SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 15, 2020, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default We're just getting started folks, keep you journals ablaze.

I started a NEW journal, just for this National Emergency, which began officially on Friday, Mar. 13, 2020.

Tomorrow is the first work/school day and this may be one of the most interesting weeks of your life.

Millions of school kids at home. Parents changing schedules, public events and places shutting down. The shelves of all the stores are under attack.

In addition to my private thoughts journal, I'll post here a couple of times a week, and I encourage you to post too. Help us get a handle on a bigger picture, we have members all over the world, so it would be helpful to all of us to get first hand reports of what is really happening "out there".

One of my first pieces of advice is: MAKE MORE MONEY.

It isn't that hard. If you chattel (buy and sell things) keep an eye out for bread making machines, those old home brew kits and wine making kits at garage sales (if you go out) but keep a daily view of your local Facebook Marketplace too.

People will be doing things at home. If the shelves are empty of bread, there will be people making their own. Many parents have altered their schedules to adjust to having their little angels home all day and not in school.

Meal prep, so a continuation of SLOW COOKERS and that sort of thing will continue in high demand.

Small guilty pleasures will soar as will alcohol and tobacco use. Snacks and beverages always do well too.

How will you be altering your schedule or daily activities, if you will be? What is going to be different for you? Right now it is just a guess.

But the next 10 days will be very revealing, on both a national and personal level.

And from now until April 1, may set the course for the next several months, if not years. So join in here, share what is happening for real.

BUT, no cures, conspiracy or medical advice please. The forum will be best served with participation and sharing of what is working, or not working out in your neck of the woods.

Some quick observations:

BARTER always does well. CASH becomes king. Bargains are to be had, money is to be made, but planning and living within the extremes of the Hoaxers and the Doomsdayers (who have something to sell you)...there is a middle ground of common sense, common decency and humanity rising to the occasion to meet the challenge.

Busiest restaurant in town, was still packed Fri and Sat. nites, this a Hibachi Japan where you share a meal with a bunch of strangers.

But today, the CHURCH, have never seen this in decades, both the 10 AM and 12 AM masses were scarcely attended. Don't know if they were told to stay home, but it feels really odd, this thing feels different to me, somehow.

Anyways, what is going on in your neck of the woods? Anyone?

GordonJ
Old March 15, 2020, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default Maybe time for the reemergence of the Midnight Baker.

We'll see. The initial fear/panic run on stores wiped out Toilet Paper and many cleaning supplies, as well as RAMEN (see, I told you so).

Also reports of BREAD going, especially in rural stores where they normally only deliver a couple of times a week, not daily like in big cities.

I mentioned bread machines above, and barter. There was a time, when I was the midnight baker on the town beneath the sea, and everyone was sleeping cept the midwatch and me...

40 loaves left to cool.

I used to bake up to 40 loafs of bread a night. And that in the relatively tiny ovens of a submarine.

Consider pizza shops, which I think are going to thrive, with delivery...who have big ovens and could easily bake dozens of loafs of bread an hour overnight when not making pizza.

With millions of school kids staying home, the old baloney, peanut butter and jelly and other sandwiches will be a daily staple. And snacks, potato chips and doritos will soar in sales, if they don't run out of stock.

I think the pizza shop owner who gets creative and offers delivery, will find all kinds of new business, and avails himself to the opportunity.

Maybe I can trade a loaf a bread
for a jug of wine,
and thou,
can eat left over pizza crusts...

The whole meals on wheels concept may be about to boom!

GordonJ
Old March 16, 2020, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Maybe time for the reemergence of the Midnight Baker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
We'll see. The initial fear/panic run on stores wiped out Toilet Paper and many cleaning supplies, as well as RAMEN (see, I told you so).

Also reports of BREAD going, especially in rural stores where they normally only deliver a couple of times a week, not daily like in big cities.

I mentioned bread machines above, and barter. There was a time, when I was the midnight baker on the town beneath the sea, and everyone was sleeping cept the midwatch and me...

40 loaves left to cool.

I used to bake up to 40 loafs of bread a night. And that in the relatively tiny ovens of a submarine.

Consider pizza shops, which I think are going to thrive, with delivery...who have big ovens and could easily bake dozens of loafs of bread an hour overnight when not making pizza.

