SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 20, 2022, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default My case study. Tools.

I have a pretty firm handshake NDA with those I actually write their reports for, and although I follow along, my agreement from my end, is to NOT use them as case studies or anything, after all, they have THEIR name on the product.

And I'm somewhat fanatical about it.

But, I can SHARE you a case study I just started, tell you what I think is going to happen, and then we can watch and see. I do have a few other people sharing their journey, and if it is public, well, we all can see what they are doing, right?

The twin windmills I tilt at the most are SLOP and MESS. I could easily ebay, IF i WANTED to spend all that time, just the process of selling something, let alone hundreds or thousands of somethings, just tires me out.

So, today. At Noon. I decided to write a new report.

Started with the promotion, here:
https://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/sports2022.pdf

That took about half an hour.

Then I wrote the report, took about an hour and an hour researching, although, I did visit a lot of the sites before.

I had it done by 3 and my first sale. Only posted a link here at sowpub.
Got my second sale about an hour ago.

I expect, over the weekend, maybe as many as 20 of you will own TIDAL WAVE, maybe fewer, maybe more. But 20 won't be a surprise.

So, from this first group I will get FEEDBACK. I left it very rough, and did not include samples, which I am in the process of making, and everyone who has the HOTSHEET/MINIREPORT will get all things from here on out, related to the TIDAL WAVE project. I consder you all BETA testers and your feedback has made many of my reports much more valuable over the years, so thanks.

By the end of Aug. I will have a fully fleshed out report, probably in the 35 page range, with several illustrations, pics of my new SPORTS BETTING HOTSHEETS, which I plan to offer to local businesses.

Not everyone in this first batch will respond, some are just curious, others just don't want to, and that is fine. The 8 ro 12 people who give me feedback, will be rewarded, hopefully they think that, when I send them all the additional stuff.

Then, I raise my prices. TIDAL WAVE will go out in Sept./Oct with a 20 dollar price tag, with a 50% off deal for my buyers on the lists.

I will expect to sell about 500 of these by Christmas, and will have an AUTOMATED PRODUCT VENDING site by then, currently, I have to send the report back. But in Sept. They pay via paypal or some other way, and instantly get the product while I'm shoving a jelly donut in my pie hole.

500 is the goal, with an average of 15 dollars or a gross of 7500 minus paypal fees, and should NET over 7k dollars. Now, I put in a hard 3 hours to create it, and FEEDBACK will help shape it, make it better and maybe even make it great.

But if it is my usual average and ordinary report, and gets the avg. result, it will be a pittance of a few thousand dollars for the effort, maybe be able to buy a new TV at Christmas, while vacationing in the Bahamas. Maybe.

Now, all this, if it comes close to expectation, will pay for my launch of my LOCAL SPORTS BETTING HOTSHEETS, which is going to be fun, interesting and hopefully much more profitable. Not because I'm any sort of a wizard, but because the state of OHIO is/has spent millions of dollars getting ready for this.

All I am trying to do is get on the track and let that gravy train run me over. And if you buy this first version, then you will get a step by step case study of what it is, how it is doing and see for yourself, why I prefer information products over all the S & M of other IM.

TIDAL WAVE. We'll see. Just as long as it doesn't end up Lake Mead and I die of thirst.

Gordon

P.S. If you are interested in starting your own case study of information product, or automatic product vending, let me know.

Last edited by GordonJ : September 10, 2022 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Season started.
Old July 21, 2022, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default When esports go mainstream, watch out.

Tyler Ninja Blevins will be like LeBron James in the very near future.

It is still "cultish", the whole gamer industry, as compared to main stream sports betting, but I'll bet you a donut, within five years, Gamers will be doing more commercials than Baker Mayfield.

2023 is the tipping point for esports.

Again, I plan on cashing in, with tools for those millions of miners. I will be covering esports in updated TIDAL WAVE reports.

Got Game? Soon get FAME.

