SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 20, 2009, 07:16 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Sad personal news...

Dear Sowpubbers,

As some of you may know, around 3 weeks ago my father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. The last 3 weeks my two brothers and I have been dealing with the emotional and other burdens...

I thought I'd just share that as an explanation why I've been less active than usual on the forum lately...

Here's an email I recently sent out...

Quote:
3 weeks ago, my life suffered a heavy blow. Unexpectedly and suddenly, my father passed away. This note is to share a few words with you here in explanation.

Thankfully, his passing away I believe was without pain for him (or with very little pain). However, it has left his other family members and me with a gaping void in our lives.

My father is someone I admired very much. He was a good man of integrity. Yet he was always positive, and also always caring about his fellow human being. You could say that his whole life was devoted to that. He could have worked in many different fields, but in the end he devoted his life to being a professor specializing in the economics of developing countries - or, in ordinary words, he devoted his life to helping some of the world's poorest people to attain better lives.

He was not just an "ivory tower" academic, but also worked on various projects which helped in practical ways.

For example, in the tsunami of Dec. 2004, the hardest hit area was the province of Aceh, Indonesia, where over 120,000 people died. In the aftermath, my father worked in Aceh to help rebuild and redevelop the region's economy (which had been destroyed by the tsunami). That's just one dramatic example of where he used his expertise to help some of the world's least fortunate people.

His passing away shocked me, because my father seemed to be quite strong.

However, rather than writing a million words about my father, I just want to share one more thing I learned from him.

My father lived a life of gratitude.

By spending a life where he saw some of the world's least fortunate people, he was grateful for what he had. He lived a life of gratitude for his loving family, for his friends, for the wonderful Earth and sun, for his health, and for the opportunities he's been given. He was a religious man, and gave thanks to God for these things.

I believe that being grateful for what you have is one of the most wonderful things you can do for your own life. Thank you, Dad. I hope I can live a life as good and as meaningful as yours was.

Some here (including Gordon) have been supportive "behind the scenes"... Thanks! You've been wonderful, and really helped me when I needed it...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old March 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
jack3038

Default Re: Sad personal news...

Dear Dien:

I am sorry to learn of your loss. My condolences. Sounds like your father
was a giant credit to the world and we will all miss him.

Jack
Old March 20, 2009, 08:58 PM
Steve MacLellan

Very saddened to hear of your loss.

Sincerely,
Steve MacLellan
Old March 21, 2009, 10:41 AM
Randy

Dien,

If there is ever a time in my life when I feel like I don't know quite what to say or if mere words are even adequate ... just know that that your loss is certainly all of our loss. My prayers go out to you and your family at this time of grieving.

I think we all come away with something from the lives we meet and from the lives that have poured into ours especially from our parents. Just knowing who you have become gives some idea as to the nature of your dad and to that I say we will all miss him even though many of us never met him.

Randy Sutton
Old March 21, 2009, 12:26 PM
Paul

So sorry Dien. I will say a prayer.

Paul
Old March 21, 2009, 08:52 PM
Sandi Bowman

Dien, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father.

He must have been a wonderful person to produce a son like you. Your tribute to your father shows the respect and caring that you shared. May you and your family treasure his memory and find peace in time.

Sandi Bowman
Old March 22, 2009, 12:14 AM
Phil

Dien,

Please accept our most heartfelt sympathies for your terrible loss, especially when so unexpectedly… Our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Celebrating life and sharing those treasured memories has always been a great help for me in the healing process of losing special people in my life...

One of my favorite quotes and perfect for your dad...

I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love. Leo Buscaglia

Phil
Old March 22, 2009, 06:58 AM
Eternal Optimist

Hi Dien - I am sorry to hear of your loss - even when you know someone can't get better, there's a huge shock when they pass away. It's so much more of a shock when death comes unexpectedly.

Your father has obviously left you, your family, friends and a much wider community with a legacy which is going to keep on "Giving" for many, many years to come. I'm sure many private memories of him have been taken out of storage, examined, laughed about and cried about - and stored away again for future reference. Those memories are a treasure trove which will be shared at family gatherings and parties and will keep him forever alive.

Margaret
Old March 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
BrentWhinfield

Dien,
In addition to the email I sent you, I once again
offer my deepest sympathy. I pray for yourself
and family during this time of sorrow.

God loves you.
Brent.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default Dien, you are a good man.

I'm sure your father was proud of all the boys. As you continue to tidy things up, keep a watchful eye on tomorrow as well...because it's coming at us all at super speed.

The past to remember, the future to behold.

May your memories be joyful and consoling and may your future be bright.

Gordon