SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 10, 2019, 11:31 PM
Rick

Default Re: Inexpensive office space helps. Location, location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
https://bit.ly/2MjBA2B

This is one example, a block from the co-op space I'll be testing. Six offices, and all that for around 800 a month. With utilities, 1k a mo. Now how many classes could I (we) do? Or how many could we schedule?

I'm on a steep curve of getting a calendar to do it all for me, and don't want the rug pulled out, so I like Google, but I don't trust Google. So still looking at a total booking/class scheduler which can be instructor done.

Gordon

I have a couple of ideas germinating.

1. Were you thinking of online scheduling only, teaching the classes live?
2. I can do some further digging on the scheduling aspect if you'd like.

Rick
Old October 11, 2019, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have a couple of ideas germinating.

1. Were you thinking of online scheduling only, teaching the classes live?
2. I can do some further digging on the scheduling aspect if you'd like.

Rick

Yes, online scheduling only. Yes, teaching MOST classes live in person, although some could be remote, with real instructor (SKYPE like) and others maybe digital too. Not sure.

Here is what I've learned about scheduling, there are many paid software scheduling apps or software I could use, but so far, most can't beat Google Calendar. A successful Internet Marketer told me he uses Google and has 1600 people being able to schedule through it.

If you look at the Brooklyn Brainery, it is a small storefront, much smaller than I imagined. The Rochester Brainery is an old brick industrial bldg, which appears to be able to hold many more people. But the fact the one in Brooklyn has as many classes as it does, is because of the SCHEDULING.

I would like the instructors to schedule their own classes, put up their own class descriptions, set their price, and schedule a date and time. Some, I imagine some may want a deposit. So the software has to have a cart aspect to it. Google Calendar has all that, and at FREE, at least for my testing purposes it will be hard to beat. However, I'm not adverse to investing in something which can do it all for me, remember Rick, I want others to do all the work, while I just make all the money, ha!

Don't go out of your way, but if you find something, feel free to bring it to my attention. Thanks.

G.
Old October 13, 2019, 01:06 PM

Lightbulb Please correct me if I am wrong...

Quote:
Yes, online scheduling only. Yes, teaching MOST classes live in person, although some could be remote, with real instructor (SKYPE like) and others maybe digital too. Not sure.

Here is what I've learned about scheduling, there are many paid software scheduling apps or software I could use, but so far, most can't beat Google Calendar. A successful Internet Marketer told me he uses Google and has 1600 people being able to schedule through it...

I would like the instructors to schedule their own classes, put up their own class descriptions, set their price, and schedule a date and time.

G.

Thanks for sharing, Gordon. This is an enlightening thread

By the way, I don't know much about Google Calendar.

With that said, let's say you have 50 instructors, each with his own unique class. Also, let's assume the master calendar will be under your direct control, right?

Please clarify:

How will the calendar help you quickly track all the scheduled classes/enrolments (for accountability)?
Old October 13, 2019, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Please correct me if I am wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Thanks for sharing, Gordon. This is an enlightening thread

By the way, I don't know much about Google Calendar.

With that said, let's say you have 50 instructors, each with his own unique class. Also, let's assume the master calendar will be under your direct control, right?

Please clarify:

How will the calendar help you quickly track all the scheduled classes/enrollments (for accountability)?

The calendar is accessible to all instructors, who can schedule a class on their own, depending on how many people they have, the co-op place could have several classes at the same time, and having overflow space, we should be able host several at the same time.

I think they need a 4 to 6 week schedule, or a post at least 4 weeks before the class. Also, there should be a minimum, set by the instructor, number of people per class. IF it is an on demand, and only one is needed, I don't see a problem, we can host that easily.

One thing I'm learning from the other Learning Annexes and Brainery is what is popular, what people want, what they sign up for quickly.

It is up to the instructor to offer classes of interest, if someone has some arcane or little known thing where is little to no demand, then the instructor is on the hook for that.

I plan on having a HANDS OFF approach to this. Which is why the calendar is the key. And having people who use these, with a heck of a lot more than 50 (one guy has 1600 using Google Calendar), it will, hopefully work.

Good questions, thanks.

Gordon
Old October 13, 2019, 11:24 PM
Rick

Quote:
Here is what I've learned about scheduling, there are many paid software scheduling apps or software I could use, but so far, most can't beat Google Calendar. A successful Internet Marketer told me he uses Google and has 1600 people being able to schedule through it.

So the software has to have a cart aspect to it. Google Calendar has all that, and at FREE, at least for my testing purposes it will be hard to beat. However, I'm not adverse to investing in something which can do it all for me, remember Rick, I want others to do all the work, while I just make all the money, ha!

G.

I'm very familiar with Google Calendar. I sync Sharon's schedule, my day job schedule, and my "regular" all into my Google Calendar. We hold weekly scheduling meetings to make sure we're both on the same page.

I'm not attempting to schedule 1600 people but it doesn't surprise me that it can handle that level of scale. AFA carts are concerned, did you mean this or a payment cart?

https://www.cart.org

I found this related to use Goog Cal with an ecom store.

https://support.bigcommerce.com/s/ar...-to-Your-Store

Rick
Old October 14, 2019, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I'm very familiar with Google Calendar. I sync Sharon's schedule, my day job schedule, and my "regular" all into my Google Calendar. We hold weekly scheduling meetings to make sure we're both on the same page.

I'm not attempting to schedule 1600 people but it doesn't surprise me that it can handle that level of scale. AFA carts are concerned, did you mean this or a payment cart?

https://www.cart.org

I found this related to use Goog Cal with an ecom store.

https://support.bigcommerce.com/s/ar...-to-Your-Store

Rick

Thanks Rick, very helpful. Yea, I want the calendar to do all the work.

To be the advertisement/marketer of classes. To allow instructors to schedule their own workshops, to accept payments (as an ecom store can do)...and to give out data, reports and be the workhorse.

Still an idea germinating, sounds good, but I will test a couple of classes in the coming weeks, to see what interest it generates.

I'm liking the feedback so far, from you all and from those instructors I've talked to. Seems to be toll position in there somewhere.

When you free up a little time, let's chat, shall we?

Gordon
Old October 19, 2019, 12:00 AM
Rick

Quote:
Seems to be toll position in there somewhere.

When you free up a little time, let's chat, shall we?

Gordon

I'm sure there's a toll position in there.

Yes. We definitely should chat soon. I'm taking PTO a week from today. Got several doc's appointments lined up (which isn't the point here). Since one of the appointments is in Salt Lake, I'll have quite a bit of driving time. So I could call you then. The appointment in SLC is at 9:30 am. I'll be leaving my house by 8:00 am or so to allow plenty of time for traffic. I could call you once I got on the road. That would make it a little after 10 am your time.

Rick