SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 7, 2020, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Different is different, here is what most marketers don't get.

"THEY" are crawling out of the woodwork, check your inbox and spam folders, or visit Facebook groups. They are the leaders of groups, marketers, and many an OLD soul who is going to help get

YOU

Through the coming recession...BECAUSE

THEY got through the last one.

But here is what is wrong with their advice, all of them...and feel free to challenge me if you want...

THIS is D I F F E R E N T... not even close.

The guru idea that things will snap back to "normal" once the cure, vaccine or right drug combination kicks in and we are over the Covid-19 crisis...

is going to leave many people scratching their heads as they wait in the soup kitchen line.

TODAY, I had 5 new emails from people I have never heard of telling me how they survived the economic crash and came out of that even better off, and how I can DO THE SAME THING,

IF

I follow their advice and buy their reports (most of which are ancient history and couldn't work today no matter what, unless they have a time travel machine)...

So much Bull Shoot, Crapola, and downright desperation and those who would crawl out from under their rocks to take advantage of the anxiety we all are feeling.

I think there won't be a NORMAL, and if there is, that means we have a divisive citizenry pointing fingers, throwing rocks at each other, calling the other side names...and soon, violence.

This is different, whether you believe it or don't.

Gordon

PS And if I am right, then DIFFERENT actions need to be taken, not the same old same old tricks of the old guys who survived the banking scandals. Or the oil crisis, or the war (pick one). YOU need to be different in your thinking and in your actions.

Are you?
Old April 8, 2020, 02:45 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I'm all ears for predictions...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
"THEY" are crawling out of the woodwork, check your inbox and spam folders, or visit Facebook groups. They are the leaders of groups, marketers, and many an OLD soul who is going to help get

YOU

Through the coming recession...BECAUSE

THEY got through the last one.

But here is what is wrong with their advice, all of them...and feel free to challenge me if you want...

THIS is D I F F E R E N T... not even close.

The guru idea that things will snap back to "normal" once the cure, vaccine or right drug combination kicks in and we are over the Covid-19 crisis...

is going to leave many people scratching their heads as they wait in the soup kitchen line.

TODAY, I had 5 new emails from people I have never heard of telling me how they survived the economic crash and came out of that even better off, and how I can DO THE SAME THING,

IF

I follow their advice and buy their reports (most of which are ancient history and couldn't work today no matter what, unless they have a time travel machine)...

So much Bull Shoot, Crapola, and downright desperation and those who would crawl out from under their rocks to take advantage of the anxiety we all are feeling.

I think there won't be a NORMAL, and if there is, that means we have a divisive citizenry pointing fingers, throwing rocks at each other, calling the other side names...and soon, violence.

This is different, whether you believe it or don't.

Gordon

PS And if I am right, then DIFFERENT actions need to be taken, not the same old same old tricks of the old guys who survived the banking scandals. Or the oil crisis, or the war (pick one). YOU need to be different in your thinking and in your actions.

Are you?
Hi Gordon,

I'm a positive person by nature...

But frankly, I was scared shirtless... (I'm keeping it family friendly... )

I'm a bit more calmed down, now...

Yes, there is tragedy.

I'm staying as safe as possible... I'm "high risk" due to pre-existing conditions (as you know, Gordon)... So I'm not taking that chance...

Yes, I do wear a mask when I venture out. Yes, I feel silly... But, better redfaced (and embarrassed) than dead...

There are quite a few "snake oil salesmen" out there, taking advantage.

But if you have genuine solutions - I see no problem with promoting them...

Also, many people are indoors and bored. Many want to use the time to improve themselves.

Wanna bet that the Masterclass business (where you learn from famous people) is doing gangbuster business right now?

I'm betting that they're making more sales than they ever have in their history...

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, or next week, month, or even next year...

I don't think this will be over quickly.

But, I take it day by day...

I'm all ears for predictions, though! One of the things many people want to know are answers...

Nobody knows 100% for sure, but some will be more right than others... I'm happy to listen to many voices!

- Dien
Old April 8, 2020, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default Predictions.

I've blown through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO, even caught up on the Bros of Simi Valley. All that entertainment...but I do at least one MasterClass a day and take notes. Excited about Neil deGrasse Tyson's class.

He'll be discussing BIAS, something we all have. Knowing a person's predisposition toward something helps with marketing.

To develop rapport, get agreement and then sell them stuff.

