SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 12, 2022, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default How do you "value" your time? The plasma solution.

Well, I've harped here for 22 years about TIME being more important than moolah. But, that is a bias, because it isn't that hard or time comsuming to meet monetary needs and wants...just Xchange value.

But, I would want to see how you and others place value on time, and I'm doing a case study, only because data is becoming available...on what is the most effective ways to reach money goals.

I'm working with a FEW people creating INFORMATION products for them to sell and to build a family of products around it, with each person having different money goals in mind.

And my INFORPRENEUR concept is just one of many a new to Online Marketing person can choose from.

So, I have found some starting affiliate marketing, who are willing to share their journey HONESTLY, keeping track of time too.

And some in eCom, a couple on eBay, where I can see how they do by their sold listings and feedback. And I have some idea of how much time they are spending on the set up and marketing.

Which is A LOT more than they tell you about, even the simple word press sites, if using plugins can require a big ball of time to learn.

Blood plasma. It seems some have found this and are using it as a source of income for their Online ventures, a funding source.

In their neck of the woods, they get 100 per visit, first 6 times, they can go 2 times a week, so a couple could make 400 per week, or 1200 or so in the first month. Spending about 90 minutes on site, and say another 45 in travel.
About 15 hours for the 1200 or roughly 80 bucks per hour of time.

Not all the maths are that easy to figure out.

But we have an example actual case study. OKAY. So how much time do they spend to make money?

Well, say this couple is dedicated to eCom, or to eBay and they have to source things to sell, list them, sell them, ship them out, etc.

For this example, we'll let them off easy, only 6 hours each a day, for 6 days a week. 12 x 6 = 72 hours of "work".

Now, if they or he/she works more than that, or less than that, we can adjust accordingly.

They have a 75 thousand dollar a year target for their income level. Or 125 if they want to net the 75. How many gizmos and gadgets do they have to sell, ship, handle returns on, give refunds for, resource products, keep the ecom going? I have NO idea and ZERO interest.

Give me an Entrepreneur who is willing and able to commit 6 hours a day for 6 days a week, and with Remote Direct Marketing techniques and Information as a base product, that person will get to the 75k mark much faster, and without all the slop and mess of handling fragile "antiques", collectibles, or shipping, packaging, sourcing, selling...serious...

SLOP AND MESS.

In my very humble opinion.

But, alas, to each his own. I root for them, wish them well.

Sort of what I do with the Cleve. Browns, whom last year were SuperBowl champs before the season, as they are again this season...and I will root them on, cheer for them...

But I won't bet on them. My NFL dollar would be put down on Cincy, best team in OH, the Browns, maybe 4th in OH, after Cincy, OSU, Mt. Union Purple Raiders...then maybe the browns.

I'll bet on infopreneuring over any and almost all other ways for the small one person band to make some noise at their bank.

Gordon
Old June 12, 2022, 08:15 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The great thing about selling information...

Hi Gordon,

I too like "information"...

One great thing about information is... You can use or sell it multiple times...

Something posted in a forum can also be sent out in an email (or vice versa), it can be posted on Twitter or Facebook, it can be put in a report and sold, or stuck in an online course...

You're absolutely right about needing to calculate your time... Many people don't do that (and I sometimes forget too)!

Awesome post about an important subject!

- Dien

P.S. Uh... selling blood? Some do it, but... well, not for me...

P.P.S. Jokes can be reused too...

Here's one of my favorite passages in a story, that always makes me chuckle... (especially the last sentence.)

An example of humor, though not reused...!
There was a little old man driving, and his little old wife was screaming at him. They were lost. They didn't know which way to turn. And in all the confusion, the guy just stopped. I asked where he was going, and then I received an amazing answer.

He said, "I don't know. I can't remember."

Well, it's kind of hard to give directions to someone who is clueless as to the destination. Isn't it?

I directed him to a little parking lot up Howe Rd., a sewing machine repair shop, and then I ran after him. The crowds were cheering and waving at me. Many with just one finger.
That was written, of course, by Gordon Alexander...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Well, I've harped here for 22 years about TIME being more important than moolah. But, that is a bias, because it isn't that hard or time comsuming to meet monetary needs and wants...just Xchange value.

