SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 15, 2006, 12:15 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Being Interested vs Being Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Gaugler View Post
A person gets bored when they have nothing that they are interested in.

Boredom = lack of interest.

The way you beat boredom is to get interested in something.

You see, you have the power to be INTERESTED . . . just as you have the power to be BORED.

It's simply a choice.

Hi Hugh,

I don't know if this is what you mean... But sometimes when you look "deeply" enough into something, you'll find something interesting.

Let's take something like cow dung... Blecchhh!! What a boring (not to mention disgusting) topic... However...

Some people build their houses out of cow dung!

Other people burn cow dung - and use it for cooking! (It has a lot of fiber that can be burned...)

(Here's an article about using cow dung as a fuel - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2636529.stm )

It's both important - and using cow dung this way can even save lives (as the article talks about)!

Anyway... Dig deep enough, and many otherwise boring topics can become interesting...

Just a few days ago I had a discussion with a friend about what it is about something that makes you find it "interesting". Anyway, he and I came to similar conclusions...

That was, for something to be "interesting" (at least for me), it seems it either has to be "surprising" or "potentially significant".

The "cow dung" example has both qualities. If you never heard of it before, the idea that cow dung could be used for housing and fuel is definitely surprising! And for people in certain places, it could be very significant too - and improve the quality of living, or even save lives...

I find a lot of business topics interesting, for the same reason... One reason I love reading some advertising is because many ads are quite surprising! They use "surprise" to get your attention - the "A" in the famous "AIDA" ad-writing formula... But, a lot of business topics are "potentially significant" to me too, since I try to apply them in what I do...

There's some (non-cow-dung cooked) food for thought...

- Dien
Old December 20, 2006, 11:05 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Overcoming Boredom and Personal Dis-satisfaction

Alright, Dien, DUCK! Buffalo chips (dung) is flying to all those duh Americans. Any American who doesn't realize that buffalo chips were largely responsible for the survival of many pioneers doesn't know their own history.

Buffalo chips (dung) were used for heating and cooking by pioneers on the prairies where buffalo used to be plentiful and wood was almost unheard of.

End of history lesson, folks. LOL

Sandi Bowman
Old December 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks Sandi for the fascinating lesson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post
Alright, Dien, DUCK! Buffalo chips (dung) is flying to all those duh Americans. Any American who doesn't realize that buffalo chips were largely responsible for the survival of many pioneers doesn't know their own history.

Buffalo chips (dung) were used for heating and cooking by pioneers on the prairies where buffalo used to be plentiful and wood was almost unheard of.

End of history lesson, folks. LOL
That's a fascinating lesson!

I (like probably many others) had no idea that "buffalo chips" were used by the pioneers for heating and cooking... (They never showed this on "Gunsmoke"! I've been watching reruns on cable... Somehow, Matt Dillon looking around for buffalo dung to build a fire while he's off chasing a suspected killer across the plains doesn't fit his "gung ho" image... )

Also, if anyone ever gives me a packet of "buffalo chips" - I'll know not to eat it!

Thanks, Sandi!

Dien
Old December 22, 2006, 05:57 AM
hanleo46

Default Overcoming Boredom and Personal Dis-satisfaction

Hey nfinigeek

Join a fun group just for the sake of having fun, and helping others!

I am sure you have some fun left in you that could help others too - Be a Buddy!

Sometimes we try too hard to be serious,,cuz we can't try to be witty!

Have a great day, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Leo Hanes
850-266-7903
IdealTrends.bybweb.com

If You Want To Increase Cash Flow and have Some Fun
- Learn How You Can Make Money Giving Away Free Stuff
- Free EBook - NO EMAIL or JOINING Anything First
Old December 23, 2006, 01:45 PM
Richard Dennis

Default Re: What God did when He got bored ...

I've been re-reading one of my favorite books by PJ O'Rourke,
"All the Trouble In the World - The Lighter Side of Overpopulation, Famine, Ecological Disaster, Ethnic Hatred, Plague, and Poverty"

One of the beautiful spots O'Rourke visited to research his book was Somalia. He describes a country without a government - totally ruled by gangs. Somalia consists of 6 clans. Every member of every clan hates every member of every other clan.

It gets worse. Within each clan, of course, are families. And often, families within a clan are at war. When O'Rourke wrote this book (1994), the 2 leading Somali warlords were from the same clan.

So the Somalis have a joke:

"God was bored. So he created the universe. But that was boring, too. So He created Adam and Eve. But He was still bored. So God created the rest of the human race. And even then He was bored.

So God created the Somalis. He hasn't stopped laughing since."

I highly recommend any O'Rourke book for plenty of laughs.

Richard Dennis