SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 25, 2022, 07:55 AM

Default Giving Away Thanks

While I was reading an old Dan Kennedy No BS newsletter, Dan made a point about remembering to give thanks to people.

This isn't about just saying thank you when someone opens a door for you or gives you extra servings at a restaurant.

Dan explained that people crave acknowledgement. If you have a customer that buys from you regularly, giving them a nifty gift a few times a year will make them feel special and will also lead to more sales ! Of course, you attach a note saying how much you appreciate their business or something just thanking them for being a good customer.

I would also make sure that the gift was NOT something with your logo or sales message or anything that made it look like a promo item.

What I like about this concept is that you can give away gifts to friends, co-workers, relatives, or ANYONE just to let them know you care about them and what they mean to you !

What this sets up is a lifestyle of thankfulness... and more happiness !
Old October 25, 2022, 03:24 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks! Is this graphic over the top? :)

Thanks Millard!

That's a great reminder... I really should say "thank you" more often!

I noticed that Ankesh Kothari and Glenn Osborn - both great marketers - are always saying "thank you" in their email newsletters... and I appreciate it...

I like the idea of thank you gifts... I must do that more often...

I have two nephews... now aged 11 and 12. We sometimes play Minecraft together over the internet (they live in a different city from me)... And we communicate with each other using something called "Discord"...

I noticed that they love sending animated GIF images to pepper their conversations...

A little like this!

...which came from here, a website devoted to all kinds of thank you notes and graphics!

https://allfreethankyounotes.com

https://allfreethankyounotes.com/thank-you-gifs/

Awesome post, Millard!

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
While I was reading an old Dan Kennedy No BS newsletter, Dan made a point about remembering to give thanks to people.

This isn't about just saying thank you when someone opens a door for you or gives you extra servings at a restaurant.

Dan explained that people crave acknowledgement. If you have a customer that buys from you regularly, giving them a nifty gift a few times a year will make them feel special and will also lead to more sales ! Of course, you attach a note saying how much you appreciate their business or something just thanking them for being a good customer.

I would also make sure that the gift was NOT something with your logo or sales message or anything that made it look like a promo item.

What I like about this concept is that you can give away gifts to friends, co-workers, relatives, or ANYONE just to let them know you care about them and what they mean to you !

What this sets up is a lifestyle of thankfulness... and more happiness !
Old October 26, 2022, 08:45 AM

Default What Got Me Started

Years ago, I went to a speech from famed National Cash Register salesman, Ira Hayes. (I still have his book)

Ira talked about creating a book of thank you photos of customers who bought his product. When Ira made a sale, he took a photo of his customer. He got all the photos printed and he placed them in a scrapbook.

Once Ira got to a new prospect, he opened the book to show his prospect all the photos of past customers ! It wasn't hard to sell to those customers.

As a result of this speech, I went to a printer and had them make up special thank you cards with my picture and a great big THANK YOU on the front of a nice coated-stock card with plenty of space on the inside for me to write a message. I got a LOT of mileage from those cards!

Can you imagine the impact of using a thank you card with a personal message along with a lotto ticket inside ?

Something worth testing, I would think.
Old October 27, 2022, 07:50 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Jump on board!

Hi Millard,

Thanks for sharing a great story!

When he could show people pages and pages of happy customers... Well, people love to jump on a bandwagon...

And when they see there is a successful "bandwagon" there, they want to get on board too!

I think that's one dimension of what's going on... They want some of whatever it is those other people got!

I always found it interesting that... You could have two restaurants next to each other, which seem identical...

One restaurant could have a huge line out of the front, with people waiting and waiting to get in...

And the other restaurant next door - as empty as a politician's promises...

(I'm too impatient... so I never join any long queue if I can somehow avoid it!)

Some great psychology we can all learn from, thanks Millard!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Years ago, I went to a speech from famed National Cash Register salesman, Ira Hayes. (I still have his book)

Ira talked about creating a book of thank you photos of customers who bought his product. When Ira made a sale, he took a photo of his customer. He got all the photos printed and he placed them in a scrapbook.

Once Ira got to a new prospect, he opened the book to show his prospect all the photos of past customers ! It wasn't hard to sell to those customers.

As a result of this speech, I went to a printer and had them make up special thank you cards with my picture and a great big THANK YOU on the front of a nice coated-stock card with plenty of space on the inside for me to write a message. I got a LOT of mileage from those cards!

Can you imagine the impact of using a thank you card with a personal message along with a lotto ticket inside ?

Something worth testing, I would think.
Old October 31, 2022, 11:06 PM

Default Millionaire Insurance Sales Manager Used Thank You Notes to Make 400 Million Bucks

Thanks Dien,

I met a Genius Insurance Manager.

None of his guys or gals could get thru to the Decision maker.

So he sent A series of THANK YOU NOTES.

Which all by themselves got all of his telemarketers to the Biz owner.

Thanks,
Glenn

Doubling Insurance sales in 3 New England States in one year
and adding 400 million in Sales is Why I begin everything I write with a THANK YOU.
Old November 7, 2022, 12:18 PM

Default You Can FAKE *Popular* Until You Become Successful

One restaurant could have a huge line out of the front, with people waiting and waiting to get in...

Thanks Dien,

Dan Kennedy Taught me how to RENT cars from a Car Dealer
to make a Restaurant Client Look Popular - To People Driving By - from the Road.

ADAPTED.

