SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 4, 2008, 08:55 PM
Phil

Default Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- aka The connection we're not making...

Wonderfully said Bob...

As I posted in...

'Last lecture' professor dies of cancer... Definitely inspirational...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21903

Live Life to the Fullest and Treat each day like it's your last...
http://www.wikihow.com/Live-Life-to-the-Fullest

Phil
Old August 5, 2008, 03:11 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The Millionaire Mind vs. the Criminal Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
I saw a documentary in the UK about the "Millionaire Mind."

They made the point that the millionaire mind is almost identical to the criminal mind, in many ways.

I believe that is true.
Hi TW,

Wow, that's a very interesting thought...!

I don't know if it's true, but if it is, maybe this is why...?

It seems to me that something in common is many entrepreneurs, as well as many criminals, look for "loopholes"...

A criminal might be looking for "loopholes" in security, for example. Such as any "loophole" in bank security, store security, credit card transaction security, etc.

Many entrepreneurs look for "loopholes" too... Of course, it could be a "hole" in the market that isn't yet being fulfilled. However, it could also be "loopholes" in the law, or "loopholes" in a contract.

Bill Gates made practically all his wealth from a "loophole" he created in his contract with IBM, allowing Microsoft to sell their operating system independently to third parties. That single "loophole" brought down IBM from being the "superpower" of computers, and helped Microsoft to take over!

Of course, many of the wealthy actively look for "loopholes" in tax law, to allow them to pay less tax. (Or they have people on payroll, looking for these loopholes for them.) It's a fact that many of the very wealthy pay a lower percentage of their income in tax than the middle-class do. That's because every law has loopholes, and people can find the loopholes in the law and exploit them.

I recently read about a business which provides low-cost treatment for recovering alcoholics (called simply, "The Retreat", located in Wayzata, Minnesota). Many alcohol and drug addiction treatment facilities are very expensive, because of the medical teams they legally need to have on hand. This business doesn't have those medical teams, so they cut their costs, and can charge much less. It means that a treatment facility is available to those who can't afford the usual exhorbitant fees. The "loophole" this business uses to do this is that, they are not legally registered as a treatment facility. Instead, they are only registered to provide "board and lodging". You can read the article about them here - http://www.startribune.com/business/26187774.html

I don't know if that's the kind of thing the program you saw was referring to, but that's what came to my mind. It'd be interesting to find out more about this British documentary you saw...

Cheers,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 5, 2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: additional info
Old August 5, 2008, 10:33 AM
-TW

Default BBC show link...

But it doesn't say much...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/tv/millionaire/
Old August 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Millionaires and Criminals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
Hi TW,

Thanks for the link!

I found an article which might shed some light on how millionaires can be like criminals, according to that show you referred to, "Mind of a Millionaire"...

The article is "Moneyed words" - http://arts.guardian.co.uk/critic/fe...160323,00.html

To quote from the article...

Quote:
This enthralling series seems to prove that there is a type. Successful entrepreneurs are maniacally energetic, self-confident, self-centred gamblers. A striking 73 per cent don't notice or care what other people think of them. It is a positive asset to be poor and poorly educated. They have, essentially, all the characteristics of the criminal. As Ivan Massow (one O-level in metalwork and £30m) said to the young prisoners he was trying to motivate: "The skills you need to get into trouble are very similar to the skills you need to be businessmen." They were all, he said, entrepreneurs. "Failed, obviously."
I thought this quote near the start of the article was interesting too...

Quote:
Much the most entertaining [millionaire] was 18-year-old Dominic McVey. He was the essence of Kevin. He responded to conversational gambits with grunts. He flopped in a corner looking filleted. One long, bleached strand of hair suggested the stuffing was coming out of his head. His mouth hung open. He has been a multimillionaire since he was 15, when America gave him the European distribution rights to that scooter that used to get under your feet everywhere. His headmaster noticed he was playing truant again when he saw him on TV in Tokyo, exploring the possibility of importing Japanese lavatories. "I don't think Dominic feels he needs a safety net," said this much-tried man. "He believed in himself to a degree that most people find quite irritating." Dominic agreed. "You have to be so confident in yourself it can make you cringe. But if you're not, you ain't gonna do it."
It's an interesting article...

Dien
Old August 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
-TW

Default Criminal mind...

Risk taking, paying no attention to the 'rules,' super confidence, the ability to persuade others, charm, pushing the envelope, creativity, taking advantage on untapped resources (!), competitiveness, pioneer spirit, occasional genius, seeing the whole picture, zigging when others are zagging, lone wolf syndrome, unemployable, etc.
Old August 5, 2008, 07:37 PM
Erik Lukas

In my mind, there is a difference between a lifestyle business and a scalable business that not many entrepreneurs truly get right off the bat, especially if they're exposed to IM first.

In looking for investors for a current project, I'm looking for people or groups that can put in a bare minimum of $1-2m. I had a realization about true building block wealth when comparing people supposedly at the top of the IM game who would be stretched to have a liquid $1m to sanely invest (taking diversification into account and the fact they should have a lot of their investments and assets in other less high risk activities) to those who have built companies/empires/mastered 'systems' and capitalized on it in a big way.

I appreciate your post, TW. I think it can be eye opening if looked at in the right light...