But, I would want to see how you and others place value on time, and I'm doing a case study, only because data is becoming available...on what is the most effective ways to reach money goals.

I'm working with a FEW people creating INFORMATION products for them to sell and to build a family of products around it, with each person having different money goals in mind.

And my INFORPRENEUR concept is just one of many a new to Online Marketing person can choose from.

So, I have found some starting affiliate marketing, who are willing to share their journey HONESTLY, keeping track of time too.

And some in eCom, a couple on eBay, where I can see how they do by their sold listings and feedback. And I have some idea of how much time they are spending on the set up and marketing.

Which is A LOT more than they tell you about, even the simple word press sites, if using plugins can require a big ball of time to learn.

Blood plasma. It seems some have found this and are using it as a source of income for their Online ventures, a funding source.

In their neck of the woods, they get 100 per visit, first 6 times, they can go 2 times a week, so a couple could make 400 per week, or 1200 or so in the first month. Spending about 90 minutes on site, and say another 45 in travel.
About 15 hours for the 1200 or roughly 80 bucks per hour of time.

Not all the maths are that easy to figure out.

But we have an example actual case study. OKAY. So how much time do they spend to make money?

Well, say this couple is dedicated to eCom, or to eBay and they have to source things to sell, list them, sell them, ship them out, etc.

For this example, we'll let them off easy, only 6 hours each a day, for 6 days a week. 12 x 6 = 72 hours of "work".

Now, if they or he/she works more than that, or less than that, we can adjust accordingly.

They have a 75 thousand dollar a year target for their income level. Or 125 if they want to net the 75. How many gizmos and gadgets do they have to sell, ship, handle returns on, give refunds for, resource products, keep the ecom going? I have NO idea and ZERO interest.

Give me an Entrepreneur who is willing and able to commit 6 hours a day for 6 days a week, and with Remote Direct Marketing techniques and Information as a base product, that person will get to the 75k mark much faster, and without all the slop and mess of handling fragile "antiques", collectibles, or shipping, packaging, sourcing, selling...serious...

SLOP AND MESS.

In my very humble opinion.

But, alas, to each his own. I root for them, wish them well.

Sort of what I do with the Cleve. Browns, whom last year were SuperBowl champs before the season, as they are again this season...and I will root them on, cheer for them...

But I won't bet on them. My NFL dollar would be put down on Cincy, best team in OH, the Browns, maybe 4th in OH, after Cincy, OSU, Mt. Union Purple Raiders...then maybe the browns.

I'll bet on infopreneuring over any and almost all other ways for the small one person band to make some noise at their bank.

Gordon
Old June 13, 2022, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Default Over the years, one thing that has bothered me is...

Why are so many people like my Uncle Frank, who as my dad said, "would rather climb a tall tree and tell a lie than stay on the ground and tell the truth"...

Only in Biz/Money Making, WHY do we all get involved in the SLOP & MESS (my fav. Harvey Brody concept).

Once it was pointed out to me by Harvey circa 2008 or so, I changed directions and saw how much I was creating my own problems.

And How SO MUCH of biz and making money was way OVER complicated, and after listening to Harvey's SLOP AND MESS audio for about 1001 times, I came away with the idea of eliminating as much of it as I could.

Then things got much easier and more moolah with less effort arrived too.

I think it is human nature...to want to complicate things, to make them more difficult than need be. When Harvey "taught"/told me about selling products which didn't need copywriting, it was a major light bulb and I saw an entire industry in a different light.

90% of all so-called GREAT copywriting, were for products which needed to be sold, and in fact, there are so many more just laying around which need not be sold, just presented without the need for "salesmanship in print", well, that makes life so much easier for a marketer.

So, eBay is great, I was an early adopter, my third or fourth Avatar on it, the same as today, has just a handful of transactions, because after the HB "slop and mess" idea,

I saw the slop and mess.

Nothing wrong with it, if you want to do it. If you want to sell tchotchkes and knick knacks, and wrap them up, send them off, and all that...GREAT, do what you love to do.

I understand why we tend to busy ourselves in low return activity, the idea of doing something is akin to buying a book, or course and never finishing it, or ever APPLYING the lessons learned. It is ours.

It sits on our shelf in our Man/Marketer/Bat caves, and we can say we OWN it, we know it, we have it...and that is a market unto itself too.

