SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 3, 2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default 367,000 miles on a Chevy Blazer...a made in USA car...

A story will soon appear in the Akron Beacon Journal, and when it does, I'll post a link to it. It is a story about OLD cars...not the collector's...like the 67 442 or 64 Corvette...

but OLD cars...

like Bill's Chevy Blazer with 367,000 miles on it. ORIGINAL engine, minor work done on it. Not the prettiest car in the parking lot...but it gets Bill back and forth to work and has for a decade...

Imagine if he were paying that 300 bux a month for a car payment or a lease...why, that's probably $40,000.00 out of his pocket he's saved over the years.

Anyhow, not every American made product is going to be replace by Chinese cheap labor..

in fact, with some help, from people like a Harvey Brody...the future for many American manufacturers is bright...if they can listen and act.

367,000 miles on a Chevy Blazer...and mine only had 175,000 (the red one, for those who saw it) on it when I felt the need to part ways (Actually the engine and drive train were fine...I did'nt care for seeing the pavement beneath my feet as I was driving down the road...YIKES

gja Rooting for the American Manufacturers to step to the plate and give us something to cheer about.
Old October 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
Pete Egeler

Default Re: 367,000 miles on a Chevy Blazer...a made in USA car...

Maybe I can catch up to him with my '91 S10!

I've got approx.237,000 on it now. But, since I retired in May, I don't put that daily 108 miles on I used to. More like 25-50 a week. (If I go to town twice.

Pete
Old October 4, 2007, 02:25 AM
Cornell

Default In its 21st year..

With great dismay and the sadness of the kids in the neighborhood, I parked my Chevy van this year after just over 20 years of use with a mileage of 232,464 miles....same drive train (305).

If I invested about $4000 in a body job it would still be percolating down the road...and the neighborhood kids would still be coming around pleading to get a ride around the block in it. I really don't know what the thrill for them was, but I guess maybe they felt the nastalgia of good old North American vehicles gone by the wayside too...of course the way it was decked out may have had something to do with it.

I got broadsided in it in 2005 by a fellow that ran a stop sign....his foreign car lost the front ent with fenders and motor lying on the street...Chevy van suffered 2 small dents right below the side doors and a minor gouge in front of the rear wheel well....If I had been driving a minivan I probably would not be keying this in today....they don't make 'em like they used to!

I haven't totally put it to pasture yet....have it parked in the driveway and still contemplating on putting the money into it.

Oh yes...I looked at the new vans and later model vans, then decided to go with a big old great condition '92 Dodge one ton with a trusty 318...just like driving a Sherman tank down the road )

And seeing as how you mentioned China....I grumble and curse everytime I go to the grocery store for canned mushrooms. We have numerous mushroom farms here and yet you can't find one can marked product of Canada...just product of China...irks me to no end....end of grumbling....before I get into a real tirage about imports and job loss, etc..

Cornell
Old October 4, 2007, 06:48 PM
Gregg

I've got a 1995 Jeep Cherokee with 380,000 that was a daily driver until the engine blew between last Xmas & New Years. And I also have a 1990 Mustang with about 227,000. Both of which I bought new.

I was driving on the highway and watched the odometer turn 380K on the Jeep. I wondered how long it would take me to get to 400K. About a mile later the engine went. Couln't have planned it better, not even on TV.

The Mustang was also a daily driver but it is now my "someday" project car. Every once in awhile I'll take down the road just for fun. Of course my 17yr old son is eyeing it up.

-Gregg
Old October 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
Phil

Default 930,000 (Mostly Highway) miles... :)

Honda's have Always been Great vehicles holding their Value exceptionally well...

This one's a little too Far for me to checkout and ship...

If you happen to be around Atlanta check it out if it's still available...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/408063146.html

Phil

Last edited by Phil : October 6, 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Old October 7, 2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default OH, the great ideas all around us Phil...

2300 bux.

Buy it. Gingerly get it to a MILLION miles...put it on display at HONDA dealers all over the country...don't you think HONDA would pay a decent sum to have this RUNS FOREVER car on display? OH, who wants a car to last for ever...but the point is the reliabiltiy.

I owned my first HONDA in 1977. Sort of a rare thing back then. In fact my first 3 new cars were all HONDAS. Then I went to a MITSUBISHI 7 passenger "van"...the first mini-van on the road.

NOW I'm looking at some of the ELECTRIC vehicles or better yet, cars that run on HOT AIR...I'll never be out of fuel with that one...he he.

gja
Old October 7, 2007, 06:16 PM
Phil

Default Re: OH, the great ideas all around us Phil...

Bet you can Find a whole pack of Oldies but Goodies (cars that is) for a Dealership Road Show...

Talking about Electric cars...

Don't we Thrive on Finding Problems... Try Solving this interesting one...

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/02...r-the-most-pa/

Daily Tip: Beware of Hybrid Vehicles in Parking Lots
http://greenoptions.com/2007/09/26/d...parking_lot s

Blind People Appeal To Automakers For Noisier Hybrids, Electric Vehicles
http://groovygreen.com/groove/?p=1962

Phil
Old October 8, 2007, 08:45 PM
Fishman

Just thought I'd share this. I have two Hondas. One is 18 yrs old, the other 20 yrs. They both are aproaching the 300,000 mile range AND they both run PERFECTLY. BTW it helps to personlly know a CERTIFIDE Honda mechanic.

I also own my very first car that I purchased in '86. It's a '72 Monte Carlo. Last year before they change to the larger style and it is in better condition than my Hondas. Almost mint!