5 dollar store items:

In a nutshell my plan is to get 5 busy barbershops willing to hang these business card ad mirrors on thier wall personalized with thier babershops name in exchange for $20 per month and I will be selling each business card ad spot for $100 per month, so that's $400 a month, minus $100 per month to the barbershops, which leaves a profit of $300 a month.

Now, this idea can be scaled up to 10, 15, or 20 barbershops, which will increase your profits to $600, $900 or $1,200 per month.

I just wanted to share and show that if your a little creative and take action, that using simple items from a dollar store can be turned into a way to make money.

Let me know what you think of this idea?

To your success,

Martin
Old May 4, 2012, 12:59 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for sharing your idea...

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing your idea...

I do believe these ad programs can work in the right circumstances... Will you be able to "rent" the mirrors to the barbershops as you plan? I suspect you'll have more success providing them to the barbershops for free...

Please share how it works out for you with the barbershops...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 4, 2012, 01:20 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Oops, my mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I do believe these ad programs can work in the right circumstances... Will you be able to "rent" the mirrors to the barbershops as you plan? I suspect you'll have more success providing them to the barbershops for free...
Ah, I see... my mistake! You're planning to pay each barbershop $20 per month (not ask them to pay)...

- Dien
Old May 6, 2012, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Oops, my mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Ah, I see... my mistake! You're planning to pay each barbershop $20 per month (not ask them to pay)...

- Dien

Martin -- a fly in the ointment? While, yes, the advertisers get the advantage of having their ads quite literally STARE the potential customers IN THE FACE.

But... aren't those same advertisers ALSO staring the shop OWNER in the face? Wouldn't the owner's next step be to contact the advertisers + get *all* the $$$? In other words, what's stopping the barber from using his SCISSORS + "cutting out the middleman?"

Please advise.

-- TW
Old May 7, 2012, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Oops, my mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Martin -- a fly in the ointment? While, yes, the advertisers get the advantage of having their ads quite literally STARE the potential customers IN THE FACE.

But... aren't those same advertisers ALSO staring the shop OWNER in the face? Wouldn't the owner's next step be to contact the advertisers + get *all* the $$$? In other words, what's stopping the barber from using his SCISSORS + "cutting out the middleman?"

Please advise.

-- TW

How many barbers cold call now to get new business?
Old May 7, 2012, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks F/Sharing! High End Hair Salons and Barber Shops Hair Stylists Love to Talk!

Quick {TIDBIT} of information that I'll be Using without Even having to WALK into One Single Barber Shop...

Most Won't Even Be Called that Starting 2012-2020! ...

.... High End Hair Salons and Barber Shops Hair Stylists Love to Talk... $$$$...
http://www.futuristspeaker.com/2012/...ay-be-applied/
http://www.google.com/search?q=27+Ja...ient=firefox-a
http://www.google.com/search?q=Incor...ient=firefox-a

STEALING THAT ONE... Once Again! ...

As Per...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30801

WOW! I just HIT a HOT one!

Phil

Last edited by Phil : May 7, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old May 7, 2012, 07:44 PM

Default Not cold calling at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamison View Post
How many barbers cold call now to get new business?

It wouldn't be cold calling. That's my point. The barber merely has to call the very same vendors that are already paying the monthly "rent" to you. Not cold calling at all.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Not cold calling at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
It wouldn't be cold calling. That's my point. The barber merely has to call the very same vendors that are already paying the monthly "rent" to you. Not cold calling at all.
Is that possible? Sure, I suppose.

Is it likely? Not really.

At some point, you have to trust the people you work with. A barber shop guy is not going to take the time to call the advertisers. Even if he did, the advertisers are Martin's clients, not the barber shop's. If Marty has a good relationship with those clients, they're not going to "cut him out."
Old June 3, 2012, 08:49 AM
The Headlight Guy

Default Re: Not cold calling at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRG View Post
Is that possible? Sure, I suppose.

Is it likely? Not really.

At some point, you have to trust the people you work with. A barber shop guy is not going to take the time to call the advertisers. Even if he did, the advertisers are Martin's clients, not the barber shop's. If Marty has a good relationship with those clients, they're not going to "cut him out."

I agree with RRG. I've seen this over and over, where a person has a "really good idea", and their first thought is that someone will steal it from them. Before they will even tell you the idea, they insist on nondisclosure agreements or contracts of some sort to 'protect' themselves.

In every case that I've seen, the result is nothing is signed and the idea is stillborn.

The truth about ideas is that if you have a really good idea, you'll have to shove it down their throats and the possibility of them stealing it is very low.

It's like the headlight cleaning I do. Many people have been interested in my process when they stop by. It's obvious that I'm making money doing it, and some have even asked me how much I make, or offer the opinion that this is a really good idea. Would be competitors, from the sound of several of them. But not a one of them has actually tried to copy me.