SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Cornell Cornell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 203
Default you might be interested in this little program...

For those concerned about your movements on the internet being tracked...

I added this free program to all my browsers yesterday afternoon and at this point the program has blocked 819 attempts at tracking my movements using Firefox, and 3 in IE (I seldom use IE anymore and only visited one site using it since installing the program).

If you are interested the link for it is http://www.donottrackplus.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this program in any way, nor am I endorsing it...you can judge if it is beneficial to you.

Hint: To install in more than one browser you need to open each browser and download and install through the open browser.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
sandalwood sandalwood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 459
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
For those concerned about your movements on the internet being tracked...

I added this free program to all my browsers yesterday afternoon and at this point the program has blocked 819 attempts at tracking my movements using Firefox, and 3 in IE (I seldom use IE anymore and only visited one site using it since installing the program).

If you are interested the link for it is http://www.donottrackplus.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this program in any way, nor am I endorsing it...you can judge if it is beneficial to you.

Hint: To install in more than one browser you need to open each browser and download and install through the open browser.

Cornell,

Thanks for the info. I installed it and was shown it blocked 16 trackers. It did let 2 ad networks stay tracking me. I tried learning why it did that by clicking in the box that comes up when you click on their icon but it wasn't very helpful.

I'll run it for a few days and see what it serves up. Looks good at this point but we'll see what we'll see after it runs for a few more days.

Tom
__________________
If caregiving was a sport it would be an Extreme sport. A site for caregivers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 12, 2012, 12:22 AM
RgrPett RgrPett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 25
Default This is how Facebook is tracking your internet activity

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-...ty-2012-9?op=1

Roger P
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 12, 2012, 04:11 AM
Cornell Cornell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 203
Default the reason I installed it...

What inspired me to install this is that I found out that I was being tracked by facebook...and I don't even have an account there.

Just going to a page that displays their "F" icon starts the tracking process of the visitor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 12, 2012, 04:12 AM
Cornell Cornell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 203
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Go to the web site for answers...if you can't find what you need click the support link and use the live chat....I did and the response was under a minute, and all my questions were answered in under 6 minutes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Cornell,

Thanks for the info. I installed it and was shown it blocked 16 trackers. It did let 2 ad networks stay tracking me. I tried learning why it did that by clicking in the box that comes up when you click on their icon but it wasn't very helpful.

I'll run it for a few days and see what it serves up. Looks good at this point but we'll see what we'll see after it runs for a few more days.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Paul Wilson Paul Wilson is offline
Paul
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South East of England
Posts: 27
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Thanks for the link.

As a test I downloaded it into Chrome and within 90 minutes 53 attempts to track my movements were blocked.

Paul.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
RgrPett RgrPett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 25
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

After using Do Not Track+ for nearly 3 hours with Firefox, it has blocked 351 trackers. I just went onto Facebook's home page (I do not have a Facebook account) and Do Not Track instantly blocked 44 more trackers.

Thanks Cornell for tipping us off to this program.

Roger P
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
sandalwood sandalwood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 459
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

I just clicked on the installed program (while in this thread) to see how many sites it has blocked so I could report the number and up came an interesting message. It gave me the choice to block sowpub from tracking me or not block sowpub from tracking me.

Why would sowpub track me? I don't know and don't care since I voluntarily joined this forum and really like it. But, the program nonetheless gave me the option so now I am curious.

What was it really telling me?

Cornell, would you have any idea?

Anyone else using it, have any ideas?

Thank you,

Tom
__________________
If caregiving was a sport it would be an Extreme sport. A site for caregivers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,708
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
I just clicked on the installed program (while in this thread) to see how many sites it has blocked so I could report the number and up came an interesting message. It gave me the choice to block sowpub from tracking me or not block sowpub from tracking me.

Why would sowpub track me? I don't know and don't care since I voluntarily joined this forum and really like it. But, the program nonetheless gave me the option so now I am curious.

What was it really telling me?

Cornell, would you have any idea?

Anyone else using it, have any ideas?
Hi Tom,

It most likely is related to the vBulletin software we use for the forum.

Might have to do with "cookies" (so that the forum "remembers" who you are, so you can be "automatically" logged in when you visit)?

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment...

The only "fancy schmancy" software I use on Sowpub is the forum software, so I don't think it could be anything else...!

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 13, 2012, 12:06 PM
sandalwood sandalwood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 459
Default Re: you might be interested in this little program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Tom,

It most likely is related to the vBulletin software we use for the forum.

Might have to do with "cookies" (so that the forum "remembers" who you are, so you can be "automatically" logged in when you visit)?

That's the only thing I can think of at the moment...

The only "fancy schmancy" software I use on Sowpub is the forum software, so I don't think it could be anything else...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

That's what I thought but couldn't articulate it given my no tech knowledge base. The program is probably geared to id what you explained. I didn't try it while I was on the WF but will to see what it says about them.

At least we are learning something. All it takes is one dumb bunny (me) to start walking out into the water and we all learn how deep it is

Tom
__________________
If caregiving was a sport it would be an Extreme sport. A site for caregivers.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | The Art of Leverage | The Success Report | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine) | The Fly Low Collect Dough Update Hotline

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.