SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 3, 2017, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default What you want, so far.

What you say you want from us, summary:

How about case studies of what marketing or advertising approaches worked? And are WORKING, in today's world. I think we can do this.

I don't understand how to advertise on Facebook or if it's even worth it. Dien is really getting into testing this, probably by the Fall, we'll have some results, maybe some NEW case studies.

You want current results because what you did a few years back, doesn't produce results. We can probably share some of the success with the group.

You want to see more here about selling digital information, and you want tested and proven real, A-Z steps to accomplishing specific things,

We will probably be doing more Joint Ventures here, tapping into YOUR expertise and assisting YOU to sell to our lists and members. For me, I do have a list of projects I'd like to do, but, TIME is, as it always has been, the critical issue for me, I think Dien might feel the same at this point. It is easier for me to edit, advise and assist YOU in creating digital information and having everyone WIN, mutual benefit for you, your customer and us. Always open to ideas.

Dien has been using ifttt, here is LINK to a 2015 thread

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35560

We are also building more of a Facebook, and Twitter presence, (Dien is), so we may have some groups to discuss some of the old stuff, which still works.

"I'd also love to see Spiders and Snakes finished. That's a book I'd buy!
" My daughter and I are working on a book, and I'm playing with animation software, to see if I can make a little movie too. It is the foundation on which I built a good life on and is based on lessons learned one hot Spring day in 1960. Like a lot of my work, it doesn't get the attention (MINE) it deserves.

Maybe a $1 kindle book on entrepreneurial secrets from the legends on SOWPUB might also "kindle" interest from a fresh market? Include links to resources on SOW? Good idea, maybe I can combine the best of SOWPUB with Nectar of the masters, and mobi that baby, OR...one of you could take this on...HINT!

We want to invite you and your smartest friends, not sure how. The good guys get invited to a lot of parties, so we always welcome people, our party door is open, but maybe the Sorority House is throwing a more inviting party...but we agree, like to increase the WHO visits and let them bring the what.

You want practical money making ideas , tips that can be found no where else.
This is hard to do, we uncover secrets from lots of folk, but we feel we've been sharing PRACTICAL money making ideas for 18 years, hope to keep doing it.

As to “many more members” here, we've always had the Welcome sign out, however, we are careful not to get overloaded like Warrior Forum, and more members means more work for us. The point I've been trying to make here is, we will be doing less work here, not trying to increase the workload.

As for a “massive increase” in members? NO thanks.

As for political debates, we've NEVER encouraged them, in fact lost a few valuable contributors because they couldn't contain their politics.

SowPub has always been about business and making money, if anyone feels we've encouraged political debate, you must have landed here an a very unusual day!

We'll think about more prizes, bribes, gifts, give it some thought. We will NOT be offering blogs or sub forums to anyone.

Yes Google likes us, SowPub is frequently on Page One for many business or money making ideas, thanks to all the participation over the years.

The mention of George Haylings, set off a lot of good ideas, I remember discussing George with Dien and Rick Smith when Dien came to Ohio. Dien's newsletters cover a lot of this.

Early Internet “Georges” included Ron Ruiz, Dave Bancroft and SowPub, with many contributors who recalled: Dean DuVall, Ernest Weckesser, Joe Karbo, George Haylings, and a host of others.

Thanks to all who posted, we will give every idea a good review, flesh things out and hopefully keep Sowpub humming along and with YOUR help, make it even better.

TWO days left, if you have anything to add, please do, and get a chance for a nice gift. Add to this thread, OR the original What do you want? thread.

Gordon and Dien
Old August 4, 2017, 07:08 PM
Bob B

Default Re: What you want, so far.

[quote=GordonJ;38391]

Really like this idea, Gordon:

Maybe a $1 kindle book on entrepreneurial secrets from the legends on SOWPUB might also "kindle" interest from a fresh market? Include links to resources on SOW? Good idea, maybe I can combine the best of SOWPUB with Nectar of the masters, and mobi that baby, OR...one of you could take this on...HINT!

How about having someone interview you (someone who knows something about marketing, etc.) or do a series of interviews for SowPub that could be turned into various products with some editing (audio books, hot sheets, PDF reports) and sold for $10 to $30 each. I'm guessing that the accumulated wisdom of Gordon alone could realistically be converted into a library of hundreds of products the Sowpub audience would love. Yes, that would take some time to build up. But what about doing a 1-hour interview at a time on a specific topic, like direct mail tips every web site could use?

Bob B
Old August 4, 2017, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Default An hour of me is hard to take, even for me...but 30-45 mins, I could do that.

[quote=Bob B;38393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

How about having someone interview you (someone who knows something about marketing, etc.) or do a series of interviews for SowPub that could be turned into various products with some editing (audio books, hot sheets, PDF reports) and sold for $10 to $30 each. I'm guessing that the accumulated wisdom of Gordon alone could realistically be converted into a library of hundreds of products the Sowpub audience would love. Yes, that would take some time to build up. But what about doing a 1-hour interview at a time on a specific topic, like direct mail tips every web site could use?

