SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 17, 2018, 06:39 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Using the Harvey Brody toll position method to profit from fiction "properties"...

In the past, we've discussed getting toll positions in "abandoned" IP... Such as out-of-print books, for example...

Here's another example...

Adaptive Books recently acquired the complete literary estate of Zane Grey. For those who don't know, Zane Grey wrote many Western novels. Dozens of his books were made into movies, especially up until the 1950s...

Adaptive will be republishing the books - but also creating new adaptions! (Such as TV shows and movies.)

When you read about them, this is their whole model. Finding and acquiring the intellectual property to abandoned movie scripts, literary properties, and so on. They then republish these works, sometimes in new forms.

It works because you can acquire abandoned literary properties for pennies on the dollar... Or even for free! (See "How to Acquire a Toll Position in 7 Easy Steps" below.)

It's fascinating to read about the Harvey Brody toll-position approach, applied in a new way, to works of fiction...

Adaptive Books Acquires New Titles Plus the Zane Grey Estate
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ey-estate.html

How Adaptive Studios Is Hacking “Development Hell” By Buying Abandoned Screenplays
https://www.fastcompany.com/3061693/...ned-screenplay

If you want a refresher course, there are of course a lot of posts on this in the Sowpub archives... Here are a couple...!

How to Acquire a Toll Position in 7 Easy Steps (Live Case Study)
https://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35588

Help on how to recognize a valuable "toll position"
https://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9260

Any questions? (Or if not, fine too... )

Best wishes!

Dien
Old September 17, 2018, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Using the Harvey Brody toll position method to profit from fiction "properties"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
In the past, we've discussed getting toll positions in "abandoned" IP... Such as out-of-print books, for example...

Here's another example...

Adaptive Books recently acquired the complete literary estate of Zane Grey. For those who don't know, Zane Grey wrote many Western novels. Dozens of his books were made into movies, especially up until the 1950s...

Adaptive will be republishing the books - but also creating new adaptions! (Such as TV shows and movies.)

When you read about them, this is their whole model. Finding and acquiring the intellectual property to abandoned movie scripts, literary properties, and so on. They then republish these works, sometimes in new forms.

It works because you can acquire abandoned literary properties for pennies on the dollar... Or even for free! (See "How to Acquire a Toll Position in 7 Easy Steps" below.)

It's fascinating to read about the Harvey Brody toll-position approach, applied in a new way, to works of fiction...

Adaptive Books Acquires New Titles Plus the Zane Grey Estate
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ey-estate.html

How Adaptive Studios Is Hacking “Development Hell” By Buying Abandoned Screenplays
https://www.fastcompany.com/3061693/...ned-screenplay

If you want a refresher course, there are of course a lot of posts on this in the Sowpub archives... Here are a couple...!

How to Acquire a Toll Position in 7 Easy Steps (Live Case Study)
https://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35588

Help on how to recognize a valuable "toll position"
https://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9260

Any questions? (Or if not, fine too... )

Best wishes!

Dien

Even if it is only you and I Dien, let's rekindle some TOLL position discussion.

For YOU Dien, a link...
http://www.1964web.com/Home

This Beatles tribute band was formed by one of my late classmates, Gary Grimes. They performed at our 50th Class Reunion this past Saturday night.

Take note of their booking schedule, one of the busiest bands out there, and one which Rolling Stone called the best tribute band of all.

What does this have to do with TOLL positioning? Well, they pert near OWN the market when it comes to Beatles performing bands.

But, let's talk TOLLS. Again, and we update things too.

I had a great weekend, and I've scheduled several interviews with classmates, the MILLIONAIRES in the class, to uncover some of their wisdom and advice.

I talked to a guy who just retired from the family business which he and his brothers and sister built into one of the largest cleaning supplies companies in the Great Lakes Region. Hard to use a urinal around here without seeing their little urinal cakes with their names on them down there.

The younger brother went to college and became a chemist, and today, they OWN several proprietary cleaning products which they PRIVATE LABEL to other companies. A true TOLL position. One which follows the Harvey Brody model, in fact a page from his book on Chemical Formulas.

Still, TODAY, fortunes being made by those who control the formulas of certain products.

Over the next few weeks, I will talk to several classmates, one guy lives on 100 acres in Central Ohio, has made many millions from his inventions. I look forward to that chat.

Now as for RE VITALIZING old stuff. Such an opportunity.

There are many different type of TOLL positions, and I hope you are up to sharing some with the group. I know we both have projects with TOLLS, which we can't discuss.

But this is a subject which needs to be looked at under the lights of 2018 business, eh?

So, thank you Dien for bringing this to our attention, and if one can read between the lines, the articles you linked to our priceless.

I don't think the books that Ryan revived are still up or if his Reversion idea is still around, maybe he'll let us know.

Gordon
Old September 17, 2018, 01:34 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Different toll positions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Even if it is only you and I Dien, let's rekindle some TOLL position discussion.

For YOU Dien, a link...
http://www.1964web.com/Home

This Beatles tribute band was formed by one of my late classmates, Gary Grimes. They performed at our 50th Class Reunion this past Saturday night.

Take note of their booking schedule, one of the busiest bands out there, and one which Rolling Stone called the best tribute band of all.

What does this have to do with TOLL positioning? Well, they pert near OWN the market when it comes to Beatles performing bands.

