SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 7, 2022, 06:49 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default What a Mastermind is Not...

There's a difference between "coaching" or "training" and a "Mastermind"...

A Mastermind is generally between peers... A case where each person can benefit from the feedback of the other person...

It's generally not a "one way street"... Whereas "coaching" and "training" tends to be one way...

A "guru" being surrounded by his or her adoring followers, eyes as wide as dinner plates... is usually not a "Mastermind"...

(Though there might be smaller Masterminds within the group... Such as followers who get to know each other, then form their own Mastermind...)

I feel I have to mention this because sometimes people sell coaching programs and trainings as "Masterminds"... when usually they are not the same...

Masterminds are very important, especially for us "solopreneurs"... Those in large companies may have their own "Masterminds" within the organization.

If you're in business for yourself, having a Mastermind "in house" like this is often not an option...

More later...

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
As far as I know, the concept of a "Mastermind" group originated with Napoleon Hill, in his book "Think and Grow Rich"...

Though some have added to it and helped us understand it more deeply - including Gordon Alexander and Glenn Osborn... I also read a short book on it by Mark Silver (which is not generally available to my knowledge)...

What is a Mastermind?

Napoleon Hill defined it as...
"Coordination of knowledge and effort, in a spirit of harmony between two or more people, for the attainment of a definite purpose."
We've all heard the phrase, "Two heads are better than one!"

However, the caveat is that these "two (or more) heads" should be in "harmony" of purpose... Without the harmony, it may not be helpful...

Two people snarling at each other like two dogs fighting... wishing to kill each other... is not a "Mastermind"...!

I have a "loose" mastermind... It consists of people like one of my brothers, Gordon Alexander, and a few others...

It is really important WHO is in your Mastermind... For business purposes, you want to choose others who are also entrepreneurial... Not people who will automatically knock your ideas down for the sake of it, because they don't want to see you succeed!

We can expand more on this later...

Till later,

Dien