SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 21, 2019, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Let us discuss a word: Proprietary.

Relating to an owner or ownership.

Is what Dictionary says about the word.

One of our favorite examples here at SOW is Harvey Brody's ZOOM SPOUT OILER, now with over 55 years of continuous sales, over an estimated 100 MILLION units sold.

WOWZA.

OWNERS rule. They rock n roll...all the way to the bank.

Many moons ago, I wrote about TINY the tow truck driver, the Vietnam vet who started with one truck working for someone else, took over a business, and became the OWNER by simply signing an agreement, no money out of his pocket,

He paid for his ownership via the profits of his business, and it is NOT an unusual arrangement.

Today, right now, the world over, more and more of the Baby Boomers and older are retiring, selling their PROPRIETARY positions on a wide variety of products and services.

I'm keeping an eye on DISNEY, and what it is going to do, and how it will impact STREAMING in the near future.

Today, we almost attacked a country, and in this WAG THE DOG era of fake video and deep fake "news", we better be careful who we give the power too, eh?

So some REAL NEWS. Today, right now, you can put yourself into an ownership position via some old world wheeling and dealing. It seems like over a decade ago we had some heavy discussion.

I think it is time to reexamine the subject. Dien and I like the idea of a TOLL POSITION, of ownership.

When Dien visited Erie, PA (GreenTree Press) and we laid out all those Harvey Brody courses and dozens of other things I had brought with me, it was amazing to see the central theme of

PROPRIETARY

of OWNERSHIP being the central thread that wove through the fabric of established businesses.

We have embraced the concept, both Dien and I have done our own things, and have worked with others too, and now we come full circle, back around to a central concept of Seeds Of Wisdom forum,

We plant seeds of wisdom, for harvests of happiness.

Today's seed, picked from the fruit of our now almost 20 year old tree of life, is OWNERSHIP.

And the one great idea YOU should think about is....

HOW can you quickly, easily, and without expense get into an OWNER'S position and have a TOLL set up and running, and HOW, many times, you can do it via acquisition without wasting time or energy or money.

The floor is open for discussion.

Gordon
Old June 21, 2019, 12:39 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Opportunities keep coming up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Relating to an owner or ownership.

Is what Dictionary says about the word.

One of our favorite examples here at SOW is Harvey Brody's ZOOM SPOUT OILER, now with over 55 years of continuous sales, over an estimated 100 MILLION units sold.

WOWZA.

OWNERS rule. They rock n roll...all the way to the bank.

Many moons ago, I wrote about TINY the tow truck driver, the Vietnam vet who started with one truck working for someone else, took over a business, and became the OWNER by simply signing an agreement, no money out of his pocket,

He paid for his ownership via the profits of his business, and it is NOT an unusual arrangement.

Today, right now, the world over, more and more of the Baby Boomers and older are retiring, selling their PROPRIETARY positions on a wide variety of products and services.
Hi Gordon,

Great topic!

I recently heard (from another entrepreneur) about a business, which owns patents, etc., where the founder and owner recently passed away...

He basically ran it himself (outsourcing much of the work). His wife doesn't know how to run the business, but now she has the responsibility of the business...

As well as the shocking tragedy, it's now also a huge burden on her shoulders...

Now, if you knew what you were doing, you could possibly do a deal... Where you help the wife, save the business, and everyone benefits...

These opportunities come up on a regular basis. But, it doesn't mean they're easy to work with...

If you can do it, though, it's a great opportunity!

However, you have to know how to spot the opportunity, and once you spot it, you have to know what to do...

Many useful lessons here!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : June 21, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old June 22, 2019, 11:44 PM
Marty Foley

Exclamation More PARTNERSHIP than OWNERSHIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Today's seed, picked from the fruit of our now almost 20 year old tree of life, is OWNERSHIP.

And the one great idea YOU should think about is....

HOW can you quickly, easily, and without expense get into an OWNER'S position and have a TOLL set up and running, and HOW, many times, you can do it via acquisition without wasting time or energy or money.