I keep Blair Warren's ONE SENTENCE Persuasion idea on me at all times (it is page 8 of the GJABIZ Pocket Pro on DIRECT PERSUASION. His sentence reads:

"People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams,
justify their failures,
allay their fears,
confirm their suspicions,
and help them throw rocks at their enemies."

And when you know and understand their BIASES, it makes it that much easier to persuade them.

As for marketing and marketers...I am of the CAVEAT EMPTOR crowd. If selling to adults, they can buy whatever they want. If someone wants to spend their money on what they want, who am I to try to stop them (unless it will do harm to them{as is self prescribing malaria meds for Covid19, but even then, them that died had the right to do what they wanted} )

I am not qualified to say which marketer is selling crapola and who isn't, other than to state my opinion in general...but still, it is their money, let them spend it how they want. Eh?

As for predictions, I have a lot of them, and many have come from Thomas' Newsletter the INNOVATION WRAP, I think we have many great innovations headed our way, especially in medicine. That being said, technology will help save us, and it may kill us all. That is a coin toss in my crystal ball.

I'm hoping for a quick ending to Covid-19, due to some unknown researcher who isn't interested in becoming a billionaire, and is actually working on a vaccine which would stop it dead in its tracks. Hoping for, but not waiting for.

I think most people got off to a bad start, and some of that from following the leaders, who tamped it down, and were ignorant (by not listening to those experts in the know) and got us behind the 8 ball.

But were here today. And we've all had a chance to "catch up", to protect ourselves, to hunker and bunker down.

On the other side, be it in a couple of months or a year from now, there will be a different world, a different USA waiting for us.

We are seeing how FRAGILE we are, how unprepared, and there will be consequences to this.

I do predict a TREMENDOUS growth in Victory Gardens, home gardens, micro green gardens, more people planting food and there is a lot of opportunity there. We all have to eat. Another month, and the shelves get really bare and Covid-19 kicks us in our collective guts.

Along with FOOD, a lot of opportunity in the SUPPLY CHAIN, from packaging, shipping, handling, delivery...getting what people want from THERE to THEIR HOMES. Maybe more robots and drones, pick up centers, etc.

But these are on the POSITIVE side of things, assumes we have maintained our RIGHTS, and that industry hasn't been Nationalized, that Uncle Sam keeps his hands off private business. THIS is problematic.

So, those are a few predictions. Here is the BIG ONE.

I predict that those who THINK and PREPARE for their futures while taking care of their today, may find an even better tomorrow on the other side.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

I'm a positive person by nature...

But frankly, I was scared shirtless... (I'm keeping it family friendly... )

I'm a bit more calmed down, now...

Yes, there is tragedy.

I'm staying as safe as possible... I'm "high risk" due to pre-existing conditions (as you know, Gordon)... So I'm not taking that chance...

Yes, I do wear a mask when I venture out. Yes, I feel silly... But, better redfaced (and embarrassed) than dead...

There are quite a few "snake oil salesmen" out there, taking advantage.

But if you have genuine solutions - I see no problem with promoting them...

Also, many people are indoors and bored. Many want to use the time to improve themselves.

Wanna bet that the Masterclass business (where you learn from famous people) is doing gangbuster business right now?

I'm betting that they're making more sales than they ever have in their history...

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, or next week, month, or even next year...

I don't think this will be over quickly.

But, I take it day by day...

I'm all ears for predictions, though! One of the things many people want to know are answers...

Nobody knows 100% for sure, but some will be more right than others... I'm happy to listen to many voices!

- Dien

Last edited by GordonJ : April 8, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old April 9, 2020, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default April 22, the revolt begins. Then on May 5, it explodes.

We will have reached our stretching point on May 22. If the weather turns nicer in the North, from then until May 5, things are going to heat up, emotionally.

Instead of May flowers, we may have MAYDAY-MAYDAY, all hands on deck.

Historically this time, April/May is the time of revolution, often corresponding with the warmer weather, when people get out and about.

There is a pent up cabin fever which will explode with a few nice days, and people will take to the streets again, maybe in full hazmat attire or simply with an "I don't care" attitude.

Trillions of dollars, but no one has gotten anything YET. The month to month business, the momma and poppa may never recover, and the unemployed, who will struggle with whatever relief help they get...are going to be mad as hell and yelling out their windows, they aren't taking it anymore.

I predict a return to the streets by the end of May, with millions getting and recovering from Covid-19, and thousands of the weak and unhealthy dying...and those people MUST be proactive and protect themselves, because neither the Gov't nor society in general really cares if you die.