When I First Started in Marketing I had no office. So I met Prospects in Fancy Restaurants.

How Did I "FAKE" Success?

I Arrived Early.

A - Pre-Paid for my meal and my Guests

B - Lotto Tipped all the Waiters and Waitresses

C - Lotto tipped the Cooks

D - Handed people at nearby Tables a Stake of 10 One Dollar Bills & Lotto Tickets. And Asked Them to TIP The Waitress EVERY TIME I Tipped Mine.

RESULT?

I Turned A Biz Appointment into a PARTY.
Unconsciously PEOPLE WANT to Work with You If Being Near You is FUN.

And Even Though This was my 1st time at this Swanky Restaurant. Since EVERYBODY knew my name - The Client ASSUMED I dined here Frequently.

I Got this idea
From a 400 Million
Dollar Mentor.

He Has a Standing Bet that In Any Restaurant Group
Seated at the same table - HE GETS THE BILL. Because he is wearing a BESPOKE 5K Suit. And Talks LOUDLY. And Acts Arrogantly.

WHENEVER I meet with people like him - I Arrive Early.
And Short-Circuit what they Expect to Happen. REALLY throws them or a Loop! And you get to TALK 1 on 1 with Any Speaker or GURU you want. (Because they are Curious How You Bolixed up their Gamesmanship.)

(Bespoke is a wacky Word. Had to look it up a while back Just to TALK to a Lady who Sells Bespoke Suits.)

Thanks,
Glenn
Old November 8, 2022, 09:05 AM

Default Faking Being Popular

Glenn,

I may have asked before:

Have you ever tested different priced Lotto scratch off tickets?

Ha ! With what I have seen with your success, you don't need to, I would think.
Old November 8, 2022, 04:28 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Glenn - I really appreciate it!

Thanks Glenn,

That is an AWESOME story...

I really must adapt this wonderful practice...

Thanks - I really appreciate it!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Dien,

I met a Genius Insurance Manager.

None of his guys or gals could get thru to the Decision maker.

So he sent A series of THANK YOU NOTES.

Which all by themselves got all of his telemarketers to the Biz owner.

Thanks,
Glenn

Doubling Insurance sales in 3 New England States in one year
and adding 400 million in Sales is Why I begin everything I write with a THANK YOU.
Old November 8, 2022, 04:46 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Glenn... Another brain "pop" !

Thanks Glenn,

Another INGENIOUS idea!

(Again - if you're not on Glenn's email list - I encourage you to join... His is one of the few where I do my best to read everything he sends... https://enchantednlp.com )

On this part...

"I Turned A Biz Appointment into a PARTY.
Unconsciously PEOPLE WANT to Work with You If Being Near You is FUN."

This reminds me of the days when I used to "date"... (I'm married now, so haven't "dated" for a while...)

As a young guy, you quickly learn that "desperation" doesn't work!

Neither does begging!

(No wonder these "incels" have so many problems... They "reek" of desperation!)

What does work is being "fun" to be around...

When a girl or woman finds you "fun"... She wants to see more of you...

(And it works from the girl's point of view, too!)

So... I think it's the same principle!

Though I hadn't thought of it that way...

Thanks Glenn... Another brain "explosion" you've gifted to us all...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. My wife says that out of all the weird people who were attracted to her... I was the "least weird"... I guess that's a compliment... Uhh... Sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Thanks Dien,

Dan Kennedy Taught me how to RENT cars from a Car Dealer
to make a Restaurant Client Look Popular - To People Driving By - from the Road.

ADAPTED.

When I First Started in Marketing I had no office. So I met Prospects in Fancy Restaurants.

How Did I "FAKE" Success?

I Arrived Early.

A - Pre-Paid for my meal and my Guests

B - Lotto Tipped all the Waiters and Waitresses

C - Lotto tipped the Cooks

D - Handed people at nearby Tables a Stake of 10 One Dollar Bills & Lotto Tickets. And Asked Them to TIP The Waitress EVERY TIME I Tipped Mine.

RESULT?

I Turned A Biz Appointment into a PARTY.
Unconsciously PEOPLE WANT to Work with You If Being Near You is FUN.

And Even Though This was my 1st time at this Swanky Restaurant. Since EVERYBODY knew my name - The Client ASSUMED I dined here Frequently.

I Got this idea
From a 400 Million
Dollar Mentor.

He Has a Standing Bet that In Any Restaurant Group
Seated at the same table - HE GETS THE BILL. Because he is wearing a BESPOKE 5K Suit. And Talks LOUDLY. And Acts Arrogantly.

WHENEVER I meet with people like him - I Arrive Early.
And Short-Circuit what they Expect to Happen. REALLY throws them or a Loop! And you get to TALK 1 on 1 with Any Speaker or GURU you want. (Because they are Curious How You Bolixed up their Gamesmanship.)

(Bespoke is a wacky Word. Had to look it up a while back Just to TALK to a Lady who Sells Bespoke Suits.)

Thanks,
Glenn

Last edited by Dien Rice : November 8, 2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old November 10, 2022, 03:07 PM

Default I Did Test I DID Test Different Priced Lotto Tickets

Thanks Millard,

BUT

there

was

a

Problem.

Cashiers and Waitresses FELT SO BAD when I give them a 10.00 or 20.00 LOTTO ticket and They Lost.

They WOULD Not Take a 2nd Ticket.

They Gave it Back.

So I was Forced to Go back to 1.00 Lotto Tickets.

Glenn