Don't forget to pay mom for those pizza rolls she keeps in the freezer.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : July 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old July 21, 2022, 09:35 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default An awesome "model" to be inspired by!

Hi Gordon,

Thanks, this is a very valuable post! Here's why...

It provides a great "model" for us to follow to create our own info-product businesses...

It's already changed my thinking... and I made quite a few notes, which will change how I do things going forward!

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I have a pretty firm handshake NDA with those I actually write their reports for, and although I follow along, my agreement from my end, is to NOT use them as case studies or anything, after all, they have THEIR name on the product.

But, I can SHARE you a case study I just started, tell you what I think is going to happen, and then we can watch and see. I do have a few other people sharing their journey, and if it is public, well, we all can see what they are doing, right?

The twin windmills I tilt at the most are SLOP and MESS. I could easily ebay, IF i WANTED to spend all that time, just the process of selling something, let alone hundreds or thousands of somethings, just tires me out.

Then I wrote the report, took about an hour and an hour researching, although, I did visit a lot of the sites before.

I expect, over the weekend, maybe as many as 20 of you will own TIDAL WAVE, maybe fewer, maybe more. But 20 won't be a surprise.

So, from this first group I will get FEEDBACK. I left it very rough, and did not include samples, which I am in the process of making, and everyone who has the HOTSHEET/MINIREPORT will get all things from here on out, related to the TIDAL WAVE project. I consder you all BETA testers and your feedback has made many of my reports much more valuable over the years, so thanks.

By the end of Aug. I will have a fully fleshed out report, probably in the 35 page range, with several illustrations, pics of my new SPORTS BETTING HOTSHEETS, which I plan to offer to local businesses.

Not everyone in this first batch will respond, some are just curious, others just don't want to, and that is fine. The 8 ro 12 people who give me feedback, will be rewarded, hopefully they think that, when I send them all the additional stuff.

Then, I raise my prices. TIDAL WAVE will go out in Sept./Oct with a 20 dollar price tag, with a 50% off deal for my buyers on the lists.

I will expect to sell about 500 of these by Christmas, and will have an AUTOMATED PRODUCT VENDING site by then, currently, I have to send the report back. But in Sept. They pay via paypal or some other way, and instantly get the product while I'm shoving a jelly donut in my pie hole.

500 is the goal, with an average of 15 dollars or a gross of 7500 minus paypal fees, and should NET over 7k dollars. Now, I put in a hard 3 hours to create it, and FEEDBACK will help shape it, make it better and maybe even make it great.

But if it is my usual average and ordinary report, and gets the avg. result, it will be a pittance of a few thousand dollars for the effort, maybe be able to buy a new TV at Christmas, while vacationing in the Bahamas. Maybe.

Now, all this, if it comes close to expectation, will pay for my launch of my LOCAL SPORTS BETTING HOTSHEETS, which is going to be fun, interesting and hopefully much more profitable. Not because I'm any sort of a wizard, but because the state of OHIO is/has spent millions of dollars getting ready for this.

All I am trying to do is get on the track and let that gravy train run me over. And if you buy this first version, then you will get a step by step case study of what it is, how it is doing and see for yourself, why I prefer information products over all the S & M of other IM.

TIDAL WAVE. We'll see. Just as long as it doesn't end up Lake Mead and I die of thirst.

Gordon

P.S. If you are interested in starting your own case study of information product, or automatic product vending, let me know.
Old July 22, 2022, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Default Many models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,
Thanks, this is a very valuable post! Here's why...
It provides a great "model" for us to follow to create our own info-product businesses...
It's already changed my thinking... and I made quite a few notes, which will change how I do things going forward!
Best wishes,
Dien

A look at the "models" .

Idea. Action. Product. Market. Marketing.

Product. Action. Marketing.

MARKET, needs/wants, Product. Intersection.

