SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 14, 2022, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default So what is the "slop and mess" of making money, or running a business?

Start ups and newbie, usually due to underfunding, have to wear many hats; bookkeeper, manager, worker bee...all things which eventually will fall to hired help...as in accountants, lawyers, contractors perhaps.

It takes time, money and energy to get the ball rolling.

That is, unless...

You start at the top and push it down the hill.

Just a tiny mindset of a difference, I learned from Burt Morgan and his book START AT THE TOP. The man was a genius businessman.

Most of us are taught, schooled and educated to START at the bottom, and work our way up the ladder. It is very old school. And today, with plenty of teenage evidence found on social media, one doesn't have to start at the bottom, they avoid the mail room by going directly to the executive suites.

Today, as I slog through some very deep, ingrained, rooted neural tropes of yesteryear...

that is, finding some of my INFOPRENEURS are holding tightly onto the idea of being a Sysiphus while trying to push their rocks up the hill.

Over 40 folk are especially of this OLD world belief.

Harder to get them to FOCUS on today and modern opportunities.

Younger folk, they who have grown up with Internet, Cell phones and gaming, are more adept at embracing the NEW world way to do things.

But what is the slop and mess I so dearly despise? Well, of course, employees are at the top of my list, BUT, there are many an Entrepreneur who build their businesses for family and friends, Ben Suarez comes to mind as one of these types.

And I never tell anyone else what THEY should do, especially start ups, other than get on top of the marketing right out of the gate.

What I see TODAY, is too much energy spent on trying to LEARN software, and keywords, and focusing TIME on activity which does not quickly and directly impact the bottom line.

One of my hallmarks, is, circulation beats storage. I can't watch videos of guys with back rooms, warehouses, sheds, garages, basements and attics and those storage centers (I did manage one at one time)...full of stuff, junk, product.

It pains me almost as seeing a garage full of SA8 and Nutrilite filled pallets, which are fast approaching expiration dates...or a closet full of Mary Kay or a pantry stocked with Tupperware.

Anyhoo...

Now I get that some of you are tired hearing about how great information is, and you haven't been able to figure out how to do it yet...but there simply isn't an easier product to create or sell.

But no matter what you choose to do, I strongly suggest you have TIME LINES, even deadlines for your activity, or else you could get bogged down in time consuming, money wasting NOT money making activities.

So for now, slop and mess might be any activity that is not currently bringing buckeroos into your bank account.

Also, I see a lot of people who like to get stuck in the slop and mess, it gives them the feeling they are solving problems and making advances...when in reality (after 40 years of eyewitness proof); they are simply making mud pies and telling everyone the dirt on their hands are proof they are doing something.

If it isn't adding dollars today, it is probably slop and mess, eh? NO?

Gordon

P.S. The one big thing I see lacking today is... a sense of URGENCY. My opine: too much thought, and not enough action. (Isn't that a Country Western song?).

If you don't act as if what you are doing is important, don't expect others too either.

Last edited by GordonJ : June 14, 2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old June 14, 2022, 12:55 PM

Default Re: So what is the "slop and mess" of making money, or running a business?

Gordon,

When I first read what you were writing about Slop and Mess I knew you were pointing out something I needed to figure out. Somehow I have always had an aversion to Slop and Mess I just had not gotten a clear idea yet of what it was I was avoiding. Now I even have a name for it! Thanks!

For example, as much as I love the idea of making talismans, doing tarot readings, or casting spells for clients I know I am not going to market those services because of Slop and Mess. So they will remain things I can do for a few people now and then.

I can also at this point say I have wallowed in the Slop and Mess of most of the business activities & distractions you point out. My path in life from a business perspective is a case study in what not to do.

Feels like I am growing and learning running this obstacle course so there is that. Being a young kid in my 50s I've probably got a few decades left to enjoy a low Slop and Mess info empire. So time to see how much learning and growing there has been so far.

Now what ACTION have I taken?

What you found on Etsy and Ebay (S. Rob's magick cards in particular) made me face the fact that people buy what I have been fascinated with for decades. Searching further just confirmed what you were showing us.

Not just a few people are buying either. Many of these listings are selling hundreds of copies or more of what appear to be hotsheets and short booklets.

So with all that staring me in the face, I challenged myself to come up with a magickal hotsheet. I committed to start writing today after my morning meditation. The hotsheet is being created for those wanting to make changes in their life using magick.

