SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 28, 2022, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Practical Wisdom.

Wisdom.

I defer and default to dictionary definitions to avoid dispute (the alliteration is (not) Always attempted or attained)...

Wisdom: the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment;

I seek not the wise monk atop the mountain, but the one in the streets with the scars and hard earned wisdom of survival, or surThrival.

Anyone can, crack wise. What is the practical, useful applications of their shared experience?

This might be one advantage I hold at the table...simply due to longevitity and the diversity of work...or as a tribute to my ADHD. Whichever, I try to present practical and useful methods and techniques to use to help others over their personal humps, down times and frustrations.

The SowPub icon your friend drew from what I asked for, shows the farmer planting seeds and the harvest comes after him...just as it is in real life...

And that PictoPhor picture + metaphor, may contain all the Wisdom one needs to go on their way, with a certain knowledge of their actions of today, will produce something over time...what that something is, depends on the seeds sown, eh?

Practical. Useful. Applicable.

Otherwise, Wisdom only serves those who dispense it.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Your posts are a fantastic overview of "making it" in business!

The above part is a "biggie"... since a lot of people do believe in the saying...
"Do what you love, and the money will follow..."
Sounds reasonable?

The thing is, that "thing" you love may not be commercially viable...

I would love to watch movies all day. But it is hard to make money doing it...

(A few become professional movie critics... But it is extremely competitive. Plus, they're not watching movies all day, since they also have to write!)

Fortunately, most of us "love" multiple different things...

I think enjoying what you do is important - because then you're more likely to stick with it enough to see it through to profitability (as long as it is commercially viable)!

Sometimes you enjoy one part, but not another necessary part... when both are needed for the business to succeed...

In that case, you have to figure out how to get done the part(s) that you don't enjoy...

You can partner with someone, who does the parts you don't enjoy... Or outsource it somehow... Or figure out how to manage to enjoy it (sometimes that's doable)!

Great wisdom, Gordon!

Best wishes,

Dien