SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 17, 2022, 03:19 AM

Default Market Research Report Examples & Templates Suggestions?

Hi,
Earlier this year given my data and analytics background Gordon suggested looking into selling niche Market Research reports. Since I can’t get this idea out of my head I started looking around for more info. Didn’t take long to find a number of examples and templates at various web sites.

Any references to or suggestions on what makes for a good report?

Thanks,
Eric
Old September 17, 2022, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Market Research Report Examples & Templates Suggestions?

Gordon has posted quite a few sample reports on here - could be worth a quick search.

For me, short and to the point, written (not video but lots prefer video and it's quicker to create), at least one "secret" (basically little known fact) to help with your copy.

Good luck with your project!
Old September 17, 2022, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Have yet to see a research report, esp data and analytics...

Not saying they MUST have them, but,

Graphs and Charts seem to be the one thing they all have.

When you present information in an easy to grasp, read form, which puts all the data in nice colored slices of a pie or, bars of comparison it is, I believe worth many paragraphs of text.

So, hone up on those things, with Data, it is often, SHOW us, don't just tell us.

Let us know more and when you have some create a signature file which takes us to them, OK?

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC View Post
Hi,
Earlier this year given my data and analytics background Gordon suggested looking into selling niche Market Research reports. Since I can’t get this idea out of my head I started looking around for more info. Didn’t take long to find a number of examples and templates at various web sites.

Any references to or suggestions on what makes for a good report?

Thanks,
Eric
Old September 17, 2022, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Market Research Report Examples & Templates Suggestions?

Case studies are key from what I’ve been reading here. Add a few supporting stats in the mix and boom, a market research report.

Ha! Looks like Gordon has been role modeling market research all along. As well as Glenn and Dien for that matter.

Thanks for the help.
Old September 17, 2022, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Have yet to see a research report, esp data and analytics...

Looks like I was writing while you were posting. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Not saying they MUST have them, but,

Graphs and Charts seem to be the one thing they all have.

When you present information in an easy to grasp, read form, which puts all the data in nice colored slices of a pie or, bars of comparison it is, I believe worth many paragraphs of text.

So, hone up on those things, with Data, it is often, SHOW us, don't just tell us.

Let us know more and when you have some create a signature file which takes us to them, OK?

Gordon
Old September 17, 2022, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Default Here is some insight on selling data reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC View Post
Case studies are key from what I’ve been reading here. Add a few supporting stats in the mix and boom, a market research report.

Ha! Looks like Gordon has been role modeling market research all along. As well as Glenn and Dien for that matter.

Thanks for the help.

In the 70's, 80s and 90s CONSULTANTS made a lot of money (some still do), but the reason for HIRING these guys, was as often as not, so someone in management, who had risen to his Peter Principle place in the company...

needed a fall guy, in case it went south. See? It was the consultant's fault.

Today, data and analytics serve the same purpose. Analytics has infiltrated sports and almost every major league team has an analytics guy.

So, you want to SELL reports? A lot of your success will come from the copy you use.

But lets look at the two main reasons why biz wants all this data, OK>

One, to confirm their decisions.
Two, to guess the future, and if wrong, well it was the data's fault.

Eric, pay attention, I think you could have a gold mine if you set this up the right way.

Today, right now, it is about this HOLIDAY season. Some are saying it will be "muted", while other pundits say, a 13% increase over last year, a meaningless number unless you are selling the data to your boss, see?

All current data includes inventory, supply side, demand, INFLATION, and when working with numbers, as Little Finger in Game of Thrones told Tyrian, they obey what you want them to do, or something like that.

So as you begin to put together your reports, use the SowPub/Gordon backward chaining...start with the end user and what do they want.

When you come to understand that these are "consultants" at the ready to take the fall in case the thing doesn't work out, it is well...

Well they threw on 3rd and five when data says, with those running backs, a screen pass would work 67% of the time...all that non football nonsense they use these days to end up OUT of the playoffs.

Anyhow, data is used to justify the decisions already made or to BLAME future bad decisions on anyone but the guy responsible for analyzing it.

Does this make any sense?

Gordon
Old September 17, 2022, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Here is some insight on selling data reports.

Gordon, Gotta go soon but don't want to lose the thoughts and also make sure I am tracking.

- You are describing what my buddy the former Economics Consultant did to a tee. Get paid to write a report which still sits on a shelf 30 years after the election and the city council wrote the $100k check.

He describes WHY he was hired the same way.
"One, to confirm their decisions."
And now with analytics and data he would completely agree with:
"Two, to guess the future, and if wrong, well it was the data's fault."

- Is the motivation similar to why people are buying Lotto hotsheets? Because I can see how it might be. Oh boy, gonna need to read up on your Lotto posts!

- The quantity of data available, let alone making sense of it, is overwhelming to most people including the customer and their boss. Hire the analytics guy or buy the report. If it works great if not (for whatever reason) client points the finger at the data. Gotta say I saw this psychology in play internally, too. So easy to blame the data.

- Instead of spending 100 hours with a client over some months the report is the consultant fulfilling the same purpose.

- The reports themselves:
Repeatable process and templates for each market.
Start with the clients why and work back to the beginning. Including, where I can intersect with them, get their attention, ......

It should be possible to keep slop and mess factor low. Thus, the reports and not the consulting gig.

Hm, I've got some niches in mind.

Thanks again,
--Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
In the 70's, 80s and 90s CONSULTANTS made a lot of money (some still do), but the reason for HIRING these guys, was as often as not, so someone in management, who had risen to his Peter Principle place in the company...

needed a fall guy, in case it went south. See? It was the consultant's fault.

Today, data and analytics serve the same purpose. Analytics has infiltrated sports and almost every major league team has an analytics guy.

So, you want to SELL reports? A lot of your success will come from the copy you use.

But lets look at the two main reasons why biz wants all this data, OK>

One, to confirm their decisions.
Two, to guess the future, and if wrong, well it was the data's fault.

Eric, pay attention, I think you could have a gold mine if you set this up the right way.

Today, right now, it is about this HOLIDAY season. Some are saying it will be "muted", while other pundits say, a 13% increase over last year, a meaningless number unless you are selling the data to your boss, see?

All current data includes inventory, supply side, demand, INFLATION, and when working with numbers, as Little Finger in Game of Thrones told Tyrian, they obey what you want them to do, or something like that.

So as you begin to put together your reports, use the SowPub/Gordon backward chaining...start with the end user and what do they want.

When you come to understand that these are "consultants" at the ready to take the fall in case the thing doesn't work out, it is well...

Well they threw on 3rd and five when data says, with those running backs, a screen pass would work 67% of the time...all that non football nonsense they use these days to end up OUT of the playoffs.

Anyhow, data is used to justify the decisions already made or to BLAME future bad decisions on anyone but the guy responsible for analyzing it.

Does this make any sense?

Gordon