Or...we have an idea for a product, too often falling in love with our own brain child, without a clue whether or not anyone would want it, let alone pay for it.

When I was working for Ben Suarez, at SCI, one of my assignments was to contact people who had submitted products to us for possible marketing.

Of the 150 or so I sorted through, maybe 2 or 3 might be worth testing, and when contacting the owners/submitters, not one deal was struck.

The one we had the most interst in, wanted a million dollars up front. He thought he had a multi million dollar idea and we would gladly give him money, and trust me, he was one of the least delusional folk I spoke with.

Almost to a person, they all LOVED thier idea and thought we would pay them for it, and in explaining how it worked, most felt it was very unfair and tilted too much in our favor. Of course it was, we were putting up all the money to test it. This is, you will find a very common, albeit ignorant, concept inventors and creators have about how the market should work.

Then, there were guys like Bill Burkett, EdenPURE heater marketer, who apparently has been paid millions of dollars for bringing that product and understanding how a small % can add up, considering it has over a Billion dollar in sales, Bill did pretty well for hisself, eh?

Some start with the idea, and take several years to perfect, we've had them here...and after all that time, trouble and work, they couldn't even give it away.

A lot of app developers are like this.

If you just like to create, tinker, play around, all this is fine. IF you are interested in maybe making some money, here is the best model to follow...and feel free to dispute and show me I'm wrong.

DEMAND. That is the starting point, one that took me many years to get around to understanding and IMPLEMENTING. Maybe, maybe a few get lucky and can create or drum up demand...but the best model, the one with the least slop and mess, with the highest chance of success is...

Find a hungry crowd and feed it. As said by thousands of marketers, Gary Halbert being the first one I knew about.

Or DEMAND. The only reason I am excited about ONLINE SPORTS BETTING, isn't because I like it, or love it, I'm too tight with my pennies to ever give one to a bookie, but as a marketer of information...

And a 61 BILLION DOLLAR established industry projected to double in a few years...I can clearly see the demand.
Yes creative people like to create, and for some it is art. But when talking dollars in the bank, make sure there is a market for your creations.

So, with my little Hotsheet/minirport, and a small intersection here, I have gotten some good feedback, most people said it was NOT on their radar, they don't know anything about it, which my little hotsheet is intended to do, open their eyes.

Not to gamble, or place bets. But if they so choose, they can make some money in the coming months from offering little hotsheets, small reports and maybe even follow this model to do it. Something. Feedback. Addition. Feedback. MORE, tuned and tilted toward them.

And WHAM, an information product or possible recurring income stream just as newsletters have done for Dien Rice.

Most of us, seldom or rarely think about the models to choose from.

For me. Least slop and mess. Lightest work loads. Fast profits, with exponential growth.

What models will work for you all ?

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : July 22, 2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old July 22, 2022, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Default The NFL season begins, training camps

So VEGAS is getting revved up, like Meatloaf, and ready to go.

Training camp for the NFL. Will your star running back show up 40 pounds over his playing weight?

Will your multi million dollar quarterback stay healthy and break a finger on his throwing hand? All eyes on the next few weeks, to size up the teams, and for the bookies, to start getting their ducks in a row.

And when I say ducks, I mean sitting ducks, sittiting in the pond waiting for bread crumbs tossed their way, and being picked off by the millions.

Training camp is when the Fantasy League players are looking over their teams, seeing who might have a break out year, who is going to tank.

As I continue to deep dive into this multi BILLION dollar industry, I am keenly aware of what types of INFORMATION these sports gamblers want.

Everyday, I write maybe 5 to 10 new ideas. I like to throw a lot of stuff at the wall, to see what sticks.

I sometimes get ideas, and then after a few days, when I put the old slop and mess meter up to it, I see it is a much bigger bite than I can chew.

With a market so huge, and growing like wildfire, it is easy to get overly excited, I have to watch myself...and put a governor on some of the ideas.

I too, have to remind myself, to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

No slop and mess. Easily executed, and most of all PROFITABLE.

My only stress is the waking up one day and finding out that NO ONE needs any new information...like the good ol boys in AMERICAN PIE, who drove their Chevy to the Levy...that will be the day that I die.

Until then, INFORMATION, my dear old friend, and the market of Sports.

A match made in Vegas.

Gordon
Old July 28, 2022, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Templates and gurus.

Just as an example, The cult of copy has 35k members, many of which have the Viking VElaciptor writing guide. So, they follow that and try to make their work fit into someone's TEMPLATE.

And this is across the board, pick a group, a guru, and that is in fact what they sell, the SHORTCUTS on how to do it.

Here's my very cynical interpretation.

Oh, you can't think on your own? Don't worry, you don't need a brain, just follow these 7 steps and you don't have to sweat about being creative.

It is 6cent Koolaid sold for five dollars to the thirsty, who are sitting next to a fresh bucket of purified water for free.

Just my take.

Gordon

Quote:

Gordon

Old July 29, 2022, 03:24 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Start this business, all you have to do is click a button...

Hi Gordon,

I have to agree with you... I was never attracted to the "template" approach... But...

It's apparently wildly popular! So it makes sense to sell it...

It's part of the "done for you" trend...

People want things that are "done for them"...

And, the seller can charge a lot more for it, too...

I won't say who, but there's a prominent online seller (very successful), who sells marketing-related stuff...

What he's been selling the last few years is primarily a "done for you" solution to business...

From his email promos and videos, it looks like he promises to...

- provide the product that you sell
- build your email list of prospects for you
- write your email ads

It seems pretty much all you have to do is click a button to send the already-written-for-you email to the already-built-for-you email list!

In the end, the deal costs around $2,000...

People buy because it's a "done for you" solution... All they have to do is click a button, and they have a business! (That's the promise...)

However, he doesn't promise to do this for you forever. He and his team might do it for you for a month or two or so. After that, you're on your own...

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "continuity fee" if you want him and his team to keep doing this for you further into the future...)

It's not for me... I guess I like learning how to do it, so I gain the skills...

Unlike money and things, nobody can ever take your skills away from you...

Best wishes!

Dien

Quote:
Just as an example, The cult of copy has 35k members, many of which have the Viking VElaciptor writing guide. So, they follow that and try to make their work fit into someone's TEMPLATE.

And this is across the board, pick a group, a guru, and that is in fact what they sell, the SHORTCUTS on how to do it.

Here's my very cynical interpretation.

Oh, you can't think on your own? Don't worry, you don't need a brain, just follow these 7 steps and you don't have to sweat about being creative.

It is 6cent Koolaid sold for five dollars to the thirsty, who are sitting next to a fresh bucket of purified water for free.

Just my take.

Gordon
Old July 31, 2022, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default I address this in my interview when I offer a DFY...

Since I have very recently offered a done for you program (information product, promotion, even an AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING site)...I have to say, I reject about 8 out of 10.

Sure, I can do it for you, out of the gate. To get you started. THEN WHAT?

And this is where I have to leave most behind. Because they don't know what they want, and lack a plan of action, the whole done for you idea only gets the rock rolling...but if it is up a hill, one can expect Sisyphus results.

I don't know who you are referring to, but I guarantee, in the end of the day, he/she is making more from doing it for you, than you are making.

DFY, is a leverage, but the long game needs continuous activity, and some of that just can't be done by anyone but you.

Gordon

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

I have to agree with you... I was never attracted to the "template" approach... But...

It's apparently wildly popular! So it makes sense to sell it...

It's part of the "done for you" trend...

People want things that are "done for them"...

And, the seller can charge a lot more for it, too...

I won't say who, but there's a prominent online seller (very successful), who sells marketing-related stuff...

What he's been selling the last few years is primarily a "done for you" solution to business...

From his email promos and videos, it looks like he promises to...

