SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 9, 2002, 02:57 AM
Dien Rice

Default Would you prefer your email address to be visible or "hidden" on this forum?

The software that runs this forum has the option to make email addresses "hidden".... That is, you can get notification if someone responds to your posts, but your email address can't be seen by the "public." The main advantage of this feature is that your email address can't be "harvested" for spam....

At the moment, I have this feature turned off, but I'd like to know what everyone here thinks about this. Would you prefer this feature turned on, or do you prefer things as they are?

The "down" side of turning this on is that it could be harder to contact each other by email, and I know forums like this one have always helped to stimulate joint-ventures (JVs).... So while it would be good for helping to prevent spam, an unintended side-effect is it might stifle possible JVs too....

So, what do you think about this? Would you prefer email addresses to be hidden or visible?

- Dien Rice

P.S. This wouldn't affect web site links at the end of posts, those would stay of course.
Old February 9, 2002, 03:05 AM
Stephen Dean

Default Re: Would you prefer your email address to be visible or "hidden" on this forum?

Greetings Dien,

I prefer keeping it on. One of the best places to make contacts is on a board like this. Not only by being able to email people on the board for JV's, comments, or the like - but also to be emailed myself with the same things. I'm all for it.

Stephen Dean
ebizknowitall.com
Home of the Tombstone Sales Letter

The Tombstone Sales Letter
Old February 9, 2002, 09:49 AM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Would you prefer your email address to be visible or "hidden" on this forum?

Dien -

> At the moment, I have this feature turned
> off, but I'd like to know what everyone here
> thinks about this. Would you prefer this
> feature turned on, or do you prefer things
> as they are?

I would prefer to keep things just as they are.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Click Here to Discover How to Get a Great New Life in 10 Days!
Old February 9, 2002, 12:30 PM
John David Bradshaw

Default I would prefer...

> At the moment, I have this feature turned
> off, but I'd like to know what everyone here
> thinks about this. Would you prefer this
> feature turned on, or do you prefer things
> as they are?

Dien,

I vote for leaving things as they are.

Some folks add an obvious NOSPAM word to their email address to confuse the harvesters. I guess it works, tho' I've never used it myself.

For example: [email protected]

That should bounce back as an undeliverable email address and get deleted from the list.

Keep up the good work, Dien.

BTW, thanks for the eHotsheet...it's a great help!

Be blessed,

JDB

Just the basics...
Old February 9, 2002, 06:14 PM
Dien Rice

Default Thanks for your replies....

Looks like there's a clear winner!

We'll keep things as they are. :)

- Dien Rice
Old February 9, 2002, 06:42 PM
Stan

Default Re: Thanks for your replies....

I say leave it the way it is. I use my "throw-away" email account to post. THerefore, if my address is harvested, I don't really care.
Old February 9, 2002, 11:02 PM
Anya

Default Same here....

I like it just the way it is, Dien.

I'm one of the ones that "disguises" the email addy, and so far I haven't been bothered by too much spam.

By the way, I love the "Hotsheet". I visit all the links and have learned very much from them.

Good job!

:)
Anya.

International Cool Kids - FUN for the whole family!
Old February 10, 2002, 08:33 AM
Steve MacLellan

Default Posting your email address is optional

Hi Dien,

If you limit the ability of forum posters to contact others then you are limiting their profit. It is beneficial to anyone looking to network, learn, or make new business associates, that they be able to easily contact individuals who may be in a position to help them.

I'm sure some of you may question that statement. Since I don't know how you may have benefitted let me give you some personal examples of how others (including myself) have benefitted.

Sometimes when I see someone struggling with a web problem, I will email them a solution. Does a personal reply like this belong on a message board? No. But if I wasn't able to email them, you would prevent them from using this message board to find a solution.

Other times I have clicked on email links on message boards and sent some of you CGI scripts, programs, eBooks, Javascripts, PHP scripts, images and private endorsements of programs, places and things that has helped you solve a problem.

Many of you have done the same thing for me. AND....

Sometimes this is the first contact used of potential customers; some of who NEVER post to a message board, but simply lurk.

On most of these WeBBBs boards it is the users choice to leave their email address. For example on my message board is a post from Boyd who chose NOT to leave an email address. It is still a valid post. If you check some of the other postings, you will see an email link with most of them.

So Dien, if you feel some are sensitive about leaving their email addresses on this board, put a message at the top and tell them that this is optional and not required. They can if they want to... but they don't have to. This way you are not limiting your users ability to benefit by networking through this forum.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

homebusiness-websites.com
Old February 11, 2002, 12:29 PM
Mel. White

Default It's okay as it is

It's convenient. And we can always NOT leave our emails, knowing it's not considered a fault by anybody. Lesley's "Friends in business" board has the same policy.

I wouldn't like to be locked into HAVING to leave an email, but I don't mind this.
Old February 11, 2002, 06:00 PM
Dien Rice

Default Re: Same here....

Hi Anya,

Thanks for your feedback on the email issue!

> By the way, I love the "Hotsheet".
> I visit all the links and have learned very
> much from them.

Thanks Anya! We're getting LOTS of positive feedback.... I'm glad everyone seems to find it useful! Michael and I have fun putting it together too.... :)

- Dien Rice

The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet