SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 2, 2006, 04:17 PM
Bruce

Default Thats A Rotten Deal

[I reminded her that she had SIGNED AN AGREEMENT whereby she agreed to let ME provide Tv Channel Stands for her rooms. She said she "didn't care"...her "sister" was going to do this.)"

Boy Don, thats a rotten deal. YOU basically GAVE her the idea, and then she goes off and does it herself...and I'll bet her sister doesn;t sell many anyways.

Shows how in so many situations, people will ignore contracts they've signed when they see $$$$ signs...

Bruce
Old November 2, 2006, 04:45 PM
Jason

Default Re: Can I get some advice...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
he thinks it's a wonderful idea & told me he would be willing to pay $125 for 2500. (That's good) & his input is that he wouldn't want to be in the bag w/more than 8 other advertisers. I can see his point & kind of agree to it, although that WILL cap my income from this particular project at around $1,000. It may make it an easier sell, though & make more loyal advertisers, in turn, though.

NOW, though, I just have to "face" my other advertisers & tell them that it is just NOT working out to do 5,000 a month...any suggestions on "how" to break it to them?

Thanks,
Bea

Well first of all you certainly shouldn't let a prospective advertiser tell you how to run your business.
If your original thinking was to generate $3k in ad revenue, and he will participate only if he is one of 8 adverts........
This contract will end up costing you $2k per month and is not be worth including in the program.

A better way may be to overcome his objection and get him in a bag with 25 other adverts for the same money he offered to pay to be included in the original

Learning to overcome objections is the key to making any sales.

If he states " I only want to be in the bag with 8 other adverts"
Don't agree, make him answer! Ask "Why"
If he says " I don't want to be lost in the shuffel"
If you are in a position to offer an exclusive say something like
" I don't normaly do this but, What If you are the only X type of business in the bag, will that work better for you?"

Don't risk ruining your businesses profitability on a 1 time payment of $120.

No one knows better than you what your situation is, so if you can only get 2500 out per month, that is all you can do.

I would try to fulfill this months agreement and then approach them next month with your new #'s

Honesty wil not hurt you, especially in the long run.
If you plan on running any type of business in that community for very long,
Honesty and truth about your situation will speak loud and clear about YOU!

If nothing else Bea, you are doing more than most people that visit these boards looking for advice, You have really gone out and tried something!

One last bit of free advice.......
Now that you have gone through one full cycle with this venture, sit down and rework the numbers until they work. If the numbers don't end up working dump the project and move on to your next venture!

Best of luck and Congrats on DOING SOMETHING,
Jason
Old November 2, 2006, 05:02 PM
Jason

Next time,
If I were armed with a signed agreement and had already signed the ads,
it would be far less costly and troublesome to get the agreement enforced legaly by a small claims court.
Would take about 1 hour to do and cost $85, (in my area)

Don states that he gets $20 per room profit from this program, so any more than a 10 room hotel I would most certainly get the judgement in small claims court at a cost of 1 hour of time and a $85 filing fee.

You should consider this next time a person doesn't stick to their signed word.
Will save you face with current advertisers and you will get paid for the service that you provided.
Best of luck,
Jason
Old November 2, 2006, 06:25 PM
bobmcalister

Default Re:gotsome advice fer ya...maybe

I did something similar to this with the flyers at the pizza guys...and it worked out ok...

the flyers went out with the pizzas...so , you would go to a pizza place in the affluent area....

sell more ads....particularily for stores OUTside the affluent area...print up the flyer with all those ads...
split the profits with the pizza place....

not a gold mine...but I would (will )do it again....

another option I am working is to have a 'goodie' bag for all these conventions and bronco riding events we have here each year...
tried doing something like that at the fair and was told I had to bid on it ...for next year...

at any rate, there are a bunch of cars in line..waiting to gain entrance into these things, so I was thinking ...why not just get a couple of gurls to handout the bags before these people go inside...

so ....I checked with the city ...didnt want the gurls being arrested for blocking traffic !....and yep....gotta have a license ...and stay on the side of the road....so ....that is not good...

I am thinking....tie your flyer in with something for the kids ....then go to the local schools...give em to the kids ...who take it home...

just have to figger out HOW to get the kids to take the flyer home...have to have a reason for them to do that ...

oh well..just some thoughts of mine....

thanks
bob
Old November 2, 2006, 07:45 PM
Don Alm

Default Yeah right....

Apparently you haven't done much of "this" kind of business.

1) Filing a suit against a local business person ain't gonna do much fer yer "image"

and...

2) I got better things to do than fill in forms at the Courthouse and go thru the process.

YOU file the forms...pay the fee...attend the hearing...and let other biz people in town know YOU are suing another biz person. She happens to be a GM of a local motel. If word were to get around that I filed a suit against a fellow motel manager...the other GMs would avoid doing business with ME.

Thanks for the "advice"....but I will ignore this and ferget about it.

Don Alm
Old November 2, 2006, 08:47 PM
Bea

Default Thanks, everyone!

I really appreciate all the care you all have taken to answer & send some good 'ol fashioned advice my way!

(Family breakup forces me to be mom & pop right now, so but I may go back to his city or may not...unknown at this time. Time will tell... ) Right now it's just really important that I meet the bills, which happy to say I AM at least doing! \0/

Thanks for everything - your advice means alot!
Old November 2, 2006, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Yeah right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Apparently you haven't done much of "this" kind of business.

1) Filing a suit against a local business person ain't gonna do much fer yer "image"

and...

2) I got better things to do than fill in forms at the Courthouse and go thru the process.

YOU file the forms...pay the fee...attend the hearing...and let other biz people in town know YOU are suing another biz person. She happens to be a GM of a local motel. If word were to get around that I filed a suit against a fellow motel manager...the other GMs would avoid doing business with ME.

Thanks for the "advice"....but I will ignore this and ferget about it.

Don Alm

***Apparently you haven't done much of "this" kind of business.***

Nope, in my area, the premium tv providers give them a real nice looking one every month.
For the smaller hotel/motels the pizza joints provide them with their exclusive ad (similar to the Pizza Hut one that you show on your site)
They don't go through a middle man such as yourself.

If the concept works in your area, great, and more power to you!

***Filing a suit against a local business person ain't gonna do much fer yer "image"***
I don't know about that, businesses sue other businesses every day and they continue to business with one another. I have worked for 3 diff law firms in my area ( at diff times) providing info on businesses that other business want to file a claim against.
If anything, I would think that it would have made this woman understand your are in business to make $ and are not going to play games.

I got better things to do than fill in forms at the Courthouse and go thru the process.***
That is your choice and as a business owner you can do what ever you wish.
I was simply providing you an alternative so you didn't have to go back to you clients and tell them that someone bowed out of the deal.

You stated that she was a GM which means she most likely has a boss above her that certainly wouldn't want to hear the GM signed a deal and pulled out later.

You most likely wouldn't even have to file papers or goto a hearing.
Simply by aggressively showing your cards, you could have had her honor her contract without doing anything except mentioning the possible outcome in which she could lose her job.

***YOU file the forms...pay the fee...attend the hearing...and let other biz people in town know YOU are suing another biz person. She happens to be a GM of a local motel. If word were to get around that I filed a suit against a fellow motel manager...the other GMs would avoid doing business with ME.***

I would file the papers instead of going back to 5 paid clients and telling them that the deal may not work because I didn't hold my end of the bargain.
People in business sue other buinesses al the time, its part of the "game"

Like I said above, if you show your cards knowing she is only a GM, she may re-think her decision.
I would rather do no business than back down from a GM for fear word would get out that I tried to enforce a signed contract.

You can FERGET what ever you want, however this is sound business advice, plain and simple!.
Again,
Best of luck,
Jason
Old November 3, 2006, 10:35 AM
gar227

Default Question for ya, Bea

How are you contacting the potential advertisers (businesses)?

It's interesting to me that this thread came up now as I was thinking about this idea for myself. Secondly, I think your price is to low. $200 is fair and I'm wondering if $197 would be a magical price to test. 20 flyers in the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
I really appreciate all the care you all have taken to answer & send some good 'ol fashioned advice my way!

(Family breakup forces me to be mom & pop right now, so but I may go back to his city or may not...unknown at this time. Time will tell... ) Right now it's just really important that I meet the bills, which happy to say I AM at least doing! \0/

Thanks for everything - your advice means alot!
Old November 3, 2006, 11:14 AM
Bea

Hi,
I just pick up the phone & call them...it weeds out people who aren't interested very quickly & saves the leg work of walking.

I'd like to hear how it goes if you do decide to try the $197. I would not mention how many (20) would be in your bag unless they press you about it, they are very picky about that part of it.

Please do let me know.
B