Turns out there are at least four broad areas people want to see results with magick so really at least four hotsheets. Money/business/career, Love/Sex/Romance, Curse Removal/Protection, and Stress Relief/Relaxation look to be big areas of interest.

While I don't know quite what to use for a headline I was able to come up with a simple magick how-to for specific goals. Goes pretty fast with some focus!

Basically it is a step by step process for combining affirmations and visualizations fueled by emotions with a simple card (yet to be designed) should make it easy to do the magick working. In creating the outline I am already seeing the material expanding into natural magick suggestions and other additions.

So thanks again for all you share. Some of us are turtle slow but pathologically stubborn.

--Eric

P.S. I finally figured out why my past efforts resemble the antics of a squirrel smoking crack. Divided Will. Focusing my capacity to act in one single direction has changed everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Start ups and newbie, usually due to underfunding, have to wear many hats; bookkeeper, manager, worker bee...all things which eventually will fall to hired help...as in accountants, lawyers, contractors perhaps.

It takes time, money and energy to get the ball rolling.

That is, unless...

You start at the top and push it down the hill.

Just a tiny mindset of a difference, I learned from Burt Morgan and his book START AT THE TOP. The man was a genius businessman.

Most of us are taught, schooled and educated to START at the bottom, and work our way up the ladder. It is very old school. And today, with plenty of teenage evidence found on social media, one doesn't have to start at the bottom, they avoid the mail room by going directly to the executive suites.

Today, as I slog through some very deep, ingrained, rooted neural tropes of yesteryear...

that is, finding some of my INFOPRENEURS are holding tightly onto the idea of being a Sysiphus while trying to push their rocks up the hill.

Over 40 folk are especially of this OLD world belief.

Harder to get them to FOCUS on today and modern opportunities.

Younger folk, they who have grown up with Internet, Cell phones and gaming, are more adept at embracing the NEW world way to do things.

But what is the slop and mess I so dearly despise? Well, of course, employees are at the top of my list, BUT, there are many an Entrepreneur who build their businesses for family and friends, Ben Suarez comes to mind as one of these types.

And I never tell anyone else what THEY should do, especially start ups, other than get on top of the marketing right out of the gate.

What I see TODAY, is too much energy spent on trying to LEARN software, and keywords, and focusing TIME on activity which does not quickly and directly impact the bottom line.

One of my hallmarks, is, circulation beats storage. I can't watch videos of guys with back rooms, warehouses, sheds, garages, basements and attics and those storage centers (I did manage one at one time)...full of stuff, junk, product.

It pains me almost as seeing a garage full of SA8 and Nutrilite filled pallets, which are fast approaching expiration dates...or a closet full of Mary Kay or a pantry stocked with Tupperware.

Anyhoo...

Now I get that some of you are tired hearing about how great information is, and you haven't been able to figure out how to do it yet...but there simply isn't an easier product to create or sell.

But no matter what you choose to do, I strongly suggest you have TIME LINES, even deadlines for your activity, or else you could get bogged down in time consuming, money wasting NOT money making activities.

So for now, slop and mess might be any activity that is not currently bringing buckeroos into your bank account.

Also, I see a lot of people who like to get stuck in the slop and mess, it gives them the feeling they are solving problems and making advances...when in reality (after 40 years of eyewitness proof); they are simply making mud pies and telling everyone the dirt on their hands are proof they are doing something.

If it isn't adding dollars today, it is probably slop and mess, eh? NO?

Gordon

P.S. The one big thing I see lacking today is... a sense of URGENCY. My opine: too much thought, and not enough action. (Isn't that a Country Western song?).

If you don't act as if what you are doing is important, don't expect others too either.
Old June 14, 2022, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default I encourage you to make seperate HOTSHEETS, and how you might test them.

Eric, it took the genius of Harvey Brody to point how much slop and mess I had back then too, albeit, I thought I was doing OK. I think we all have to go through some sort of an awakening or at least a ridding ourselves of the pumpkins on our heads.

I say go ahead and start your hotsheet, without a headline, and let the message you want to send, deliver your headline (PI) to you.

A few notes, take em or leave em, for your journey:

Romance/Love/Companionship with SEX, and then SEX by itself, depending on your target market. My "magickal" take on romance has always been, what you are seeking, is seeking you...BE THE PERSON you want your ideal to find, then get out of your own way.

I think some thinking along those lines would find an audience, and couple with a heart quartz or a romancing the stone type thing would do well.

Protection is a big market, I can feel the thousands of curses tossed in my direction over the years, dripping like hot candle wax off my backside. Ouch.

But for what it is worth, GET ONE done. Do a one page Hotsheet, then do a four page WHITE PAPER on the subject, then add some graphics, put it into a nice looking file, and you have a great little report...use as a Front End to get names on a list, or sell as an Automatic Product Vending thing. Go through this process:

HOTSHEET----WHITE PAPER---ILLUSTRATED SHORT REPORT and then you will have created a template you can use for all the things you want to write on...and good luck to you, keep solving all things in the direction of your goal and let the magick take you to new heights.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC View Post
Gordon,

When I first read what you were writing about Slop and Mess I knew you were pointing out something I needed to figure out. Somehow I have always had an aversion to Slop and Mess I just had not gotten a clear idea yet of what it was I was avoiding. Now I even have a name for it! Thanks!

For example, as much as I love the idea of making talismans, doing tarot readings, or casting spells for clients I know I am not going to market those services because of Slop and Mess. So they will remain things I can do for a few people now and then.

I can also at this point say I have wallowed in the Slop and Mess of most of the business activities & distractions you point out. My path in life from a business perspective is a case study in what not to do.

Feels like I am growing and learning running this obstacle course so there is that. Being a young kid in my 50s I've probably got a few decades left to enjoy a low Slop and Mess info empire. So time to see how much learning and growing there has been so far.

Now what ACTION have I taken?

What you found on Etsy and Ebay (S. Rob's magick cards in particular) made me face the fact that people buy what I have been fascinated with for decades. Searching further just confirmed what you were showing us.

Not just a few people are buying either. Many of these listings are selling hundreds of copies or more of what appear to be hotsheets and short booklets.

So with all that staring me in the face, I challenged myself to come up with a magickal hotsheet. I committed to start writing today after my morning meditation. The hotsheet is being created for those wanting to make changes in their life using magick.

Turns out there are at least four broad areas people want to see results with magick so really at least four hotsheets. Money/business/career, Love/Sex/Romance, Curse Removal/Protection, and Stress Relief/Relaxation look to be big areas of interest.

While I don't know quite what to use for a headline I was able to come up with a simple magick how-to for specific goals. Goes pretty fast with some focus!

Basically it is a step by step process for combining affirmations and visualizations fueled by emotions with a simple card (yet to be designed) should make it easy to do the magick working. In creating the outline I am already seeing the material expanding into natural magick suggestions and other additions.

So thanks again for all you share. Some of us are turtle slow but pathologically stubborn.

--Eric

P.S. I finally figured out why my past efforts resemble the antics of a squirrel smoking crack. Divided Will. Focusing my capacity to act in one single direction has changed everything.
Old June 14, 2022, 05:43 PM

Default Re: I encourage you to make seperate HOTSHEETS, and how you might test them.

Thanks Gordon.

With you on the Be The Person You Want concept.

My Attracting Love Hotsheet (working headline) turned into three pages pretty quick. I think I might have included too much process explanation. Haven't even included any info on using a crystal heart touch stone! Speaking of crystal hearts I found them in bulk on Alibaba. I really like the idea of including them in the mix. Assuming the slop and mess factor isn't too high.

While not a one page hotsheet I imagine what I have now might be a good start at a white paper. I am going to take a peek at some of the hotsheets I have from you in my archives for ideas as I edit. I suspect I can take the skeleton out of my current document and make a 1 page hotsheet. Then adding to and editing the original should go a long ways to creating a white paper.

Thanks again. Nice productive afternoon!

--Eric

Quote:
Eric, it took the genius of Harvey Brody to point how much slop and mess I had back then too, albeit, I thought I was doing OK. I think we all have to go through some sort of an awakening or at least a ridding ourselves of the pumpkins on our heads.

I say go ahead and start your hotsheet, without a headline, and let the message you want to send, deliver your headline (PI) to you.

A few notes, take em or leave em, for your journey:

Romance/Love/Companionship with SEX, and then SEX by itself, depending on your target market. My "magickal" take on romance has always been, what you are seeking, is seeking you...BE THE PERSON you want your ideal to find, then get out of your own way.