Bob B

I'd be willing to do something like this, be glad answer questions BUT, I don't want to write it, so whomever would either need it transcribed or do the transcription. But talking,

as many of you know,

I CAN do that.

Bob, if you want to do something like this, give me an email with your first idea, and we'll talk and set up an initial "test of concept", fair enough?

Gordon (does he ever shut up?) Alexander
Old August 4, 2017, 10:13 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks... those are great ideas...! :)

[quote=Bob B;38393]
Quote:

Thanks Bob, I think those are some great ideas...!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old August 5, 2017, 05:53 AM
donsonic

Thumbs up Re: What you want, so far.

[dave bancroft]

Gordon,

Could you provide a short history on Dave Bancroft? Is he still with us today? I know he was one of the early Internet Marketing pioneers. He also started online reprint/resell rights with VHS video cassettes. I have many of them. Keep up the great work.

donsonic
Old August 5, 2017, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsonic View Post
[dave bancroft]

Gordon,

Could you provide a short history on Dave Bancroft? Is he still with us today? I know he was one of the early Internet Marketing pioneers. He also started online reprint/resell rights with VHS video cassettes. I have many of them. Keep up the great work.

donsonic

Well, I like Dave. He had one of the original FORUMS, which were what the discussion groups of Usenet...aka newsgroups and bulletin boards were called in the 20th Century. I discovered them in 1987, and started selling computer parts and software.

So, when www came about, many of us were familiar with the forum concept and there was a lot of early software for setting them up, and everybody did. My first www forum of posts, was on the circa 1994 or 95 SCI, (Ben Suarez) forum, and he was light years ahead of his time, just winding up or getting out of the computer biz. There was a time when Ben and SCI were as big as Dell in the selling of PCs.

OK. So Dave was one of those off line guys, who prior to the Internet ran ads in magazines, but was also getting ready for the big Internet Explosion, as I wrote about in 1997 for SCI and the NPGS UPDATE HOTLINE.

After the forum, I heard, but can't confirm, Dave had some health issues, but he then went behind the camera and I believe he has focused on music and video as a producer/director. I haven't had any contact with Dave, but like so many of us early users, we all have gone on to pursue many other things in our lives.

But, I do have an archive and starting this afternoon, I'll post up some of those posts I made at Dave's Forum in the last century. It will be fun to see if Old Gordon has withstood the test of time, thanks for asking.

Gordon
Old August 5, 2017, 11:32 AM
donsonic

Talking Re: What you want, so far.

Gordon,

You are most welcome !
That time also started lots of reprint and resell rights making BIG MONEY online. It was a HUGE transition from offline to online. Lots of online pioneers who took advantage of the wild west of the Internet. Keep up the great work !

donsonic
Old August 6, 2017, 04:34 AM
MVc5hws

Quote:

Bob B

I agree, great idea. My idea was kinda similar but I forgot to post it before the end of the giveaway:

Create an index or knowledge-base using information from the Sowpub forums. I was originally thinking of a wiki, or series of PDF documents to help people find the information easier... but I like the idea of a book series better.

1. Pick a topic
2. Search through the forums and collect all the information on that topic
3. Synthesize
4. Clarify
5. Publish in a wiki form, series of web pages, or series of audio books and ebooks

I have been slowly going back through the archives, making my own notes and gathering information. There is an mind-boggling amount of information.

Collecting this information and synthesizing it won't be that hard, it just takes a good bit of work. Add in some interviews with Gordon, and it's a great way to consolidate the Wisdom of SOWPUB into actionable reports. MP3, PDF, Mobi and Epub.

Good stuff!

Last edited by MVc5hws : August 6, 2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old August 6, 2017, 05:04 AM

Lightbulb JVs for SOWPubbers?

Considering Gordon & Dien's tight schedules, could these proposed projects be JV opportunities for SOWPubbers who can synthesize the archives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVc5hws View Post
I agree, great idea. My idea was very similar:

Create an index or knowledge-base using information from the Sowpub forums. I was originally thinking of a wiki, or series of PDF documents, but I like the idea of a book series better.

1. Pick a topic
2. Search through the forums and collect all the information on that topic
3. Synthesize
4. Clarify
5. Publish in a wiki form, series of web pages, or series of audio books and ebooks

I have been slowly going back through the archives, making my own notes and gathering information. There is an mind-boggling amount of information.

Collecting this information and synthesizing it won't be that hard, it just takes a good bit of work. Add in some interviews with Gordon, and it's a great way to consolidate the Wisdom of SOWPUB into actionable reports. MP3, PDF, Mobi and Epub.

Good stuff!
Old August 6, 2017, 06:15 AM
MVc5hws

Default Re: JVs for SOWPubbers?

I think Gordon alluded to collaborations in the first part of the thread. Great opportunity!