SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Hi Tom:

If you open the DNT+ t you will see the 3 icons (social networks, ad network, and companies)

Clicking on an icon will tell you who is doing the tracking.

Right now while I am on SOWPub I have 5 trackers blocked.....no social...1 ad....4 companies - 2 of which are Google.

Also the 1 ad is from Quantcast and after reading about them I think it may be coming from the hosting server for SOWPub.

Chartbeat...is an analytical script that may be monitoring the forum activities ...at least that is what I am taking from their web site.
Hi Cornell,

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Google ads...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 13, 2012, 12:21 AM
Phil

Default Gary Kovacs: Tracking the trackers, Those who Missed this Cool Tool & Presentation!

More [related] Tracking the Trackers...

Additional Cool Tool, Technology and Much more...

{{Hotsheets}}, misc. Business ideas, models & Creativity...

Throughout [multiple] Niches... Endless re-workable Opportunities!

Gary Kovacs: Tracking the trackers

Who's tracking you online? Watch the TED Talk from Mozilla CEO Gary Kovacs...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8142

Phil
Old September 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
sandalwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Tom,

It most likely is related to the vBulletin software we use for the forum.

Might have to do with "cookies" (so that the forum "remembers" who you are, so you can be "automatically" logged in when you visit)?

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment...

The only "fancy schmancy" software I use on Sowpub is the forum software, so I don't think it could be anything else...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

That's what I thought but couldn't articulate it given my no tech knowledge base. The program is probably geared to id what you explained. I didn't try it while I was on the WF but will to see what it says about them.

At least we are learning something. All it takes is one dumb bunny (me) to start walking out into the water and we all learn how deep it is

Tom
Old September 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
sandalwood

Quote:
Hi Tom:

If you open the DNT+ t you will see the 3 icons (social networks, ad network, and companies)

Clicking on an icon will tell you who is doing the tracking.

Right now while I am on SOWPub I have 5 trackers blocked.....no social...1 ad....4 companies - 2 of which are Google.

Also the 1 ad is from Quantcast and after reading about them I think it may be coming from the hosting server for SOWPub.

Chartbeat...is an analytical script that may be monitoring the forum activities ...at least that is what I am taking from their web site.

Thanks Cornell,

What you say makes sense. I will have to look into it and see if I can figure it out using your explanation. I don't pretend to udnerstand all this stuff but when somebody holds my hand I can usually grasp it and go from there.

I appreciate your help.

Tom

P.S.

While in this thread I hit the do not track + and got this message:

You turned off privacy detection and blocking here.
You can block this site again.
I of course elected not to block this site the very first time I got this message. I cannot see what you reference in this box as the next thing in the box is:

You can also view the
complete list of sites that you allow to track you.

When I click on the offered link it shows me I have not blocked sowpub. Hell, I knew that. Still no 3 option offering. I will have to try DNT+ when I leave sowpub and see what happens. I'll report back.

Last edited by sandalwood : September 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add PS
Old September 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
sandalwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Thanks Cornell,

What you say makes sense. I will have to look into it and see if I can figure it out using your explanation. I don't pretend to udnerstand all this stuff but when somebody holds my hand I can usually grasp it and go from there.

I appreciate your help.

Tom

P.S.

While in this thread I hit the do not track + and got this message:

You turned off privacy detection and blocking here.
You can block this site again.
I of course elected not to block this site the very first time I got this message. I cannot see what you reference in this box as the next thing in the box is:

You can also view the
complete list of sites that you allow to track you.

When I click on the offered link it shows me I have not blocked sowpub. Hell, I knew that. Still no 3 option offering. I will have to try DNT+ when I leave sowpub and see what happens. I'll report back.

OK, I tried it on yahoo and the WF and this box appeared:

No social networks found here. .
No ad networks found here. ..
1 company tracking you: 1 blocked

Obviously that isn't a box but those are the three that showed up. When I came back to sowpub I again was shown what I wrote above. Amazing, at least to me.

Tom
Old September 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Operation Santa Claus...and who am I to they/them.

OPERATION
Santa Claus

Believe it or don't. Gov't operation to track all Internet/Phone activity. It sees you when you're sleeping, it knows when you are awake.
Be good for goodness sake. Nuff said.

Join me. OR DON'T.

I've started a revolution. Wrote about it some time ago.

Went to Google. Bing. Yahoo. MSN. Searched for pre-natal vitamins. Diapers. Formula. Cribs. Took about 10 minutes.

Turned off my AVG tracker while doing this, I wanted all the cookies I could get.

So, here's my FUN 15 minutes a day.

Everywhere I go, but especially at YouTube and Facebook...I'm served up ads.

From companies who have SPENT MONEY to be placed in front of the most valued market anywhere...a pregnant woman. GOLD. Platinum target.

I click on the ads, go to site, fill up shopping cart and let it sit for the time I'm online. Then when I'm done, I abandon the cart at the far end of the parking lot, so to speak.

Only a few times a day, BUT, I want these customers and providers like Google and Facebook to take a small hit. Sure, very small.

But in the spirit of Arlo Guthrie and Alice's Restaurant, imagine if only 1,000 people a day did this. NO, think big. IMAGUNE one million people a day hitting the same web site, say TARGET for example because they collect more data on you than Uncle Santa does...

Imagine one million people a day filling up TARGET shopping carts full of diapers and formula and then leaving the cart in the isle.

How effective would this INTRUSIVE advertising be? Oh, it's just a revolution of one...

for now.

Respectfully,

Gordina the 27 year old pregnant woman

PS First lesson on computers I got in 1969 was....

Garbage IN- Garbage OUT GIGO keep it in mind.

Quote:
For those concerned about your movements on the internet being tracked...

I added this free program to all my browsers yesterday afternoon and at this point the program has blocked 819 attempts at tracking my movements using Firefox, and 3 in IE (I seldom use IE anymore and only visited one site using it since installing the program).

If you are interested the link for it is http://www.donottrackplus.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this program in any way, nor am I endorsing it...you can judge if it is beneficial to you.

Hint: To install in more than one browser you need to open each browser and download and install through the open browser.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Cornell

Hi Tom:

Well you definitely won't get Google tracking you from the yahoo site.

Since you have chosen to be tracked those are the settings for that site. Personally I don't allow any site to track me.

As I have never allowed I have not encountered how to change back to block....think you will need to go to their web site for that answer.

I have attached 3 images of the DNT+ while on this thread...don't know if they will help you or not.

C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sowpub1.jpg (19.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sowpub2.jpg (16.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sowpub3.jpg (18.2 KB, 2 views)
Old September 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
sandalwood

Quote:
Hi Tom:

Well you definitely won't get Google tracking you from the yahoo site.

Since you have chosen to be tracked those are the settings for that site. Personally I don't allow any site to track me.

As I have never allowed I have not encountered how to change back to block....think you will need to go to their web site for that answer.

I have attached 3 images of the DNT+ while on this thread...don't know if they will help you or not.

C.

Cornell,

Thank you for your help and I appreciate the images. Yours truly will get into it a little more. If I find the answer, I will report back.

Again, thanks for your help.

Tom
Old September 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Fishman

This is why I like you so much Gordon. A renegade at heart! Just like me. Thanks for the "input". Now I've got to go and collect some garbage and dump it in the parking lot! Ha!

Fred
Old September 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
sandalwood

I don't know if anyone is interested in this article but it covers do not track in a very decent manner:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-to...cking-you.html

It offers 5 alternatives including DNT+ (#1 on the list)

Tom