I think some thinking along those lines would find an audience, and couple with a heart quartz or a romancing the stone type thing would do well.

Protection is a big market, I can feel the thousands of curses tossed in my direction over the years, dripping like hot candle wax off my backside. Ouch.

But for what it is worth, GET ONE done. Do a one page Hotsheet, then do a four page WHITE PAPER on the subject, then add some graphics, put it into a nice looking file, and you have a great little report...use as a Front End to get names on a list, or sell as an Automatic Product Vending thing. Go through this process:

HOTSHEET----WHITE PAPER---ILLUSTRATED SHORT REPORT and then you will have created a template you can use for all the things you want to write on...and good luck to you, keep solving all things in the direction of your goal and let the magick take you to new heights.

Gordon
Old June 15, 2022, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Don't forget the one page booklet too.

I'll dig out the template and post it later today, but your subject might be perfect for a little BOOKLET, of 16 pages, which can be easily carried in a shirt pocket or wallet.

I think a lot of guys would like a little "coach" they carry with them, to remind them of what they need to do, and maybe it can have the quartz attached too??

Anyhow, good ideas...let me know how I can further help, would love to see someone here DO something once in awhile.

Gordon

Quote:
Thanks Gordon.

With you on the Be The Person You Want concept.

My Attracting Love Hotsheet (working headline) turned into three pages pretty quick. I think I might have included too much process explanation. Haven't even included any info on using a crystal heart touch stone! Speaking of crystal hearts I found them in bulk on Alibaba. I really like the idea of including them in the mix. Assuming the slop and mess factor isn't too high.

While not a one page hotsheet I imagine what I have now might be a good start at a white paper. I am going to take a peek at some of the hotsheets I have from you in my archives for ideas as I edit. I suspect I can take the skeleton out of my current document and make a 1 page hotsheet. Then adding to and editing the original should go a long ways to creating a white paper.

Thanks again. Nice productive afternoon!

--Eric
Old June 15, 2022, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default Here is a template and short hotsheet follow up.

Quote:
I'll dig out the template and post it later today, but your subject might be perfect for a little BOOKLET, of 16 pages, which can be easily carried in a shirt pocket or wallet.

Gordon

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z0ji8...v2920lhuj4bvyh

This should open the 16 page booklet made from a single 8.5" X 11" piece of paper.

And here is the HOTSHEET (more than one page) I used as a follow up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkt4ohmkjw...rectp.pdf?dl=0

I did a couple of different versions, one was a homemade one, which I used a heavy card stock, yellow, and printed out myself, and the other ran through a laser printer, on a slick paper, with color.

Anyhow, I sold it outright. But the best use of it was as a FRONT END giveaway, and then gave the HOTSHEET as a bonus.

This was a few years back, and generated several dozen buyers of a higher priced consulting service, WELL worth the time, although I'm not sure how many people followed through.

Take note on the back of the booklet, I had other offers too. So, it was a promotional piece also. I like when information has multi uses.

Be glad to ask answer any questions.

Gordon
Old June 15, 2022, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Don't forget the one page booklet too.

Thanks for the help Gordon.

I dug into my dusty hotsheet archives. They look to go back to 2005 and before! The info from you back then is as good now as it was then. Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Between a restless puppy and my mind working in the background on this template all night I might need a nap later. BUT I woke up with a concise 1 page template in my head for How to Craft and Cast a Simple _____ Spell. From there I see how the white paper & template will likely develop.

The pocket booklet sounds interesting. Not just for love. Once again a template could well be created. Having a pocket booklet of success spells/affirmations/touchstone etc. to take with me to job interviews would have helped my pre-interview jangled nerves a bit.

At this rate in some number of months I could have enough templates filled out for different applications to create a catalog. Last night I started thinking such a catalog could be periodic with themed issues quoting from old occult material. I have a million+ of pages of magick documents on my hard drive going back to the 1400s. Be a fun and maybe profitable way to share some of those gems.

btw: Thank you to the occultists from times long forgotten who wrote down what they discovered on their paths. The templates are sitting out there collecting real and digital dust just waiting for curious minds to discover them.

Okay off to write up my morning template revelations.

Thanks.

--Eric

Quote:

I think a lot of guys would like a little "coach" they carry with them, to remind them of what they need to do, and maybe it can have the quartz attached too??

