SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 14, 2016, 05:35 AM
ascendedmind

Default Re: The Ben/Harvey project.

Gordon, I really enjoyed reading your responses, If I may ask what allegedly did Ben do to get incarcerated?

Did he get cocky & forget what he experienced in the 70's regarding his bread fiasco with the FDA?

It appears Harvey does not tolerate any business person who tangles legally or illegally with the government. Perhaps this why he distance himself from both Gary Halbert &/or Ben Suarez?

Gary Halbert & Dan Kennedy once said & realized most of the courses or information products do not get open or even read! The 80/20 rule more likely the 95/5 rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Many librarians, collectors and vicarious thrill

seekers visit here, the Warrior Forum and other places. They get a high of sorts from the knowledge.

They KNOW.

But they don't do.

You can find them here, at other forums, blogs and Facebook groups. We might think of them as groupies. The men have their man caves, where books and video and notebooks sit upon their shelves...sometimes representing thousands of dollars spent...

they can talk about Abraham, Kennedy, Halbert...or the old masters, or the online gurus because they bought the courses. They usually have a favorite, they are fan boys.

But they don't do.

And over the last 15 years, we have shared as much information here as anywhere on the internet, and have shed light on concepts, strategies, and methods which have been tested and proven.

We have given away tons and boatloads of information, as has the participating members.

We long ago realized a huge percent of all people do NOT do.

I can name 10 people off the top of my head who have both Cossman and Brody material....and have never sent a single letter to a company or person seeking STORED VALUE. They KNOW about Toll Positions.

They do not DO.

Harvey Brody became a favorite subject here because he responded to a post we made early on in the SowPub project. I got one of the original courses back in the 70s, and actually applied some of his concepts.

But he is just ONE man with the "perfect" business for him. I've spent a lifetime around scores of people who were DOING their perfect businesses.

There is no one size fits all. It is good to learn and study...

but it is better to apply.

IF Sherman Hunter (or anyone) is only going to be part of someone's library...then what he is doing today, probably is going to be a waste of time for that person.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old May 14, 2016, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Well, I can't speak for either man...

[quote=ascendedmind;36631]Gordon, I really enjoyed reading your responses, If I may ask what allegedly did Ben do to get incarcerated?

You can find this by Googling Ben. It had to do with political contributions. As I understand it from reading the news, it was a "crime" committed before Corps became people, making political donations less of an issue. You can find details through the search engines. It may have been timing, and today, I doubt it would even get noticed.

Did he get cocky & forget what he experienced in the 70's regarding his bread fiasco with the FDA?

He fought hard for what he believed in, and he spent a lot of money which helped many marketers with what they were doing. The list of Direct Marketers fined, warned, chastised by the alphabet agencies is long. Now your questions have taken a spurious turn. I won't be provoked and neither man needs my help, but, I will issue you a SowPub warning to choose your words wisely, fair enough?

It appears Harvey does not tolerate any business person who tangles legally or illegally with the government. Perhaps this why he distance himself from both Gary Halbert &/or Ben Suarez?

Again, how would I know their "tolerances"? To my knowledge, he may still be working with Ben, and I'm pretty sure Gary spent his last week of freedom, before Boron, as a guest of Harvey's. Wouldn't call that distance, would you?

Gary Halbert & Dan Kennedy once said & realized most of the courses or information products do not get open or even read! The 80/20 rule more likely the 95/5 rule.

And from what I understand, neither one cared. What is the point? Anyone who has sold information, old mailorder style or digital, knows about the vicarious thrill seekers. I'm not prejudiced against any of the buyers of my information, if they want to DO, I may help.

If they want to collect, if they want to KNOW, that's OK.

Now, I'm probably not going to answer any more questions here, especially ones whose answers can be found with an easy google search.

I do appreciate you asking about the Toll Position Concept, but, it seems to be a horse that doesn't need any new flogging.

[

/quote]
Old May 15, 2016, 03:05 AM
ascendedmind

Thumbs up Re: Dien, what other concepts has Harvey Brody shared with you?

Gordon it was merely question & it was not designed to provoke you or disrespect Ben. Even though it would appear someone had an agenda towards Ben. Why would Harvey even comment about it? I did not even ask.

In fact Harvey would speak about there lack of hindsight, when it came to other practical matters. For example, Joe Karbo's eating habits regarding his poor health. Died way too young

I don't believe Harvey's intent was to belittle them, but to demonstrate a total mindset to have regarding everything in life & not just limited to business or the making of money.

I know many financially successful businessman, but who don't have a prosperous home life or marriage.

Most people limit their thinking just to Harvey's toll position concepts or his making of money, however he does speak spiritually in a round about way.

Harvey & Ben along with other marketing masters are just imperfect men like the rest of us... as reflected in the challenges of our ever day life.

I do appreciate you sharing your life experience & knowledge as well as others, so please do continue...
Old May 15, 2016, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default For me, it is hard for the one man band to critique the dotting of the i at THE OSU..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedmind View Post
Gordon it was merely question & it was not designed to provoke you or disrespect Ben. Even though it would appear someone had an agenda towards Ben. Why would Harvey even comment about it? I did not even ask.

