SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 1, 2012, 11:36 PM
Tina

Default Re: "All I got" is LOGIC -- therefore, I have nothing...

Hey, TW. I'm Tina - a new member here on the forum. And I hear what you're saying. Things that make no sense whatsoever to me are making other people money, left and right.

A specific, personal example from me: several years back, I was handed an opportunity to review a new style of books for a major publishing company. I took one look, pshawed the whole idea, and turned them down. Wouldn't you know? They were the "next big thing." Just my luck, huh?

So I told myself the next incredibly stupid idea I heard about, I was going to jump on it with both feet, eyes closed, and hit the ground running. Why? Why would any sensible, sane person do that? Because "it's what works." Ha.

As for the "logic" behind ringtones, it's all about nostalgia for a lot of people. Hearing even a few notes of a song brings back fond memories of a time gone by. For others, it's all about the "shock factor." Who would dare play something like THAT in public? Anyone looking to stand out in the crowd, to be different from everyone else.

There are many more "reasons" to go along with the ringtone thing, but it's highly unlikely even one of them are logical in the "you need this to survive" sense. Unless you know it's all about "emotional" needs -- and those, too, are required. Maybe not to survive, but to make us feel good enough about ourselves so we even CARE to survive.

Hmm. Maybe that didn't make sense. Who wouldn't "care" enough to fight for their own survival?

Okay, now I'm rambling, so I'll stop. Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi," really. And here I've gone and said a lot more.

Must get duct tape. Be still, fingers! Still! No more typing! (lol)

Tina

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
I evaluate things from this angle... "Does this make SENSE?" (is this logical?).

I see now, I should NOT do that. Problem is, that is the only tool I have in my toolbox! All I have is a hammer, so I keep looking for nails -- and there are none to find! Frustration.

I see it is *I* who needs to change.

Example off the top of my head... Many years ago, I discovered people were making MILLIONS off of selling (FRIGGIN') ***RING TONES***.

There is NO logic on earth (or any other planet) that could give ANY "priority" to buying a RING TONE. That HAS to be ***THE*** most UNNECESSARY item of all time! Yet, people were (apparently) buying them in DROVES!

My logic-addiction (+ big azzz ego) PREVENTED me from getting my share of that bonanza.

I cannot take my logic to the bank!

But I also cannot bring myself to tap into WASTE OF TIME trends + fads, either. So, bank account = zero while I'm doing "the right thing." (the logical thing(s)).

(((sigh)))
Old February 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
Bozo

Hey Tina! It's good to see you over here in the slums. Feel free to let your fingers ramble on that keyboard, I for one enjoy every word you spew out.
Old February 2, 2012, 12:53 AM
Tina

Hiya Boz!

It's great to be here, and aw, shucks. You're making me blush. Thank you.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Default Power Dialogues

Here's a link

http://www.barryneilkaufman.com/Book.php?id=63

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsulo View Post
I could only find an "The Option Process" cd set. Couldn't find a book with that title.

I did find a book called "To Love Is to Be Happy With: [the First Book of the Option Process]" on Abe Books.

I'd like to read the book you refer to but I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks.

-Chris
Old February 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
Richard Dennis

Default Re: The right way to ask questions is...

Gordon,

Took me awhile to find this one ... I read it 2 or 3 times, then packed it away ... but another good one is "Socratic Selling" by Kevin Daley and Emmett Wolfe. It's 150+ pages of every possible sales situation and what questions you should ask in that situation. The purpose is to make the salesperson forget their own agenda and be able to focus on what the prospect needs. For anyone whose experience in selling has been a contentious relationship with prospects, this approach definitely helps.

Richard
Old February 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dennis View Post
Gordon,

Took me awhile to find this one ... I read it 2 or 3 times, then packed it away ... but another good one is "Socratic Selling" by Kevin Daley and Emmett Wolfe. It's 150+ pages of every possible sales situation and what questions you should ask in that situation. The purpose is to make the salesperson forget their own agenda and be able to focus on what the prospect needs. For anyone whose experience in selling has been a contentious relationship with prospects, this approach definitely helps.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I found a nine page summary of "Socratic Selling", done by Frumi Rachel Barr, MBA, PhD.

She has a site called 100 Must Reads, where she has similar reviews of other business books.

The super condensed version of this is, "shine your little light on the customer."
Old February 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Richard Dennis

Boz,

Nice find. That is a terrific synopsis. She's probably got 98% of the value of the book in there.

Richard