SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 24, 2009, 05:41 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I met a ridiculously extraordinary guy yesterday...

Yesterday, I met a man living a life of ridiculous, extraordinary freedom...

I've met him before (many years ago), in the frozen snowy terrain of Michigan. However, now he's truly living his free life...

What does that mean?
  • He can travel to where he wants, when he wants.
  • He doesn't have to answer to a boss.
  • He doesn't have to punch a "time clock" (literally, or metaphorically)
  • He is free to follow his passions and interests!
That guy is... Karol Gajda.

(Pronounced like "Carl", not like "Carol"!)

Karol (who has posted on this forum starting many years ago) is currently traveling. He's working on the road from his laptop, while enjoying the sights at the same time... He's currently in Melbourne, Australia (where I live), and will soon be pushing on to see the rest of Australia...

What did we do? Well, yesterday we went to Phillip Island and saw some koalas, wallabies (which are small kangaroos), and penguins, all in their natural environment... You can't come to Australia without seeing the wildlife!

(Yes, Australia has penguins!)

How does Karol do it - how does he manage to spend months traveling, and still survive and thrive financially?

Well, it's the beauty of the internet... If you're making profits from the internet, you can work from wherever you want! (As long as you have an internet connection!)

Anyway, I urge you to check out Karol's blog... I think it's extraordinarily good! It's called... "Ridiculously Extraordinary"...

Karol admits that's a ridiculously extraordinary name for a blog, but that's why he likes it!

It's not really an "internet marketing" blog, but it's still full of great, practical advice...

Here's the link...

http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com

It's full of some great stories too! (As well as being a successful entrepreneur, Karol's also a talented writer as well...) You can read about both his travel adventures and his entrepreneurial adventures too...!

Keep an eye on Karol, as he's got a few things "up his sleeve" that you should be seeing in the future...

(And in addition to that, he's also a pretty cool guy, and an ethical entrepreneur as well - which is something I have great respect for!)

Check it out! He's not selling anything there (he makes his money in other ways)... And Karol's the "real deal" when it comes to successful entrepreneurship...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : September 24, 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: updated
Old September 25, 2009, 01:08 AM
KarolGajda

Default Re: I met a ridiculously extraordinary guy yesterday...

Hey Dien,

Thanks for posting this.

I had an awesome time hanging out. The Pay What You Feel restaurant (Lentil As Anything, for those of you who are interested) was so good I went back today. I love that concept.

I'm leaving Melb tomorrow to drive The Great Ocean Road in a campervan for 5 days. Good times ahead...

Thanks again and talk soon!

Karol
Old September 25, 2009, 11:12 AM
Adman

Default How'd Karol make his first "Big Hit"...

...and...how is he earning most of his bux now?

Just curious. Sounds like a Great Lifestyle.

Don Alm
Old September 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolGajda View Post
I had an awesome time hanging out. The Pay What You Feel restaurant (Lentil As Anything, for those of you who are interested) was so good I went back today. I love that concept.

I'm leaving Melb tomorrow to drive The Great Ocean Road in a campervan for 5 days. Good times ahead...
Hi Karol,

I had forgotten to mention "Lentil As Anything", the "pay what you feel" restaurant. For others, I've posted about it on Sowpub before...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21685

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12438

Thanks for reminding me!

I had a great time hanging out too! I hope you have a great rest-of-your "ridiculously, extraordinary" trip!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 25, 2009, 08:18 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: How'd Karol make his first "Big Hit"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
...and...how is he earning most of his bux now?

Just curious. Sounds like a Great Lifestyle.
Hi Don,

I don't want to steal Karol's "thunder"... Karol's posted a little bit about the very early beginnings on his blog, Ridiculously Extraordinary. See the entry,

"How A 19 Year Old Made $5,000 In 30 days While Simultaneously Breaking Every Copyright Law In The Books, Getting Kicked Off Of eBay, and Going To College Full Time"

That way is NOT recommended (and Karol said that period lasted less than a month, if I remember right). He was a young and naive teenager at that time...

For many years, Karol made a "killing" from selling his "Free Auction Profits" ebook, and from doing what he explains in that ebook...

You can now read the whole ebook for free from

http://www.freeauctionprofits.com

As for other things, I believe Karol will reveal more in his blog some time in the future... However, from meeting him (this was the second time I'd met him), I can say he's a pretty sharp guy who could help anybody do well online, and he's made profits in multiple ways, doing quite diverse things...

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 30, 2009, 09:28 PM
KarolGajda

Hey Don and Dien,

Thanks for the question/comments.

There were no "big hits." Just lots of base hits and doubles. A big hit isn't necessary to do whatever you want in life. A nice car, a big house, and all the other trappings of "success" are useless. I sold my BMW and rented out my house (both remnants of my former consumerist past) before I left. I'm effectively "homeless." I even sold my beloved Gibson SG guitar because what use is it if I can't play it?

Example about not needing a lot to live an extraordinary life:
Yesterday I posted a tweet about my expenses since leaving for Australia on 1 Sept. I calculated it out of curiosity since I don't have an actual budget for this trip. $1750 USD in 30 days. That includes all accommodations, foods, transportation, and entertainment. If I didn't eat out 2-3 times/day it would be half. It doesn't include my plane ticket to get here from the US though.

RE: Free Auction Profits. I never made that much money from that eBook. I think it sold 2,000 or so copies at $20-$30 (there were 2 versions). At least half the sales were from affiliates and it was sold through Clickbank (huge fees) so my actual profit on that eBook was probably $20k total. I have it up for free as a sort of archive since the eBook is completely outdated now.

I released a few products after FAP that did a lot better, but I've made most of my income from affiliate marketing. And I still do a variation of that while on the road.

Like Dien stated, I have some ideas/plans for the future, but they're a long ways out. I'm not exactly itching to get back into the "how to make money" biz. I do have a goal of helping 100 people achieve Ridiculously Extraordinary Freedom and that will happen over time...

Cheers!
Karol
Old October 7, 2009, 09:20 PM
Landlord Rental

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the good life without all the physical stuff.
I too am "homeless" by choice, have no more belongings than can fit in my car, and travel the world on relatively modest means. It helps, of course, that my girlfriend's a travel nurse, so our housing is provided for free, but the internet is a beautiful thing for freeing yourself from attachment to a single location.
A cell phone, a laptop, a mobile broadband modem... that's the only office I have, and the only office I hope I'll ever need.
Cheers,