SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 18, 2017, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Default What do you want....from us?

18 years. Thousands of posts. Hundreds of topics.

Recently, we've added a significant number of new members, from my short lived newsletter (38 issues) and the July 4th special. It made us realize that what is old hat, and maybe even boring at this point to some of you old timers, it is fresh and new to people who have just discovered Seeds Of Wisdom forum.

Normally, I ask what do you want to individuals who have contacted me for either advice or whatever.

Since both Dien and I are focused on more offline activity, more than ever before, I want to ask you readers....

What would you like to read here at SowPub.com?

What do you want? A more open platform, invite more spammers? More specific discussion? More topics?

As time shrinks on our end, activity declines on this forum, we've cycled through these periods before.

This time, we ask you to help us take our new direction, and there will be a reward if you participate. I'm giving away either a new Kindle Fire or a new digital camera to someone who posts here with an answer to what they want. I'll put your names in a hat, and on Aug. 5th, Sat. I'll draw a winner.

If only one posts, then congrats on you, you have your choice. We'll discuss which one you want and I'll use my Amazon Prime account to get it to you in two days, so you should have it by Aug. 7th. Fair enough?

No right or wrong answers, just tell us what you would like to see here at SowPub.com, OK?

The reason we want your feedback especially newer members, we would not like to have this turn into a ghost town, like so many other forums have become, because honestly, this takes a little work, and we both have our plates full, and if need be, I clear sowpub from my plate in a NY minute.

Thanks for your participation.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. All new apprentice slots are taken, unless you have already contacted me. And yes, the Biz-Ops and JV's in the July 4th report are still on the table, but fading fast.
Old July 18, 2017, 10:46 AM
sandalwood

Default Re: What do you want....from us?

It seems to me the open free flow of ideas is an excellent theme. You and Dien already do a great job in facilitating such. Response, it appears, is an ebb and flow thing.

I might find a thread interesting and make 2 or 3 posts. Then I might read another thread and say to myself, yeah, that sounds about right so I don't post.

This business of selling, marketing and being aware is an ever changing event. Take fake news. It took a long time for people to realize how much of the crap they read and hear is "fill in the space" "journalism". Hell I was taught that BS in 1971/72 in J school at OU.

In fact, we were told over and over the number one priority of newspapers is to sell papers. Same held true for TV and radio (selling air time of course). Well sir if you have all that time and space to fill... You decide what they did to fill it.

My point good sir is this forum has done a great job in keeping posts on track and ideas flowing. Why change that basic premise?
Old July 19, 2017, 03:27 AM

Lightbulb What I really want is...

What I really want is what is stated on your Twitter page:

We're a well-established (since 2000) discussion group, all about sharing info on increasing your wealth and overall happiness!

That's the value I've been getting from this forum: valuable PRACTICAL information on marketing and wealth creation.

For the past 18 years, you've kept this place free from the decadence of get-rich-quick scams and flat-out spammers. (If you don't think that's a great achievement, just look at what happened to the Warriorforum)

Yes, sites like these may not get high "traffic", but remember that Truth is hardly ever as sexy as the seductive lies that flood the interwebs.

Please keep up this labour of love.

Thank you

Last edited by unpinkpanther : July 19, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old July 19, 2017, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default What happens when you fall out of love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
What I really want is what is stated on your Twitter page:

We're a well-established (since 2000) discussion group, all about sharing info on increasing your wealth and overall happiness!

That's the value I've been getting from this forum: valuable PRACTICAL information on marketing and wealth creation.

For the past 18 years, you've kept this place free from the decadence of get-rich-quick scams and flat-out spammers. (If you don't think that's a great achievement, just look at what happened to the Warriorforum)

Yes, sites like these may not get high "traffic", but remember that Truth is hardly ever as sexy as the seductive lies that flood the interwebs.

Please keep up this labour of love.

Thank you

Labor of love indeed.

There was a time, when I was married for 15 years and if you would have told me it wasn't going to last, I'd have bet the farm against you, yet a few years later, "the light of a whole life died, when love was done".

Also, most people a few years back were sure GOLF would be my love, avocation way into whatever old age I would enter, yet, I quit golf, a lucrative golf practice, COLD TURKEY, WALKED away and have never looked back.