In fact Harvey would speak about there lack of hindsight, when it came to other practical matters. For example, Joe Karbo's eating habits regarding his poor health. Died way too young

I don't believe Harvey's intent was to belittle them, but to demonstrate a total mindset to have regarding everything in life & not just limited to business or the making of money.

I know many financially successful businessman, but who don't have a prosperous home life or marriage.

Most people limit their thinking just to Harvey's toll position concepts or his making of money, however he does speak spiritually in a round about way.

Harvey & Ben along with other marketing masters are just imperfect men like the rest of us... as reflected in the challenges of our ever day life.

I do appreciate you sharing your life experience & knowledge as well as others, so please do continue...

are just imperfect men like the rest of us... as reflected in the challenges of our ever day life.
^^^
"That's a fact Jack".

When I had my golf shop in Hudson, OH, I was surrounded by dozens of Entrepreneurs and so-called "self-made" successes, many millionaires.

Being a Question Oriented Person, I often traded lessons, equipment for their business 'SECRETS', which they all had.

Didn't take this QOP long to figure out, some of these guys were just in the right place at the right time, they sold their companies to a bigger company. Sure, they were making mid six figures a year, but they became millionaires only by having what a deep pocket company wanted. Good for them and buying and selling businesses is a strategy we often discuss here.

So, I had to delve deeper and learn to discern which of the 'secrets' were useful to me, including their personal philosophies.

I'm more suited to a Gary Halbert/Harvey Brody strategy of NO employees or limited number, and I like the one man band approach they have offered as ONE template to follow. Also, family was very important to me, which gives me a tendency NOT to spend a lot of time on the strategies of the child free 'guru'. There are scores of IMers who don't worry about a family, some could (and have) lived in a tent. They never had the responsibilities of a family, so they were free to fail faster, which often led to faster success.Then this: as 4 examples; Ben Suarez, Rick Suarez, Rod Napier and Burt Morgan became some of the largest non hospita//university employers in Northeast OH.

Literally BILLIONS of dollars have been circulated because of the JOBS they offered. They had employees. NOT a good thing for ME and other one man bands...

But hundreds of employees. Combined, several thousand employees.

Ben built his company for friends and family. SCI has been a life saver to hundreds of people who were employees of the company.

MILLIONS of dollars were spent in the Akron-Canton area and hundreds of businesses were glad of it. Burt Morgan put thousands of people to work with the businesses he founded or co-founded. The affluent area of Hudson, OH was made even more so thanks to Burt.

When I walked the plush fairways of local country clubs LISTENING to the successful men and women, I maintained a perspective.

At THE Ohio State University, they have one of the Preeminent bands in college. The ritual of dotting the i, is a gift often bestowed upon successful alumni.

Perhaps, the one man band can see ways in which he would do it differently, maybe even more efficiently or effectively...

but then, the halftime shows would look pretty, pretty, pretty silly if we only watched the one man parading around the field, banging his own drum and tooting his own horn.

As a Question Oriented Person myself, a trained observer, keen on winnowing the best of all strategies which suit me...I often will listen, but may put some of the ideas up on the shelf, because they don't suit me...

nor my imperfections.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. If you are conversing with Harvey, why are you asking us questions?

Last edited by GordonJ : May 15, 2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 16, 2016, 02:57 PM
ascendedmind

Default Re: For me, it is hard for the one man band to critique the dotting of the i at THE OSU..

Gordon, let me clarify. My conversations/questions were very brief with Harvey.

I would always ask for permission as I knew he did not like wasting his time. I had to rely on my intuition. This was not done within a short period of time but over a span of 30 years!

What's amazing is Harvey appears to be the same & sounds the same as if he did not even age. His mindset & philosophy reminds me of an old wise spiritual business sage with great perception & practicality.

All the successful businessman I knew loved business, but their lifestyle seemed all work & no play. Some worked w/o any sleep for days. They were absolutely driven, but many paid with damaged health & costly divorces.

George Haylings, remember him? Wrote & sold reports about unique & unusual businesses via classified & display ads. This guy lived the life in Southern Cal.

What I learned from reading & studying these marketing masters is how to live & create a lifestyle w/o getting rich & still be happy! No to many people can do this w/o getting bog down with debt & stress.

I live a very simple stress free life, but the cost of living has forced me to reexamine & restructure everything so I can still live the way I desire.

I'm amazed at how most the successful businessmen I once knew have either died or have aged rapidly (20 or more years beyond) including others with wage slave jobs.

Jay is there any question you would like me to ask Harvey? I don't want to assume your relationship with him. If I ask by phone he always answers any question I have. & No, I don't talk with him on a regular basis. But he does seem to remember me when ever I do call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

are just imperfect men like the rest of us... as reflected in the challenges of our ever day life.
^^^
"That's a fact Jack".

When I had my golf shop in Hudson, OH, I was surrounded by dozens of Entrepreneurs and so-called "self-made" successes, many millionaires.

Being a Question Oriented Person, I often traded lessons, equipment for their business 'SECRETS', which they all had.