Anyhow, good ideas...let me know how I can further help, would love to see someone here DO something once in awhile.

Gordon
Old June 15, 2022, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Here is a template and short hotsheet follow up.

Thanks Gordon!

Oh man, silly chants! Definitely going to come up with some of those to go with the one line spells. Glenn O has been my inspiration for all things rhyming. Just haven't found a place I wanted to use that superpower, yet.

Offers on the back noted! A great place to list the other How to Craft and Cast Spells titles. And offer a catalog subscription. Or a QR code going to my catalog website. Or a crystal.

I will have more questions no doubt. Time to get step one done.

Quote:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z0ji8...v2920lhuj4bvyh

This should open the 16 page booklet made from a single 8.5" X 11" piece of paper.

And here is the HOTSHEET (more than one page) I used as a follow up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkt4ohmkjw...rectp.pdf?dl=0

I did a couple of different versions, one was a homemade one, which I used a heavy card stock, yellow, and printed out myself, and the other ran through a laser printer, on a slick paper, with color.

Anyhow, I sold it outright. But the best use of it was as a FRONT END giveaway, and then gave the HOTSHEET as a bonus.

This was a few years back, and generated several dozen buyers of a higher priced consulting service, WELL worth the time, although I'm not sure how many people followed through.

Take note on the back of the booklet, I had other offers too. So, it was a promotional piece also. I like when information has multi uses.

Be glad to ask answer any questions.

Gordon
Old June 15, 2022, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default You may have this HOTSHEET, but others may find it useful too.

I'm excited to see someone do something.

Anyhow, here is one of my favs:

https://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/7stepshotsheet.pdf

The 7 Steps Hotsheet.

GjA

Quote:
Thanks for the help Gordon.

I dug into my dusty hotsheet archives. They look to go back to 2005 and before! The info from you back then is as good now as it was then. Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Between a restless puppy and my mind working in the background on this template all night I might need a nap later. BUT I woke up with a concise 1 page template in my head for How to Craft and Cast a Simple _____ Spell. From there I see how the white paper & template will likely develop.

The pocket booklet sounds interesting. Not just for love. Once again a template could well be created. Having a pocket booklet of success spells/affirmations/touchstone etc. to take with me to job interviews would have helped my pre-interview jangled nerves a bit.

At this rate in some number of months I could have enough templates filled out for different applications to create a catalog. Last night I started thinking such a catalog could be periodic with themed issues quoting from old occult material. I have a million+ of pages of magick documents on my hard drive going back to the 1400s. Be a fun and maybe profitable way to share some of those gems.

btw: Thank you to the occultists from times long forgotten who wrote down what they discovered on their paths. The templates are sitting out there collecting real and digital dust just waiting for curious minds to discover them.

Okay off to write up my morning template revelations.

Thanks.

--Eric
Old June 15, 2022, 05:06 PM

Default Re: You may have this HOTSHEET, but others may find it useful too.

Thanks Gordon.

I do have that hotsheet. Thinking through the steps was helpful. Particularly the Intersection step. For some reason I had an intellectual understanding of it and was still habitually trying to create my own intersection instead of going to other intersections to find the crowd. After practicing looking around offline for crowd intersections the idea became more real when I was online.

So, I have my How to Craft and Cast Simple ______ Spells template written up. With two optional spell power booster sections, the Crystal Touch Stone and the Silly Rhyme! This is starting to look pretty neat.

I think I can use it for a number of specific customer spell casting goals. Just need to pick a goal a customer might have, come up with an example spell and write a simple or silly rhyme to go with it if they don't want to write spells for themselves.

Next the White Paper then a series of Spell Casting Guides for Witches and Wizards Wanting _______ booklets. Fill in the template blank with Love, Sex, Job Interviews, Finding Business Ideas, Relationships, Sexually Fulfilling Relationships, and on and on.

As I go through this process I am starting to get more and more ideas for topics to write about on my web site. I think there is a synergy going on where writing articles sparks hotsheet ideas and hotsheets ideas spark article ideas. The key appears to be the specificity of the ideas. Narrow ideas are more helpful in creating more ideas.

Tomorrow will be white paper day.

Quote:
I'm excited to see someone do something.

Anyhow, here is one of my favs:

https://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/7stepshotsheet.pdf

The 7 Steps Hotsheet.

GjA