I may be OUT of love about sharing info... on these subjects. We have a huge archive on just about anything you can imagine.

And I just don't have much to add. PLUS, we do other things. So like in golf, those 5 hour golf outings, several times a week, ate up TIME, AND once that time was freed up, other fun and enjoyable things filled it up.

Yes, we have both spent a LOT of time on SowPub, but has it reached a point of diminishing returns? Maybe, maybe not. I'm on the fence, and have to weigh the benefits of my time being spent here, and lately, it hasn't been all that rewarding, can't speak for Dien, but the fact we're both heavily pursuing OFF LINE ventures to the tune of 'bulk of our work TIME'
maybe we just let YOU guys handle Sowpub.

I'm just asking, undecided at this point. So I actively solicit your opinions, to be able to make an informed decision.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old July 19, 2017, 12:12 PM

Lightbulb Too bad I used that four-letter word...

Hi Gordon

Too bad I used that four-letter word "love"; it can stir up some unwanted memories.

I've tried running a forum before; ain't no fun fighting off spammers and trying to keep things rolling.

And that was why I appreciate your labour of... care

About asking us what we want, remember that if Henry Ford had asked people what they wanted, perhaps they would have asked for stronger horses...not really cars.

I suggest instead that YOU tell us the next direction where you think the forum is heading.

What do you think?
Old July 19, 2017, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default I guess it will get quieter and remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Hi Gordon

Too bad I used that four-letter word "love"; it can stir up some unwanted memories.

I've tried running a forum before; ain't no fun fighting off spammers and trying to keep things rolling.

And that was why I appreciate your labour of... care

About asking us what we want, remember that if Henry Ford had asked people what they wanted, perhaps they would have asked for stronger horses...not really cars.

I suggest instead that YOU tell us the next direction where you think the forum is heading.

What do you think?

The future of the forum is up to Dien, I'm weighing my future with it. Ford did say, you can have any color you want, as long as it is black.

Here, you can have the same old same old, as long as you don't involve me.

The reason why I asked, to see if anyone had any stimulating, interesting thoughts on the future, something, MAYBE, which would catch MY interest.

I imagine, not much will change, and as long as Dien remains healthy, it will continue to chug along. I'm not interested in business, marketing, online stuff only as my knowledge applies and is useful for my current pursuits.

Everything else is readily and easily available with Google.
And that is spelled Google, not Gordon.

GordonJ
Old July 24, 2017, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default 11 days til the Kindle Fire/Camera give away, so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
18 years. Thousands of posts. Hundreds of topics.

Recently, we've added a significant number of new members, from my short lived newsletter (38 issues) and the July 4th special. It made us realize that what is old hat, and maybe even boring at this point to some of you old timers, it is fresh and new to people who have just discovered Seeds Of Wisdom forum.

Normally, I ask what do you want to individuals who have contacted me for either advice or whatever.

Since both Dien and I are focused on more offline activity, more than ever before, I want to ask you readers....

What would you like to read here at SowPub.com?

What do you want? A more open platform, invite more spammers? More specific discussion? More topics?

As time shrinks on our end, activity declines on this forum, we've cycled through these periods before.

This time, we ask you to help us take our new direction, and there will be a reward if you participate. I'm giving away either a new Kindle Fire or a new digital camera to someone who posts here with an answer to what they want. I'll put your names in a hat, and on Aug. 5th, Sat. I'll draw a winner.

If only one posts, then congrats on you, you have your choice. We'll discuss which one you want and I'll use my Amazon Prime account to get it to you in two days, so you should have it by Aug. 7th. Fair enough?

No right or wrong answers, just tell us what you would like to see here at SowPub.com, OK?

The reason we want your feedback especially newer members, we would not like to have this turn into a ghost town, like so many other forums have become, because honestly, this takes a little work, and we both have our plates full, and if need be, I clear sowpub from my plate in a NY minute.

Thanks for your participation.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. All new apprentice slots are taken, unless you have already contacted me. And yes, the Biz-Ops and JV's in the July 4th report are still on the table, but fading fast.

sandalwood and unpinkpanther have a 50/50 chance. Why not put your 2 cents in and at least try to win something (you could always chattel it for a few quick bux and buy a Big Mac).

