SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 1, 2017, 01:12 AM

Lightbulb Does anyone else find this question awkward?

"So what do you do?"

Back when I was in paid employment, this was easy to reply; I usually just mentioned the name of the company I worked for and that was it.

Now I'm a lone wolf without a stiff "job title"...thankfully. But it seems people can't stop prying into what exactly I do to make money.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you ward off curious questions that usually don't lead anywhere?
Old December 1, 2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default Depends who is asking the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
"So what do you do?"

Back when I was in paid employment, this was easy to reply; I usually just mentioned the name of the company I worked for and that was it.

Now I'm a lone wolf without a stiff "job title"...thankfully. But it seems people can't stop prying into what exactly I do to make money.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you ward off curious questions that usually don't lead anywhere?

And...what RESPONSE you want them to have.

For example, if I want them to "buzz off" and leave me alone, something like "I'm an Amway distributor, and if you have a few minutes I'd like to tell you about our great opportunity." That gets rid of the curious busybodies most of the time.

But, if you are in a business gathering, something, "I'm a consultant, what is your business?" This scares away most business people.

When they think you are getting ready to "pitch" them something, they flee.

If you DO want to pitch them something, then tell them what you do.

I'm a publisher.

I'm a Creative Marketing Professional. I'm a Independent Marketing Appraiser.

Keep the Stimulus-Response model in mind and use it as an opportunity to use and refine your people skills. Consultant works for so many things, but the most important thing is when they quid pro quo you their information...

BE HEARTY IN YOUR APPROBATION AND LAVISH IN YOUR PRAISE. Be Interested in them, let them light you up with THEIR stories, and you will be remembered, whatever you tell them you DO.

Gordon
Old December 1, 2017, 11:14 AM

Lightbulb LOL! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
And...what RESPONSE you want them to have.

I'm a publisher.

I'm a Creative Marketing Professional. I'm a Independent Marketing Appraiser.

Keep the Stimulus-Response model in mind and use it as an opportunity to use and refine your people skills. Consultant works for so many things, but the most important thing is when they quid pro quo you their information...

BE HEARTY IN YOUR APPROBATION AND LAVISH IN YOUR PRAISE. Be Interested in them, let them light you up with THEIR stories, and you will be remembered, whatever you tell them you DO.

Gordon

Dear Gordon:

Thank you for the practical tips!

I tried "consultant" once, but it seemed to come off as a synonym for "unemployed"

I also tried "publisher"...and then had to patiently explain that no, I do not have a printing press, nor do I design flyers or logos.

I'll keep the STIMULUS-RESPONSE model in mind.

Thanks again
Old December 1, 2017, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default This works too...

Quote:
Dear Gordon:

I tried "consultant" once, but it seemed to come off as a synonym for "unemployed"

I also tried "publisher"...and then had to patiently explain that no, I do not have a printing press, nor do I design flyers or logos.

Thanks again

What I do is none of your fu*king business, is it?
Old December 1, 2017, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Default Re: LOL! Thank you

Quote:
Dear Gordon:

Thanks again

Whoever "patiently explained" to you about being a publisher is full of ****e.

Bud Weckesser, the publisher, built one of the great homes on the Lake Erie shorline, and made millions, never had a printing press or did flyers or logos.

Dien and I are publishers.

unpinkpanther, frankly this baffles me. You publish a web site. You are offering two (that I know of) reports for sale, as a p0ublisher.

You answer the question this way.

I'm an online publisher. I publish reports on small business, for example, one is Before You Raise Money for a Business. Give that A-hole my phone number and have him call me and I'll explain how stupid he is, OK?

Publishing has nothing to do with printing, flyers or logos. Kindle books, ever hear of them?

Gordon
Old December 2, 2017, 12:17 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Does anyone else find this question awkward?

Quote:
"So what do you do?"

Hi Unpinkpanther,

Yeah, this can be tough when you're not used to it...

What I say I do depends on who I'm talking to... I modify it, depending on the "audience" and what I want them to think...

I don't lie. It's just that I have so many things to choose from...

Some of the things I've told people I do are... Editing work. Publish a newsletter. Have an export business. Physics consulting. Work in finance. Co-founder of an online money transfer business. Band manager. etc. etc. (All those are true, or have been true in the past.)

But yeah, the answer is different depending on who I'm talking to... Because they may ask more about it, I usually relate it to what it is they do. For example, if I'm at an import/export networking event, I'll mention my exporting business.

I don't necessarily recommend being so diverse... There are advantages and disadvantages...

Best wishes,

Dien