But, when someone, anyone, takes the time to ask simple questions, and can take a step back, unless they are in their own quicksand or muck...if they can not face the future witout desperation...they could see clearly how much needless and useless LOW RETURN motion they do.

In Harvey Brody speak, the higher gears do most of the work, and eliminates as much of the daily attention/hands-on-labor (as required by eBay for example)...then when that realization takes place, you no longer want to remain in low level return activity.

There are better ways to do it.

And the fact, almost every successful Internet Marketer as well as many of the LEGENDS of Remote Direct Marketing have information for sale...well, it is a high level ROI, and one which has some of the least amounts of slop and mess for making dough.

Also, why list 50, 100 little items, when one can list ONE item which has the 300 to 500 dollar profit in it, for free on Facebook marketplace groups???

Oh well.

As long as you are happy with your day, how you spend your time and are satisfied with the return on your time profts, all is well in the world, eh?

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

I too like "information"...

One great thing about information is... You can use or sell it multiple times...

Something posted in a forum can also be sent out in an email (or vice versa), it can be posted on Twitter or Facebook, it can be put in a report and sold, or stuck in an online course...

You're absolutely right about needing to calculate your time... Many people don't do that (and I sometimes forget too)!

Awesome post about an important subject!

- Dien

P.S. Uh... selling blood? Some do it, but... well, not for me...

P.P.S. Jokes can be reused too...

Here's one of my favorite passages in a story, that always makes me chuckle... (especially the last sentence.)

An example of humor, though not reused...!
There was a little old man driving, and his little old wife was screaming at him. They were lost. They didn't know which way to turn. And in all the confusion, the guy just stopped. I asked where he was going, and then I received an amazing answer.

He said, "I don't know. I can't remember."

Well, it's kind of hard to give directions to someone who is clueless as to the destination. Isn't it?

I directed him to a little parking lot up Howe Rd., a sewing machine repair shop, and then I ran after him. The crowds were cheering and waving at me. Many with just one finger.
That was written, of course, by Gordon Alexander...
Old June 13, 2022, 11:06 AM

Default Re: How do you "value" your time? The plasma solution.

I like info products but - generally - haven't figured out how to reach the markets where buyers make no-brainer decisions. Must re-investigate!

My ebay/Amazon "stuff" is a bit like chatteling except the products are bought in, so the sales page is created once and lasts until either I can no longer get the product (rare) or a competitor buys a truck load and undercuts me. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen much as my products tend to be very niche.

A lot of the stuff I sell, I'd no idea existed before going into this market

Ebay's advertising suits me - pay more if it sells, otherwise no money changes hands.

But Amazon is more hands off and usually sells an order of magnitude more than ebay. Which is nice as I just bundle 10/50/100/200 of an item and let Amazon do the shipping and customer service.
Old June 13, 2022, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default This is great. Just keep Amazon at bay.

Keep under their radar, or else they will buy
all your supplier has and sell it themselves...oh, no, they DON'T compete with their vendors, do they?

Whatever is working, I always say, keep it going, and add a little to no time add on side hustle, or automated cash cow just in case ... and also for what it is worth, keep your supply side secret, and look for other little known markets with ready to spend buyers.

Start to examine the niche you are in, google that plus 'information" and see if there is anything being sold. scribd has been good to me for finding out about some little known niches and what information people are seeking too.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
I like info products but - generally - haven't figured out how to reach the markets where buyers make no-brainer decisions. Must re-investigate!

My ebay/Amazon "stuff" is a bit like chatteling except the products are bought in, so the sales page is created once and lasts until either I can no longer get the product (rare) or a competitor buys a truck load and undercuts me. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen much as my products tend to be very niche.

A lot of the stuff I sell, I'd no idea existed before going into this market

Ebay's advertising suits me - pay more if it sells, otherwise no money changes hands.

But Amazon is more hands off and usually sells an order of magnitude more than ebay. Which is nice as I just bundle 10/50/100/200 of an item and let Amazon do the shipping and customer service.
Old June 13, 2022, 12:57 PM

Default Re: This is great. Just keep Amazon at bay.

Many thanks for those pointers!

Agree that Amazon are big and do my best to avoid anything that could be added to their range.