Anyone else, with what you might like to see from the forum?

Gordon
Old July 26, 2017, 09:21 PM
BenjaminS

I've been a long time lurker and inconsistent poster. Your archives at the forum are so plentiful and complete that I think most questions that get asked were answered somewhere in there. Sometimes when I get bored I'll just pick a random page and read all the threads. There are some classic like "if you were dropped into a town you'd never been to before, what's the quickest way you could make $500" etc that might be cool to see if anyone has any new ideas.

Recently I had an "aha" moment. I've changed my focus from making money to providing value and helping people like myself. I chose something I'm actually passionate about and I'm thinking long term instead of trying to replace a full time jobs income in the next 2 weeks with some new random idea that I would only stick with for a month.

If I had to pick one topic I'd like to see gone into more depth, it would be the advetorial direct mail advertising or any type of direct mail programs that can be run month after month with the same companies.

To be completely honest tho, your low-cost personal one-on-one guidance and all the information available leave little to be desired. I think personally it was just up to me to quit being hard headed, focus and decide what the Heck I wanted to do. All the resources are already right here waiting.
Old July 27, 2017, 04:09 PM
Robert J.

I think it is interesting that Gordon started this thread with the subject line: "What do you want from us?"

Maybe something like this would be better suited: "What can you do for us?"

I have been a fan/follower/lurker of this board for a long time. A long time, indeed. I have been inspired and motivated to no end ... this board bears no responsibility for my lack of action or success!

As much as I can tell, even though I've been here for many a moon, it is most likely that I miss the true Glory Days of the Sowpub experience.

The names of folks who have posted in this forum ... wow! Hall of Fame of Marketing-style Wow!

In recent years, the board has kind of fizzled out. Died like a camp fire at the end of a long evening.

Every once in a while, Gordon has returned to try to breath life back into this once-great forum. It always seems to work for a while, but quickly it becomes obvious: It's only the same people commenting, and eventually the discussion just burns up all its oxygen.

Gordon is tired. He's given his all to this project for more years than he ever planned (I would suspect).

At this point, the question should be: What can ... what will ... those of us who stop by to read (lurkers?) willing and able to lend to the conversation.

It isn't enough to comment on Gordon's posts (as great as those conversations can be).

Wouldn't it be great if more people took half the effort Gordon has given? Start a conversation once in a while. Post something interesting you've seen or read about in the WSJ, or Entrepreneur, or anywhere!

Mention a business you've seen locally. What's their secret sauce? Do they have a leg up on the market? What is it? And why do you think it works? (Or maybe why do you think it doesn't work?)

I can't say I'm going to "do as I say" here. I'd love to be able to say I'll start three or four threads a week. Unfortunately, I've got no street cred. I got nothin' but questions when it comes to biz. I'm a looker, not a doer.

But I'm going to try to keep an open mind. When I'm chasing shiny objects on the Web, if I see something interesting ... I'll try to come here and rub some sticks together ... see if we can't get a little smolder of a fire going.

Ask not what Sowpub can do for you ...
Old July 28, 2017, 12:02 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Watching two women tear each other's hair out... vs watching the stars...

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your post...

Of course, many things have changed since Sowpub started...

This forum is good for more extended discussion...

A lot of the attention nowadays has been taken by places like Facebook and Twitter.

Twitter is not a place for extended discussion... It even limits you to 140 characters! It's very hard to explain anything in depth there...

It's very well suited for insulting each other, though.

Facebook rewards you for posting pictures and videos. They generally don't like pure text...

I believe attention spans have been shrinking for many decades now. Twitter and Facebook are great for short attention spans...

I play the game there too! (I am on Twitter and Facebook...)

But it also has its limitations...

However, these short "hits" on Facebook and Twitter give you a quick dopamine "buzz" and gets you addicted!

I see it (to put it in historical terms) as being like the difference between watching Jerry Springer, vs. Carl Sagan...

Seeing two women tearing each other's hair out on "The Jerry Springer Show" can be more entertaining (for a quick dopamine hit) than learning about the billions and billions of stars on "Cosmos"...

Best wishes,

Dien