The floor is open for discussion.

Gordon

Hey Gordon.

Interesting topic.

What about partnering with someone who's got a classic/older product that has done well in the past, that isn't obsolete but still relevant, but for whatever reason stopped promoting it.

Not necessarily to gain OWNERSHIP, but more like PARTNERSHIP?

Got any products like that around, catching "digital" dust? :-)
Old June 23, 2019, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default Actually, yes we do. And some history (of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Foley View Post
Hey Gordon.

Interesting topic.

What about partnering with someone who's got a classic/older product that has done well in the past, that isn't obsolete but still relevant, but for whatever reason stopped promoting it.

Not necessarily to gain OWNERSHIP, but more like PARTNERSHIP?

Got any products like that around, catching "digital" dust? :-)

My direct contact favorite of this was what took place when SCI (Ben Suarez) secured the "marketing rights", via an agreement to give a % of profits where none had been generated for a couple of decades...

this done when he reissued the book, VERMONT FOLK MEDICINE by D. Jarvis, which had been a best seller in the 1950/60's. Although it is my favorite story on this type of transaction, only because I went over the numbers and the campaign, and all the copy written for it...

There are many examples. Dien and I were just talking about all the stuff we have which needs a little updating, but still is solid. BUT, our time is stretched thin, and we have new toll opportunities flying at us fast and furious...

it would be great to have someone who could offer up some of our long forgotten, albeit, still relevant information products.

Why just today, I was reviewing a long time ago info product published by WilVey called THE CONCEPT. One of the great courses on starting a business that there ever was, and I had a lot, if not most of them at one time.

That being said...I'm not big on Joint Ventures, or Partnerships...but I am fond of % selling, bulk going to the person doing the selling.

I've had real partnerships in the past, best for ME to do it a different way. Ben Suarez has a great story in 7 Steps to Freedom II about his brother Rick, who broke off to form his own successful marketing company.

Too many opportunities for us, we have to pick and choose.

But, we are always ready to listen to any proposal.

Gordon
Old June 24, 2019, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Proprietary... Games, specialty products, inventions AND

Marketing.

I belong to several groups, for inventors, creators, etc. Just as a hobby, more or less, to stay up on what people are fiddle farting around with these days.

I like to do Patent searches, and that is a rabbit hole that can eat up some time...and thanks to shows like Shark Tank, Lion's Den, and all those micro or crowd investment sites, we see a lot of creativity.

Along with that, a lot of "starving" inventors. People on the Shark Tank have often spent their life savings and then some on "their creative babies", only to be told they are worthless. A few, a very few, prove the sharks wrong. But most of the time, the Sharks get it right.

The idea wasn't thought of from the MARKETING side of things.

Way back, when I was an "employee" of SCI, one of my jobs was to contact inventors who had submitted ideas for possible marketing. I spoke to scores of people over many months. NONE of whom, had a viable product we could market.

During this time, I had a few of my own gigs going, having made the greatest golf wedge in history (so I say), that was ripped off, but never duplicated...and a couple of games, one was Froggin Poggin during the POG craze, which I sold off.

My other game, Roll Boll is collecting dust, but some day...it will be the craze of the country. Dozens of Roll Boll Paladiums will be built.

Anyhow, back to reality here.

Today, people spend HUNDREDS of dollars on items like Space Heaters, Air Purifiers, Oxi-Ozone washing machines, robot vacuums, and now vaping pens or as some have found that exploding cigar trick which can blow your face off...so much for the cheapest lithium-ion batteries, eh?

Going off shore for wiring, electrical work can get hazardous, thank goodness for good liability insurance these days.

Virtual reality is coming at us fast and furious. More robotic operations as Siri and her friends take over our houses.

Where is the OPPORTUNITY for you?

Because, chances are, you may have a good idea. But don't know anything about Patents, or Trademarks, Copyrights, Secrets...all those things needed to build a wall of protection around you.