Didn't take this QOP long to figure out, some of these guys were just in the right place at the right time, they sold their companies to a bigger company. Sure, they were making mid six figures a year, but they became millionaires only by having what a deep pocket company wanted. Good for them and buying and selling businesses is a strategy we often discuss here.

So, I had to delve deeper and learn to discern which of the 'secrets' were useful to me, including their personal philosophies.

I'm more suited to a Gary Halbert/Harvey Brody strategy of NO employees or limited number, and I like the one man band approach they have offered as ONE template to follow. Also, family was very important to me, which gives me a tendency NOT to spend a lot of time on the strategies of the child free 'guru'. There are scores of IMers who don't worry about a family, some could (and have) lived in a tent. They never had the responsibilities of a family, so they were free to fail faster, which often led to faster success.Then this: as 4 examples; Ben Suarez, Rick Suarez, Rod Napier and Burt Morgan became some of the largest non hospita//university employers in Northeast OH.

Literally BILLIONS of dollars have been circulated because of the JOBS they offered. They had employees. NOT a good thing for ME and other one man bands...

But hundreds of employees. Combined, several thousand employees.

Ben built his company for friends and family. SCI has been a life saver to hundreds of people who were employees of the company.

MILLIONS of dollars were spent in the Akron-Canton area and hundreds of businesses were glad of it. Burt Morgan put thousands of people to work with the businesses he founded or co-founded. The affluent area of Hudson, OH was made even more so thanks to Burt.

When I walked the plush fairways of local country clubs LISTENING to the successful men and women, I maintained a perspective.

At THE Ohio State University, they have one of the Preeminent bands in college. The ritual of dotting the i, is a gift often bestowed upon successful alumni.

Perhaps, the one man band can see ways in which he would do it differently, maybe even more efficiently or effectively...

but then, the halftime shows would look pretty, pretty, pretty silly if we only watched the one man parading around the field, banging his own drum and tooting his own horn.

As a Question Oriented Person myself, a trained observer, keen on winnowing the best of all strategies which suit me...I often will listen, but may put some of the ideas up on the shelf, because they don't suit me...

nor my imperfections.

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. If you are conversing with Harvey, why are you asking us questions?
Old May 17, 2016, 10:32 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: For me, it is hard for the one man band to critique the dotting of the i at THE OSU..

Quote:
All the successful businessman I knew loved business, but their lifestyle seemed all work & no play. Some worked w/o any sleep for days. They were absolutely driven, but many paid with damaged health & costly divorces.

Quote:
What I learned from reading & studying these marketing masters is how to live & create a lifestyle w/o getting rich & still be happy! No to many people can do this w/o getting bog down with debt & stress.
Hi AscendedMind,

There's no doubt that Harvey has "cracked the code" here... He does not get "bogged down," and he loves his life...

And you're right. A lot of "success stories" are actually very stressed out people.

Some "success stories" even do stints in jail...!

Harvey is actually a very spiritual person. I don't think he'd mind me sharing that that's another key to his success... He does business in a completely ethical manner...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 19, 2016, 11:42 PM
ascendedmind

Harvey's aura emanates this spiritual aura or energy w/o even saying anything. It's the vibe you get from reading his copy or when you talk & listen to what he says.

He operates or thinks at a different frequency then the average successful business person does. Even at age 83 or 84 he's still passionate about what he does.

Harvey seemingly does not agree with the high priced ticket info seminars, which many make money from. I was rather surprised.

Think the likes of Tony Robbins, Robert Allen, Wade Cook etc as information peddlers. Most are based on hype & are not actually doing it or living it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi AscendedMind,

There's no doubt that Harvey has "cracked the code" here... He does not get "bogged down," and he loves his life...

And you're right. A lot of "success stories" are actually very stressed out people.

Some "success stories" even do stints in jail...!

Harvey is actually a very spiritual person. I don't think he'd mind me sharing that that's another key to his success... He does business in a completely ethical manner...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 20, 2016, 10:05 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Harvey's aura emanates this spiritual aura or energy w/o even saying anything. It's the vibe you get from reading his copy or when you talk & listen to what he says.
You know... I don't think it's a coincidence!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 7, 2017, 06:07 PM
cayn

Default Re: Yahoo as a "distressed" business, much like AOL was

Gordon
have you has Harvey ever helped you enter into a marketing agreement with a hard product you have found and if so how many?

Or how many abandoned properties have you found and marketed?

Thanks
Old May 8, 2017, 08:28 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Yahoo as a "distressed" business, much like AOL was

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayn View Post
Gordon
have you has Harvey ever helped you enter into a marketing agreement with a hard product you have found and if so how many?

Or how many abandoned properties have you found and marketed?
Hi Cayn,

I can't speak for Gordon, but I've acquired a number of info-products from the creators. Also, in one case, I negotiated a licensing fee to use content from someone else (which they wrote), and republish it myself as part of my own publication.

I've also used toll positions in other ways, where I've gone into a joint venture with someone who had a toll position... This is a way of, in a sense, acquiring half of a toll position which before you didn't own...

Best wishes,

Dien