SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 29, 2019, 01:28 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Ready... Fire... Aim!

Hi Gordon,

You asked a little while ago why some people get so caught up in the analysis paralysis, that they never take action...

(Sheepishly raises hand...) That's me - at least sometimes!

(I do get things done, but not as effectively as I probably should!)

I've been thinking about this lately, and I do think it's due to NOT following the "Ready... Fire... Aim" philosophy!

Sometimes, you just want things to be perfect... You want to do the absolute right thing. You don't want to make any mistakes!

But... the problem then, can be, things never get done.

Instead, I believe a better approach (which I'm working on) is to get comfortable with "launching" without being completely ready!

It's similar to the "Always Be Shipping" approach used in software startups...

It has some relation to the "Minimum Viable Product" concept...

The idea is, start selling, even if it's not (yet) perfect. Then, keep improving as you get feedback and experience...

Or, take action FIRST!

At least you've gotten started... and you're taking action!

I have a very talented friend, very smart. He's a lawyer, and can write up contracts like you can't believe. (A very useful skill for an entrepreneur...)

But, I've noticed this in him. He has trouble "pulling the trigger" and getting things "launched" for his business projects. He'll plan amazingly. Do the deals necessary to get things happening. But then, he has trouble actually launching, even when everything's in place... I feel he has this trouble I've described...

Of course, I think this advice is true for most businesses, but not all. If your business could result in life or death, then it's different (because the cost of failure is then very high). For example, if you're building airplanes, or making drugs to cure disease, you don't want to kill people due to a faulty product...

But otherwise, I think "Ready... Fire... Aim!" is the best way to go!

I'm going to practice it myself...

Best wishes,

Dien
(Always trying to improve!)
Old April 29, 2019, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Default The Pyramid of Activity (Plan of Action)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

You asked a little while ago why some people get so caught up in the analysis paralysis, that they never take action...

(Sheepishly raises hand...) That's me - at least sometimes!

(I do get things done, but not as effectively as I probably should!)

I'm going to practice it myself...

Best wishes,

Dien
(Always trying to improve!)

Amazingly, you have gotten a LOT done...if you step back and look over the last two decades. Pull out from the day, see the years, and in addition to SOWPub, and all your writing, look at all the other marvelous adventures you've had.

I'm starting to think, the READY part of all that, maybe should be dropped or eliminated altogether??

Fire, aim. MAY work in some cases, as you say, the non life threatening sort of thing, (Boeing with the 737 Max?)

We of the View from the rooftop and SQ1 camp, prefer some AIM.

The POA of the SQ1 shows the snake like movement through the pyramid until the goal manifests on the time line. The first MOVE...

IS to belief.

Which can be the sticking point. And one thing I've noticed over the years is, many people want a STRAIGHT LINE lifeline, or from here to the goal.

But when one puts it into the POA, we see the ADJUSTMENT, the firing...the movement...THAT DOESN'T WORK.

So, we adjust. Like the old torpedoes would do when they zig zagged until they could hone in on their target.

Now the View from the Rooftop, and the rungs...should, and often do, help with foreseeing potential bog down points.

As you know, I've floated scores of trial balloons here, much to the chagrin to some of the older members, the WHAT NOW GORDO? guys...and I don't blame them, of course, they never know my INTENT, when I do what I do.

And you also know both of us have held some projects very close to the vest, simply because there was a 'NEED TO KNOW' element involved.

So here I am again. Riding a horse in the Night King's army...cause poor thing has been beaten so badly...but

during the initial stages of the plan, the

What do you want? And WHY?

becomes the ways and means of getting off that belief stop on the POA, and onto the MOVEMENT toward your goal, keeping in mind there are the 7 exit points...and some, like your friend, may get off the path when very close or near the end. Exits 5, 6, and 7 are most frequent exit points of smarter people.

But still, the majority, can't get out of belief and into action.

So, my revision is AIM...FIRE...ADJUST.

GordonJ

PS. And be READY for the day, or better yet, be PREPARED...for anything.
Old April 29, 2019, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default 7 potential obstacles of financial ventures.

When Harvey Brody was instructing me on the rungs of the ladder, I made mine more like a fire escape on the side of the building, going up 7 steps to a platform, then turning, going up 7 more steps.

Using the VIEW FROM THE ROOFTOP, and along with SQ1, one can often see potential problems with their money making ideas.

Here are 7 potential obstacles to consider:

1) Competition; who, what, where, why, when and your difference.
2) Legal; potential litigation, from where and why?
3) Economic barriers including; cash flow, over costs, delays.
4) Supply chain; product delays, delivery, payment processes
5) Protection of assets; wall of defense; trade secrets, Patents, etc.
6) Weather; yes, it could be a factor. Shipping stuff in Winter may create problems.
7) Customers, clients, consumers. The people who buy from you could be a huge headache.

Say you want to start a food truck as an example, Why not?

First, who else in your area is doing it? What do they offer, what is your difference? Then, what legal things, like permits, inspections and regulations are you looking at.

Do you have enough start up cash, what is your estimated cash flow, what if it rains for 2 weeks solid, how will that impact your foot traffic?

Do you have enough and the right kind of insurance, are you branded? (Mr. Softee like), trademarks, etc.

Is your supplier well established, what if he goes under, then what?

And what and who are your customers, one or two bad yelp reviews of your crummy food, could cost you a lot.

THINK about these things as you build your PLAN OF ACTION. See potential obstacles and when and if they do come up, you will be prepared.

By doing the View from the Rooftop, and seeing more clearly, it may eliminate the procrastination of pulling the trigger.

So, again, Aim, Fire (knowing the risks, obstacles, etc), and Adjust. Ice Cream in the Summer, Hot Soup and Chili in the Winter sort of thing.

GordonJ