But even more than that, HOW DO YOU MARKET, your thing, because, you don't have to invent it...thousands of inventions laying on the ground to be picked up for nothing but a marketing contract...IF, you hook up with someone who CAN market it.

There is a group, of now OLD people, who have been around what seems like forever to a millennial...people who KNOW how to market, how to invent, how to acquire, how to protect...

AND how to profit from all that, through strategic alliances.

IF you have an interest in knowing more about this, let Dien or I know. We have something for a few of you to get involved in on a Beta floor. IF you have proprietary position, we are especially interested in hearing from you.

Gordon
Old June 24, 2019, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Let us discuss a word: Proprietary.

As always a great discussion.

It has been quite a while since I was here, but now am back looking around.

I have a couple of projects that could be of interest, if one wants to message me.

One involves training the other a combining of technologies.

In any case, keep up the good work!
Old June 24, 2019, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Perfect timing, for you and other "old" timers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
As always a great discussion.

It has been quite a while since I was here, but now am back looking around.

I have a couple of projects that could be of interest, if one wants to message me.

One involves training the other a combining of technologies.

In any case, keep up the good work!

Dien and I JUST got the invite to a very special BETA TEST, and we can share it with some of our select members. Good stuff...any one who has studied Joe Cossman, Harvey Brody, or had any of the old WilVey Publishing stuff will find it interesting.

Let me clarify one thing. One does not need to have a PROPRIETARY position, must have a desire to get one. Because ACQUISITION and take overs are going to be a big part of this beta thing too.

I know there are MANY SowPubbers who have PROPRIETARY ideas, but getting those out of some of their minds, well, too much work for me, but maybe this new thing will help them.

Millard you've been around the block a couple of times, good to see you circling back, your timing is perfect. We should have more info in the next few days, stay tuned.

In some what of a left handed way, the Trump Trade taxes could be a boon for those in the right position, those who have C O N T R O L of their stuff and align with those who know how to market it.

Gordon
Old June 25, 2019, 08:46 AM

I'll be sure to stay tuned. I am all ears.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old June 25, 2019, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default In the meanwhile, back at the ranch...in some ways,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I'll be sure to stay tuned. I am all ears.

Thanks for the heads up.

in some ways..we're getting back around to BRINGING A PRODUCT TO MARKET, although, we've always been focused on that. We've had periods where we went full out IN on creating and marketing.

So, rather than make you search our archives where you will find a lot of discussion and some book reviews, here are some of those resources, and don't forget your local library too. Today, most belong to an inter library resource and many are now on digital or if you can stand it, even audio.

In the past, the books I've read and studied included:

Stephen Key's: ONE SIMPLE IDEA and SELL YOUR IDEAS WITH OR WITHOUT A PATENT.

Harvey Reese's: HOW TO LICENSE YOUR MILLION DOLLAR IDEA.

Richard Stim writing for NOLO: PROFIT FROM YOUR IDEA, HOW TO MAKE SMART LICENSING DEALS. The latest edition is the blue cover, 2017.

I don't want to overload anyone, maybe later (or feel free to do it yourself), search the archives for a few of these, you'll find the threads of all the info.

What is missing, and something we are trying to remedy, is a CURRENT case study, from a living person, who is actually DOING a licensing agreement, and maybe several of them. We are approaching a few of the well known folks whom we know for a fact have or are doing this TODAY.

Hopefully, when our "mystery guest" is ready to sign in here, we'll let you take off the blindfolds and ask him (or her) directly, fair enough?

Until then, do some google searches for "how to license a product" and spend some time down that rabbit hole, if you have any interest.

Gordon

Here are a couple of sites to look over:

http://ideasuploaded.com/

https://www.inventright.com/

Just to get you started THINKING.
Old June 26, 2019, 06:44 AM

Thank you Gordon!

The resources will help save me a ton of time. Additionally, I expect my product launch will be helped greatly by this also.

I'll let you know how things progress with my new project.