- provide the product that you sell
- build your email list of prospects for you
- write your email ads

It seems pretty much all you have to do is click a button to send the already-written-for-you email to the already-built-for-you email list!

In the end, the deal costs around $2,000...

People buy because it's a "done for you" solution... All they have to do is click a button, and they have a business! (That's the promise...)

However, he doesn't promise to do this for you forever. He and his team might do it for you for a month or two or so. After that, you're on your own...

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "continuity fee" if you want him and his team to keep doing this for you further into the future...)

It's not for me... I guess I like learning how to do it, so I gain the skills...

Unlike money and things, nobody can ever take your skills away from you...

Best wishes!

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 2, 2022 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
Old August 2, 2022, 08:04 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The difference is an enduring "asset"...

Hi Gordon,

I think one big difference is, when they have a report ("done for them"), they have an asset they can sell for years to come, even for decades...

With this other marketer I'm referring to - I guess one asset his customers will have is the "created for you" email list.

But, if I remember right, that done-for-you email list was only going to have I think 50 people on it... It wasn't going to be very large...

An email lists also get "stale" after a while... People's email addresses change, or their interests change...

(Oh, and when I said he would "provide the product that you sell" - I meant that his customers would be selling the product as an affiliate... they wouldn't own the product themselves...)

However, having said that, I sent out an email a few weeks ago, and I made some sales. I went through some of the sales out of curiosity... I saw one guy had subscribed to my email list on 30 June, 2008 (I just looked it up now again to confirm)...

...and this was his first purchase! Wow... That's quite a while... a 14-year gap between subscribing and buying!

Maybe that's an indictment of me as a marketer! Though I'm also pleased that he was apparently happy to stay on my email list for 14 years... and keep reading!

(I do my best to try to keep things fascinating - and also useful - for the reader... )

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Since I have very recently offered a done for you program (information product, promotion, even an AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING site)...I have to say, I reject about 8 out of 10.

Sure, I can do it for you, out of the gate. To get you started. THEN WHAT?

And this is where I have to leave most behind. Because they don't know what they want, and lack a plan of action, the whole done for you idea only gets the rock rolling...but if it is up a hill, one can expect Sisyphus results.

I don't know who you are referring to, but I guarantee, in the end of the day, he/she is making more from doing it for you, than you are making.

DFY, is a leverage, but the long game needs continuous activity, and some of that just can't be done by anyone but you.

Gordon

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 2, 2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 2, 2022, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default The fact is...

Dien, Just the fact you've had an email list and have been mailing them for that long, puts you head and shoulders above many out there.

I think you have some great STORED VALUE, on the whole how to front, you can bring to the market, and you have some bought/hidden assets to make that a relatively quick and easy thing to do.

Maybe now that he has become a customer, his wallet will open up and a deluge will follow...just don't bank on it, ok?

Gordon

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

I think one big difference is, when they have a report ("done for them"), they have an asset they can sell for years to come, even for decades...

With this other marketer I'm referring to - I guess one asset his customers will have is the "created for you" email list.

But, if I remember right, that done-for-you email list was only going to have I think 50 people on it... It wasn't going to be very large...

An email lists also get "stale" after a while... People's email addresses change, or their interests change...

(Oh, and when I said he would "provide the product that you sell" - I meant that his customers would be selling the product as an affiliate... they wouldn't own the product themselves...)

However, having said that, I sent out an email a few weeks ago, and I made some sales. I went through some of the sales out of curiosity... I saw one guy had subscribed to my email list on 30 June, 2008 (I just looked it up now again to confirm)...

...and this was his first purchase! Wow... That's quite a while... a 14-year gap between subscribing and buying!

Maybe that's an indictment of me as a marketer! Though I'm also pleased that he was apparently happy to stay on my email list for 14 years... and keep reading!

(I do my best to try to keep things fascinating - and also useful - for the reader... )

Best wishes,

Dien