Success,
Erik

P.S. I would urge you not to think of there only being 3 channels/wormholes for 'escaping' what you see as the 'low' ranks... there are thousands of paths, only limited by your imagination. Hint: all you need to do is get one eccentric game changer on your side who wants to make your success 'their' success and you'll be off to the races! Hint #2: never admit to the real world that you aren't already well versed in their 'level' and what it takes to make it a success (but also acknowledge you know the plan will have to be rewritten daily as you redirect based on its reception in the 'market')
Old August 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
Doc Jakson

I find this discussion to be one of the most interesting, insightful and inspiring that I've read in a long time..Thanks TM for kicking it off..I for one appreciate it..

all the best,
Doc
Old August 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Here is the Wormhole. The elevator from low level to upper level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jakson View Post
I find this discussion to be one of the most interesting,
Doc

Doc,

I find it interesting too in that it is thought provoking. But as TW continues his quest for the "wormhole" that will take him to the upper level, I keep wondering what it is.

His premise is (as I understand it) "there is a lower level and an upper level and never the twain shall meet". They are separated, not connected and what works in the lower level does not work in the higher one. There are different "processes" perhaps occuring in both levels?

I think that is the premise.

You can't get the answers from the lower level on how to get to the upper level...you have to get the answers from the upper level.

I think I can shed some light.

Most of us have heard of Napoleon Hill and Think And Grow Rich. He spent 20 years interviewing the success of his day. Here is ONE important point that doesn't get discussed.

Not ONE. Not a single name listed in the book. NOT ONE, used the 13 principles in TAGR...they either signed off on some of them, or agreed, or confirmed AFTER THE FACT of their success...but NONE of them used the Napoleon Hill information.

They were at the TOP LEVEL when he interviewed them (otherwise, why bother?).

They took a look and said something like "Oh sure, that's what I did." or "Yes, I agree with your research and premises."

The HUNDREDS of people that Napoleon Hill talked to all had different methods, different approaches, different personalities, and yet he tried his best to SUMMARIZE the common elements. And he came up with the 13 in the book...without a single one of the people he interviewed saying they followed those exact steps.

Think And Grow Rich was a compilation of success. Now, I'm going to sum it all up for you in 7 words. What follows is not only the "wormhole" that TW (and many of us) are seeking...it is also the other side of the sword that explains WHY we aren't at the top level and why TW is right in the premise; you can't take some secret stairway up.

Before you have a knee jerk reaction, give it a few moments to sink in. At least contemplate what you are about to read. Every single one of the successes that Napoleon Hill interviewed would agree (by the fact they reached the top level) and everyone that is at the top level (assuming you don't count inherited wealth {Paris Hilton}) today, will confirm the truth of this.

Here it is. The ELEVATOR to the top level is: Mindset. Mindset that makes focused activity automatic.

In just 7 words you have the answer, the solution and the "wormhole" and every book ever written like Think And Grow Rich and how to get to the top level is in someway, somehow, someONE's methodology of mindset. But it isn't universal or transferrable, you can't use Trump's, you can't borrow Harvey's, you can't instill it or upload it. You either have it or you don't.

And when you have it, you don't need anything else.

Your every waking moment works automatically and you DO the things you MUST do to realize the dream... and the people at the top level may concur, but they can't pass it down to the lower level, because they are indeed separated...at the top, the people have the mindset that put them there...at the bottom level lives the mindset that keeps them there.

It is, indeed, an interesting concept. And those at the lower level may never get it and those at the top don't need to.

The upper level mindset can be worked on, caused by tragedy, history, experience, come on you in a flash, burn slowly within you for decades or never be discovered. Mindset. Mindset that makes focused activity automatic.

And at the lower level, we aren't in the AUTOMATIC MODE, we're still in the stick shift and clutch "changing gears" mode.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. It is like the difference between using GPS to reach your destination or a 25 year old map that wasn't all that accurate to begin with.

Last edited by GordonJ : August 7, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old August 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
-TW

Default Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- New acronym for the right mindset...

Thanks Gordon -- Yes, the right mindset can be part of the answer.

Part of that 'correct' mindset must be the ability to immediately DECIDE/DETERMINE whether an 'opportunity' is from Low-Level Land, or the REAL WORLD "big-time."

Part of that element is the ability to immediately give any Low-Level Land opportunities the DISrespect it deserves.

So, here's the new acronym I came up with...

O-F-D-S

Which stands for "Oh 'F' Dat S**t"

I think adopting that attitude when encountering Low-Level Land 'opportunities' will go a long way at protecting oneself from the TRAP(S) that Low-Level Land 'opportunities' really are.

Analogy: Predatory lenders who are SEEMINGLY trying to help you. For one's financial health, one should RUN, not walk, away from them. In the long run, they are EVIL!

They are WOLVES in sheep's clothing.

Same goes for Low-Level Land opportunities.

When they try to entice you, just say NO! -- or "OFDS!!"

...and continue the quest for opportunities that are (or will/could TRULY LEAD TO) the real world BI TIME.

Cheers!

-- TW
Old August 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
Millard Grubb

Default Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- New acronym for the right mindset...

TW and Gordon,

TW, thanks for starting the thread! Your last post sums up everything nicely!

Gordon,

You elevator to the top with the mindset of focused action being automatic and gearshift analogy hit home with me.

For me it has been realizing what I am truly good at and sticking with that.

HOWEVER, I might have a sticky wicket to through into the mix.

Imagine, if you will, that you were created for a specific purpose... something that your talents and abilities fit right into... something that everything you are fit into precisely....

Then, it's a matter of FINDING what you were made for and doing that.

Cheers,

Millard