SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
donalld

Default What is the most popular web development software?

Hi,
Which is the most popular software for web development? Like what big Web development companies use to develop their websites? Dream weaver? I have Visual Stuidio.Net but I feel that building a website using it is very complicated and not user friendly, what do you think? What also your recommendation for basic web development software? I will create only Html files and might embed some flash files inside.
Thanks
Old March 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Bozo

Default Re: What is the most popular web development software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalld View Post
Hi,
Which is the most popular software for web development? Like what big Web development companies use to develop their websites? Dream weaver? I have Visual Stuidio.Net but I feel that building a website using it is very complicated and not user friendly, what do you think? What also your recommendation for basic web development software? I will create only Html files and might embed some flash files inside.
Thanks

Notepad++ . It's free.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cornell

I am going to do something I have never done on this forum directly...and if Dein or Gordon wish to delete this post I'll understand....but as you have asked a direct question I will give a direct answer.

There are so many web site building softwares out there that trying to evaluate them would be very time taxing.

You weren't overly specific on what type, or the purpose of, the site you were wanting to create....so that really limits the answers.....

1......is it for disseminating info?

2.....is it for selling products from? and if so do you need an affiliate program for the products so others can sell?

3.....is it for a membership site?

4.....is it to be used for selling products as an affiliate?

5.....is it to be used as a landing type of site?

6.....is it an aggregated mall with sub web sites?

7....is it for something similar to an amazon site with products, stores, affiliate programs, etc.?

...so many options and each has it's own answer to the software to build it, power it, and maintain it.

....And then comes the question of how deep are your pockets.

Most hosting companies have a resident program for building sites...albeit they all really aren't very good.

Word Press Blogs are free but require many plugins to do specific things and will work nicely for 1, 2, 4.

Joomla...an open source code that is free would work for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....but it isn't the easiest thing to work with.

Then there are several all round softwares that are membership based with a monthly membership cost to use them...these would serve 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....I am not going to list them all here.....a simple Google search will return several to research and choose from.

Regarding #6....there were only 2 softwares capable of doing this....AthenaGold and eShowcase....as I haven't followed eShowcase for many years I did a quick search for it and came up empty handed....it could still be out there under another name as Western Web Works bought if from Bill Myers many, many years ago....but a light search couldn't find it....if that is the case then there is only one for this purpose now available and that is AthenaGold.

Regarding #7....pretty much only 2 ways to go for this one....have your own custom software built or use AthenaGold.

If the site you are wanting is just base simple and you know html coding then just hand code it and ftp it to the hosting account....I still do a few of these but not many anymore....I did a memorial site for my recently deceased mother by hand coding...I could have used our software to do it but decided it wouldn't hurt to hand code just to keep me in the loop of doing the hand coding for a simple site of 2 pages that required no interaction. I am toying with it as a business model now, and if I can figure out how to effectively market it then I will use our software for it.

Price ranges go from free to many thousands depending on what you want from your web site....and do due diligence as the some of the freebies can turn into nightmares very quickly...heck even some of the not so costly ones can also make one scream in frustration....and there are many very expensive softwares out there but there are some lower cost ones that will do what the very expensive ones will do, and in some cases better.

Okay ...here is where it might get dicely with Dein and Gordon....numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 can all be done with the AthenaGold software at a very reasonable price point....the dicey part....I am involved in AthenaGold software.

Cornell
Old March 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Okay ...here is where it might get dicely with Dein and Gordon....numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 can all be done with the AthenaGold software at a very reasonable price point....the dicey part....I am involved in AthenaGold software.
Hi,

I just wanted to add to what Cornell said...

Creating a website can require a bit of a "learning curve"...

Easy-to-use website creation software can certainly speed up the process!

The best option depends (as Cornell mentioned) on what your plans are, as well as your own technical capabilities, your willingness to learn, and your available time...

For example, take Dreamweaver. It can do a lot. But it takes a lot of time to master (I've never mastered it, for example)...

The best option really depends on you...

Best wishes!

Dien
Old March 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cornell

Default Dien....my apologies

Dien...my apologies....just read your response and saw the quote you included....and....oh my gosh....I reversed the ie in your name....unfortunately you don't have a blushing icon or I would include it here.

Cornell
Old March 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default No problem... It happens often... :) (DNO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Dien...my apologies....just read your response and saw the quote you included....and....oh my gosh....I reversed the ie in your name....unfortunately you don't have a blushing icon or I would include it here.

Cornell
Old March 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Pappy

Well as far as quick and dirty... hands down http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

There current version is wysiwyg web builder 8

I've been using them for about 6 years for my sites. And its just like the name says wysiwyg. Add your own php, html, css, or practically anything else. Decent support and a good forum. I think the new version is around $40. Bunches of free templates or you can start from scratch. AND a TON of extensions and tools.

BTW I do not have any affiliation with them, just a good product.

later...
Pappy