SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default Finishing thoughts on Booklets...

OK, hope a few of you got some ideas and acted upon them...

NOW, I want to take a quick minute and do some Splainin as Lucy so often did to Ricky (reference to old TV show, I Love Lucy)

After 40 years of business, why did I choose Ice Cream, Hot Dogs and Booklets (along with a little SQ1 techin) as my RETIREMENT...

A small Ice Cream stand either sub leased or with a cart on the beach...can be a real cash cow, especially if you have some thing special...

I think Ice Cream at the beach is a no brainer. And I don't have to be there either. Sell some ice cream, make some dough.

I BELIEVE but time will tell my Hot Dog recipe with Veal will be well rec'd in CA...again, regular hot dogs sell so I'm not worried about my gourment up scale, no preservatives, no sodium and no salt...yet really meaty hot dog will do well...and I'm not trying to start franchieses with either one...

But, expect to have the reputation as being BEST on the beach...and ONLY available on MY beach...

I want to sell out everyday.

The booklets thing started last year when I tested the Samir Balloon Biz idea down in W. Palm and as I wrote last year, it was not for me due to the driving...BUT, my FREE gift idea, a Coupon Book attached to the balloon, well, it was of more interest to the people I wanted to place balloons in than the balloons themselves.

It is hardly a new idea...I started selling advertising in 1969 wiith a purchase of an ACTION AD clock I placed in Dry Cleaners and Pizza Shops...a nice clock with a neon light and glowing placards that rotated around it...

And I sold for coupon flyers, and for new magazines, like a new Woman's Mag in Akron, and menus and Menu Boards etc.

I've always thought selling advertising is pretty simple idea with a lot of competition and a few businesses willing to try anything new.

The REASON I like all three is, there is NO support required. They eat the ice cream, the hot dog...and if they walk away alive, you don't have to deal with them...it is a CONSUMABLE with an almost unquenchable appetite for fast quick food like hot dogs and ice cream...the demand isn't going to go away...

In fact, during this rececession, most snack food went up in sales...and ice cream went booming especially boutique ice creams...s

Of all the things and biz-ops out there, which I could have total control over...the Booklet Coupons makes the most sense to me...

Thanks to Groupon and the smart phones...people are using Coupons like never before. BUT, to walk into a store and try to sell them coupons is and can be a hard sell, despite what some guy who has a course to sell to you says...

Getting rejections, or even worse taking his money and it doesn't work...why do you think all coupon clipper type businesses always have a help wanted sign out????

Because selling advertising can be tough, it is tough.
So, I looked at the lucrative business coupon advertising biz and simply combined with a referral program...and tested and tested...then got sick over the summer, got the heck out of town and picked it up again during my adventure/recuperation/recovery time.

So, that is my explanation as to why I chose these businesses when there were and are 1001 other opportunities.

1) Absentee ownership of a proprietary product in which I am the TOLL keeper, only I can create this ice cream...and may at some point license it out if I am not involved in the process..

2) Same with hot dogs.

3) SIMPLE here it is, take it or leave it ADVERTISING BOOKLET, which I can easily make or hire someone to print fold and deliver...although that is really the fun part...but it could be done in my abscence...without being the support.

NOW, I am an expert on Biz-Op...and if I were advising a younger person, I may suggest a different and maybe a more hands on approach to their biz goals.

But I want to do something FUN. Sell a HIGH DEMAND product...and set up some recurring income patterns, such as the booklet business...so now you know more than you ever wanted as to my reason why I'm so hot on Hot Dogs, Ice Cream, Beans and Booklets...

Sounds like an interesting boutique shop at Pacific Beach, doesn't it?

gja