With millions of school kids staying home, the old baloney, peanut butter and jelly and other sandwiches will be a daily staple. And snacks, potato chips and doritos will soar in sales, if they don't run out of stock.

I think the pizza shop owner who gets creative and offers delivery, will find all kinds of new business, and avails himself to the opportunity.

Maybe I can trade a loaf a bread
for a jug of wine,
and thou,
can eat left over pizza crusts...

The whole meals on wheels concept may be about to boom!

GordonJ

Something on the line of Papa Murphy's where they make your pizza, but you bake it would work.

Here in my neck of the woods, Walmart got slammed with almost all the soup gone... but PLENTY of bread ! Went out early at 6 AM and there were a few folks doing the same. However, NOBODY was buying flour or yeast... one person had sugar but most folks were buying produce.

Even with all the panic buying, Walmart still had plenty of food.
Old March 16, 2020, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Millard, you are now a "war correspondent" of the WW Covid19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Something on the line of Papa Murphy's where they make your pizza, but you bake it would work.

Here in my neck of the woods, Walmart got slammed with almost all the soup gone... but PLENTY of bread ! Went out early at 6 AM and there were a few folks doing the same. However, NOBODY was buying flour or yeast... one person had sugar but most folks were buying produce.

Even with all the panic buying, Walmart still had plenty of food.

Thanks Millard.

The worry isn't so much now, but how the supply chain is going to react. Once things quit getting put into the pipelines, so to speak, we'll start to see the results.

This is work/school DAY 1.

And it is off to a rocky start, already, the market took a breather...and the FED cut the prime to almost zero, and a new stimulus plan, not sure if that includes cash as it did in the Obama one, not sure if anyone really knows, we have to wait and see what congress does.

Flour and sugar are commodities which could lead to abrupt price changes, and some gov't control. Wheat exchanges and fair trade have to exist, or else Uncle Sam could under emergency conditions take control of the commodities which are deemed essential as food for freedom.

We certainly hope that the food supply chain remains robust and there is enough stock in the systems to get us through. But it is an EMOTIONAL time, and many buying decisions are made irrationally.

Let's use BREAD/FLOUR as one of SowPub indicators as to how the world is faring.

What is the Bread situation in your area?

And what other things do we want to keep an eye on? Here in Cuyahoga Falls, they've added workers at GOJO mfg plant, they make PURELL hand sanitizer, I have friends who work there...and one other thing to watch is VINEGAR, both white and cider types. I'll discuss this a little further down the road.

OK. Correspondents get ready to let us know what is happening in your area.

GordonJ
Old March 17, 2020, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Thanks Millard, you are now a "war correspondent" of the WW Covid19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Thanks Millard.

The worry isn't so much now, but how the supply chain is going to react. Once things quit getting put into the pipelines, so to speak, we'll start to see the results.

This is work/school DAY 1.

And it is off to a rocky start, already, the market took a breather...and the FED cut the prime to almost zero, and a new stimulus plan, not sure if that includes cash as it did in the Obama one, not sure if anyone really knows, we have to wait and see what congress does.

Flour and sugar are commodities which could lead to abrupt price changes, and some gov't control. Wheat exchanges and fair trade have to exist, or else Uncle Sam could under emergency conditions take control of the commodities which are deemed essential as food for freedom.

We certainly hope that the food supply chain remains robust and there is enough stock in the systems to get us through. But it is an EMOTIONAL time, and many buying decisions are made irrationally.

Let's use BREAD/FLOUR as one of SowPub indicators as to how the world is faring.

What is the Bread situation in your area?

And what other things do we want to keep an eye on? Here in Cuyahoga Falls, they've added workers at GOJO mfg plant, they make PURELL hand sanitizer, I have friends who work there...and one other thing to watch is VINEGAR, both white and cider types. I'll discuss this a little further down the road.

OK. Correspondents get ready to let us know what is happening in your area.

GordonJ

Wife went to the local Walmart for St. Paddy dinner goods.

Here's the report:

No rye bread.... no sauerkraut... plenty of corned beef... lots of regular bread...

Store was packed at 7 AM....

When I was there yesterday, I noticed that they had boatloads of Ramen noodles for about 10 cents a pack... You can do a lot with those little noodles !

Fortunately, I was raised by my grandparents and learned how to cook with the basics and have always had a pantry with standard items to create stews, baked goods, and other things like biscuits and gravy. (Yum)

In any case, reporting from the front lines.
Old March 17, 2020, 02:13 PM

Default Magician Bakes MUFFINS On Stage & Kids Torture MOM

Thanks Gordon,

When I Consult with Speakers, Magicians and Trade Show Attendees
I like to use SMELL to Surprise The Audience.

And as BRIBES.

Like the Magician Client who Does ANTI-BULLYING Magic Shows at Schools.

The Entire Auditorium Smells Like RAISIN MUFFINS.
Cuz His Girl Friend Starts Baking My MEGA-MUFFINS (BEHIND THE CURTAIN) Before The Show Starts.

And kids LINE UP
To Get Strapped Down to a Furniture HandTruck
On-Stage in Return for a Home Made - Warm MUFFIN.

CORRECTION - The Kids Volunteer Their MOMS to Get Strapped To The Furniture Hand Truck - THEN the Kids Get a F-r-e-e Muffin.

(EDITORS NOTE - The Benefits of TESTING. Kids love to Perform Magic-Surgery On MOM.)

Bet You Cannot GUESS which
IS The #1 Favorite Muffin Recipe
that Creates LONGEST LINES.

https://archive.enchantednlp.com/products.php?id=77

Yesterday -
I just bought a 25 lb Bag Of Spelt Flour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

60 days Ago
I got a new 50.00 BREAD MACHINE.

30 days ago
I Got a Cast Iron WOK. (Man oh man - that Sucker is Huge)

So.

I Could Adapt some WOK Recipes
from The Internet.

On my new ROCKET STOVE...
Cuz our Power Keeps getting knocked out. So I can now cook with Leaves
and Tree Twigs.

AND
I
INTEND
TO
Write and Sell Some CookBooks with a WEIRD "Marketing Hook."

My "HOOK" Idea
for a new kind of Recipe book?

A Recipe book That Uses
Farm Tools and Implements
During the Food Prep Process.

(Ever SMASHED an Onion with a Sledge Hammer - It's a HOOT.)

Sounds Easy but It takes Some Practice. The slices of onions
want to SCOOT Away - and Jump onto the floor when You Hit
them with the Sledge Hammer head.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old March 18, 2020, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Hope all school performers have a back up plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Gordon,

When I Consult with Speakers, Magicians and Trade Show Attendees
I like to use SMELL to Surprise The Audience.

And as BRIBES.

Like the Magician Client who Does ANTI-BULLYING Magic Shows at Schools.

The Entire Auditorium Smells Like RAISIN MUFFINS.
Cuz His Girl Friend Starts Baking My MEGA-MUFFINS (BEHIND THE CURTAIN) Before The Show Starts.

And kids LINE UP
To Get Strapped Down to a Furniture HandTruck
On-Stage in Return for a Home Made - Warm MUFFIN.

CORRECTION - The Kids Volunteer Their MOMS to Get Strapped To The Furniture Hand Truck - THEN the Kids Get a F-r-e-e Muffin.

(EDITORS NOTE - The Benefits of TESTING. Kids love to Perform Magic-Surgery On MOM.)

Bet You Cannot GUESS which
IS The #1 Favorite Muffin Recipe
that Creates LONGEST LINES.

https://archive.enchantednlp.com/products.php?id=77

Yesterday -
I just bought a 25 lb Bag Of Spelt Flour.

60 days Ago
I got a new 50.00 BREAD MACHINE.

30 days ago
I Got a Cast Iron WOK. (Man oh man - that Sucker is Huge)

So.

I Could Adapt some WOK Recipes
from The Internet.

On my new ROCKET STOVE...
Cuz our Power Keeps getting knocked out. So I can now cook with Leaves
and Tree Twigs.

AND
I
INTEND
TO
Write and Sell Some CookBooks with a WEIRD "Marketing Hook."

My "HOOK" Idea
for a new kind of Recipe book?

A Recipe book That Uses
Farm Tools and Implements
During the Food Prep Process.

(Ever SMASHED an Onion with a Sledge Hammer - It's a HOOT.)

Sounds Easy but It takes Some Practice. The slices of onions
want to SCOOT Away - and Jump onto the floor when You Hit
them with the Sledge Hammer head.

Thanks,
Glenn

Always interesting Glenn. The ancient cast iron Wok may be the most useful and most used appliance of all times. Works great over camp fires, or backyard fire pits.

We don't know if school is over for the year, maybe, probably. Into the fall and next year? Maybe. Teachers I know are worried, and anyone who services the schools too.

In a matter of days we've seen a major pivot from HOAX to POTUS wanting to give us money NOW, and who couldn't use a 1k bux?

Also, a Wok can be used to make FLAT breads, and a little flour, water and whatever you got on hand it can be the mixing bowl and oven...a wonderful thing to have.

Of course the breadmaker will depend on if one has electricity. And thanks for kicking my butt again with a reminder of COOK BOOKS. Between the restuarants, caterers, soup kitchens, Navy and AMTRAK, I've got thousands of recipes ...

everything from BEAN pan fried cookies (and bean ice cream), 2 minute microwave mug muffins...

Seem to have a lot in my wheelhouse, but will I swing or get hit by the pitch?

Gordon

to serving large numbers of people CHEAPLY.
Old March 18, 2020, 01:22 PM

Default You Are a Baking GOD Gordon - Never Thunk of Cooking Bread in my WOK

Also, a Wok can be used to make FLAT breads, and a little flour, water and whatever you got on hand it can be the mixing bowl and oven...a wonderful thing to have.

===========
Thanks Gordon,

I have been puzzling over ways to bake bread without electricity.

Off the Grid BEARDED HERMITS
seem to all use a Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Which requires TONGS to put burning embers on TOP of the Pan Lid.

But a Cast Iron WOK
Might Work too.

Just Cover a small yeast bread loaf with a metal Pan Lid.

Flip the Bread so the bottom does not burn.

Gotta TRY that on my new 99.00 ROCKET STOVE.

https://glennosborn.com/images/stovecookswtwigs.jpg

So far
FIRST TEST EVER -
I was able to Lightly Burn 4 Frozen Hot Dogs on the Rocket Stove.

Have not got the timing down
to feed in Twigs and flip the Dogs. Gotta Practice.

But Still Edible!

Thanks,
Glenn
Old March 18, 2020, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Default Rocket stove cookbook. Best thing, try WATER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

===========
Thanks Gordon,

I have been puzzling over ways to bake bread without electricity.

Off the Grid BEARDED HERMITS
seem to all use a Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Which requires TONGS to put burning embers on TOP of the Pan Lid.

But a Cast Iron WOK
Might Work too.

Just Cover a small yeast bread loaf with a metal Pan Lid.

Flip the Bread so the bottom does not burn.

Gotta TRY that on my new 99.00 ROCKET STOVE.

https://glennosborn.com/images/stovecookswtwigs.jpg

So far
FIRST TEST EVER -
I was able to Lightly Burn 4 Frozen Hot Dogs on the Rocket Stove.

Have not got the timing down
to feed in Twigs and flip the Dogs. Gotta Practice.

But Still Edible!

Thanks,
Glenn

Your Rocket stove will be able to heat a cup or two of water, very quickly. So, if you have parboiled rice, or other somewhat cooked items, you can cook them very swiftly. Hot dogs of any variety, do better after they've been soaked a while in hot water...this allows you to cook other things and then just "finish them off" like a stick and turning quickly.

Flat breads like Matzah and even Pitas (unleavend) can be baked in a warm Wok, try haning yours about foot above your rocket stove, and a GLASS lid, like from pyrex, will hold the heat in and only needs flipping one time.

I'm excited for your new discoveries. Try baking a muffin in a can in your Rocket, that would be a good deal.

Rocket Man Glenn's Pocket Cookbook for the Less than Eagle Scout Crowd.

Good luck, have fun with it.

Gordon

PS. I always set water on first thing, indoors, out, camping or in a commercial kitchen. You will find having hot water on hand comes in handy for a lot of things, be it a cup or two or a big pot.
Old March 19, 2020, 12:11 PM

Default I Like Your "Muffin In A Can" Idea - Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

If I cut a Soup Can in Half.

Put a Yeast Roll or muffin inside.

ALREADY Risen.

I Could Put the Can in My Cast Iron WOK. (Lid on)

Cook one side.

Then When the Muffin is part cooked.

Flip The can over.

Cook The Top (Lid on)

I will let you know how this works out as soon as we get a sunny day.

Thanks,
Glenn

I just bought new hack saw blades so I am good to go!