Gordon
Old April 10, 2020, 09:30 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Preparing for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Historically this time, April/May is the time of revolution, often corresponding with the warmer weather, when people get out and about.

There is a pent up cabin fever which will explode with a few nice days, and people will take to the streets again, maybe in full hazmat attire or simply with an "I don't care" attitude.

Trillions of dollars, but no one has gotten anything YET. The month to month business, the momma and poppa may never recover, and the unemployed, who will struggle with whatever relief help they get...are going to be mad as hell and yelling out their windows, they aren't taking it anymore.

I predict a return to the streets by the end of May, with millions getting and recovering from Covid-19, and thousands of the weak and unhealthy dying...and those people MUST be proactive and protect themselves, because neither the Gov't nor society in general really cares if you die.
Hi Gordon,

It's a bleak picture... I hope you're wrong... but...

Be prepared.

(I was a boy scout once!)

Let's say this is a possibility...

What should we do?

Apart from preparing for it ourselves...

Maybe the way to go is to "sell shovels to gold miners"...

And help others prepare too...

I have to wrap my head around this more...

- Dien
Old April 10, 2020, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Isolation BIAS, where you are determines what you should do.

Dien,

Look out your window (but don't open it), it is a BLEAK world right now.

The possibility of my scenario, and how to prepare, comes mostly from what I might call Neighborhood BIAS.

Suburban dwellers will react differently from inner city, crowded living conditions persons. Take your water supply, where is it? Who controls it?

We in Cuyahoga Falls, are lucky to have our famous " wells", and a top rated water source and delivery system. In the last few years, many infrastructure updates have been made.

Down the road, in Akron, their water supply consists of 3 reservoirs, and many more miles of corroding infrastructure. All the "lakes" of their system are publicly accessible. Our wells are not.

Why mention this water issue? Well, check your town, city or village. Is water use up? Probably pretty hard to get answers. I know, because so many people I know work for the city.

Electric and water use are way UP, for homes, however this has been balanced out due to all the closings, especially schools and stores.

When the heat kicks in, and air conditioners go full steam, those who don't have them tend to be outdoors.

As of today, no one is worried about water, electric or any of our public utilities, but I've been through enough hurricanes and natural disasters to know these can QUICKLY become a huge problem, when they get impacted.

I see a much BIGGER PICTURE, and Covid 19 is only a part of that pic, the tiny ripple effects of today, may become a tidal wave of bleak activity tomorrow.

Most people (especially those under 50) don't remember the riots of 67-68 when cities burned, when gangs ran the streets. Those didn't involve food, or water or select heath care.

So, how do you prepare?

Start with an assessment. Make a checklist, know your area, where does your water come from? What happens if it gets shut off, then what will you do? Same for power? What do you do if the electric goes off for an extended time?

Start with living essentials, do you have several days of food, water, clothing. In the event of an evacuation, where will you go? How will you get there?

The California wildfires showed us that even rich people can't stop a fire from taking their homes.

PREPARATION is thinking through different possibilities, from mild to bleak and even worse. The American Preppers, as I have long noted, have their Bullets and Butter stored and protected.

That is the selfish thing, which has merit to some extent, you can't help anyone if you can't take care of yourself...

but consider your neighborhood, who is going to need help, who might help you, make your neighbors friends, and prepare to look out for each other...which is one reason why a food CO-OP might be a good thing to look into and get started now.

If the worse scenario doesn't happen, then the only effect on the Prepared person is they may not have to go shopping for awhile.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

It's a bleak picture... I hope you're wrong... but...

Be prepared.

(I was a boy scout once!)

Let's say this is a possibility...

What should we do?

Apart from preparing for it ourselves...

Maybe the way to go is to "sell shovels to gold miners"...

And help others prepare too...

I have to wrap my head around this more...

- Dien
Old April 14, 2020, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default A week before the revolution begins.

Storms in the South, tornadoes, high wind, power outages. To add insult to injury I guess, Mother Nature is relentless.

POTUS thinks he has TOTAL authority. Governors don't think so. The table is being set for the showdown.

Long range weather forecasts show cooler climes in the North, so the 22nd may be more like May 2, but not far away.

CA, OR, WA have created a "pact", to lift travel restrictions and to jump start their economies, which are suffering greatly. This week will bring political storms too.

With no light at the end of the tunnel, no cure in sight, and with a pent up want to get out there...we may be in the eye (the calm) of the storm. This one. The next one is being created somewhere by either butterflies or bats flapping their wings.

Gordon