SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 4, 2007, 10:11 PM
James Anthony

Default A proud parenting moment....

I've been taking a break from posting for awhile to deal with some crazy issues around here, fighting the school system that's dragging my son down, fighting the doctors who have prescribed him mind altering ADHD meds, and fighting his mother in court over custody.

Some crazy stuff, but very soon, I should have a good victory story to post and then be able to get back to normal life.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share something I thought was a very cool parenting moment. And something that made me damn proud.

Awhile back, I posted about teaching my son about money and I posted his little stock portfolio.

I'm really trying to show him how to work for passive income only and show him how to make money earn more money.

As a rule around here, we don't live off of money that we "earned", we live of of money that our money has earned.

He's been wanting a Nintendo Wii for awhile and I let him know that when his stock portfolio gets to $1000, that will mean that his money has actually worked hard enough for him that it could buy it for him.

Well, last week we went out to dinner and celebrated his new "thousandaire" status when his stocks topped 1K (thanks iPhone!)

We went over his options and I told him that he could sell some of it now and he could get the Wii if he wanted to.

Totally his choice and he decided to hold off and let his stock grow awhile longer! He understands what it means to have that much money and he's decided that he'll get the Wii when he can do it and STILL be a "thousandaire"

Too cool!

It took me nearly 40 years to "get" what he totally understands today.

I think that one of my biggest regrets is that when my Dad gave me "The Richest Man In Babylon" when I was 20, that I put it aside and didn't read it until 15 years later.

Today, my 7 year old has had it read to him a couple of times and probably understands the concepts of that book, and the rules of money better than most adults.

He'll be a millionaire by 20 - I can almost guarentee it.

Jim
Old July 5, 2007, 12:09 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Jim! Great story, great concept too...

Thanks Jim for sharing that...

That's FANTASTIC! Also what a great concept... To live not on what you've earned, but on what your money has earned...

(It's a much clearer way to talk about "passive income"...)

Thanks for sharing... I'm sure many of us can learn from it. It's a lesson not only for kids! (Though those here with kids can use it too... )

By the way, for those who didn't catch Jim's earlier story about teaching "money lessons" to his son - here it is...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6224

And this is a great post too

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5541

Thanks Jim!

Cheers, Dien

P.S. Good luck with the other stuff too...!

Last edited by Dien Rice : July 5, 2007 at 10:12 AM.