But, let's talk TOLLS. Again, and we update things too.

I had a great weekend, and I've scheduled several interviews with classmates, the MILLIONAIRES in the class, to uncover some of their wisdom and advice.

I talked to a guy who just retired from the family business which he and his brothers and sister built into one of the largest cleaning supplies companies in the Great Lakes Region. Hard to use a urinal around here without seeing their little urinal cakes with their names on them down there.

The younger brother went to college and became a chemist, and today, they OWN several proprietary cleaning products which they PRIVATE LABEL to other companies. A true TOLL position. One which follows the Harvey Brody model, in fact a page from his book on Chemical Formulas.

Still, TODAY, fortunes being made by those who control the formulas of certain products.

Over the next few weeks, I will talk to several classmates, one guy lives on 100 acres in Central Ohio, has made many millions from his inventions. I look forward to that chat.

Now as for RE VITALIZING old stuff. Such an opportunity.

There are many different type of TOLL positions, and I hope you are up to sharing some with the group. I know we both have projects with TOLLS, which we can't discuss.

But this is a subject which needs to be looked at under the lights of 2018 business, eh?

So, thank you Dien for bringing this to our attention, and if one can read between the lines, the articles you linked to our priceless.

I don't think the books that Ryan revived are still up or if his Reversion idea is still around, maybe he'll let us know.

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for linking to your late classmate's Beatles tribute band! I have heard that some tribute bands can make a mint... Bjorn Again, an ABBA tribute band, I think have maybe 3 bands touring the world at any one time... (It was so profitable, they cloned it!)

One thing with toll positions that is often not talked about is that it helps to have marketing skills. You could have the toll position to a great product, but you still need to be able to market it for people to know about it!

So, knowing some marketing skills never hurts...

Gordon, I'm looking forward to hearing more lessons from the success stories of your old classmates!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 17, 2018, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Here is one BIG lesson from the Class of 68 success stories.

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for linking to your late classmate's Beatles tribute band! I have heard that some tribute bands can make a mint... Bjorn Again, an ABBA tribute band, I think have maybe 3 bands touring the world at any one time... (It was so profitable, they cloned it!)

One thing with toll positions that is often not talked about is that it helps to have marketing skills. You could have the toll position to a great product, but you still need to be able to market it for people to know about it!

So, knowing some marketing skills never hurts...

Gordon, I'm looking forward to hearing more lessons from the success stories of your old classmates!

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

To a person, they ALL have Real Estate investments. Most who had rental properties, to people, have gone out of that business, and favor leasing RE to Businesses. It was the ONE common denominator, no matter how they made their money, they all went "safely" into RE. Land and especially box type warehouse spaces, which can be easily reconfigured to suit many businesses.

Services to products, to inventions...and then into Real Estate. And I took note, most do not have retail stores...but a big box? A sure thing.

Gordon
Old September 18, 2018, 09:44 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Surprise (to me) about commercial property...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Dien,

To a person, they ALL have Real Estate investments. Most who had rental properties, to people, have gone out of that business, and favor leasing RE to Businesses. It was the ONE common denominator, no matter how they made their money, they all went "safely" into RE. Land and especially box type warehouse spaces, which can be easily reconfigured to suit many businesses.

Services to products, to inventions...and then into Real Estate. And I took note, most do not have retail stores...but a big box? A sure thing.
Hi Gordon,

Thanks, that's fascinating!

I know many people consider buying real estate to be a better alternative to putting in the bank. Instead, buy land and lease it out, and (if you buy smart) you should do much better than keeping your money in the bank...

Of course, not everyone buys land with their excess cash. Some people buy other investments, such as expensive watches, antiques, gold, or stocks...

I didn't know that many people prefer commercial property, though! To my understanding, at least here in Australia, with office property you could have longer periods when it's empty... But when a business leases it, they're more likely to stay long term too. (At least that's what I've heard!)

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 20, 2018, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default A very small sample for a very homogeneous group.

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Thanks, that's fascinating!

I know many people consider buying real estate to be a better alternative to putting in the bank. Instead, buy land and lease it out, and (if you buy smart) you should do much better than keeping your money in the bank...

Of course, not everyone buys land with their excess cash. Some people buy other investments, such as expensive watches, antiques, gold, or stocks...

I didn't know that many people prefer commercial property, though! To my understanding, at least here in Australia, with office property you could have longer periods when it's empty... But when a business leases it, they're more likely to stay long term too. (At least that's what I've heard!)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien, my classmates were all raised with very similar beliefs and ideas. So, this represents only their limited view opinion...OK?...however...

I did some boots on the ground follow up. Within a 5 mile radius of Downtown Cuyahoga Falls I found.

Dozens of storefronts available, some have been empty for over a year.
Scores of apartment vacancies, and many for sale. Why?
Tons of small commercial rentals out there.

BUT, when I went into the Industrial Parks, every single BIG BOX warehouse type of building was occupied, many with the same lessee from a decade ago. Some, maybe many, were company owned. But for all the ones I knew to be leased, not a single vacancy found.

Your area may differ. What I was told about the BIG Box buildings, was, they can be quickly reconfigured for whatever use is needed, from mfgr to wholesale storage.

So, look for a Best Buy about to go out of biz, maybe get an option on first rights to buy, or long term lease. You won't go begging for businesses to occupy THAT space (as long as you stay away from Retail).

Gordon