SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 28, 2008, 01:51 AM
Phil

Default Re: government help poor people

Unless you're passing through and joking...

And for others who have No idea on this kind of stuff...

Never, Never give out that kind of information...

If you Did... Notify your bank etc. etc. Immediately and Keep a close Watch on all your accounts...

Always Do your Homework and be Extremely Careful on who/when you answer your phone & email...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...S earch&meta=

Phil
Old January 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
Sandi Bowman

Okay, I'll bite in hopes it may help others. Apparently we are getting a few new to the world folks here...so...here's some capsule info:

1. Be suspicious of anyone calling you 'out of the blue' with some special offer or grant or no cost anything. Best bet: hang up!

2. NEVER, and I mean never, give out private information to anyone you don't know if THEY initiate the contact. You can never be SURE of who you are dealing with. Would you go out and shout your personal income, tell all about your lifestyle habits, your sexual habits, or medical history to a group of folks in a mall? No? Then don't give your personal info to strangers.

3. Bank info, credit card info, and especially Social Security Info puts you in the middle of the mall yelling at the top of your lungs to anyone who will listen. Don't be a patsy. The cost? Your very identity, your money, and possibly even your life. No exaggeration here. Try getting medical care if your identity is compromised.

4. A word about surveys: DON't is a safe rule unless you have an on-going, initiated by YOU, contact/relationship with the person. If you do a survey, don't feel you have to answer all questions. They can ask anything they want but you don't have to answer...remember that.

5. WATCH your credit cards and ID (driver's license etc). NEVER lay them on a counter...keep them in hand. When you get a card back from someone who took it to process it, CHECK that you got YOURS back. If someone is on a cell phone while processing your card, watch carefully that they don't take a photograph of your card with that camera equipped cell phone or you could face some nasty charges on your next statement and endless hassles to boot.

It's a jungle out there full of predators so act defensively, folks, or pay the price.

Sandi Bowman
Old January 28, 2008, 09:11 AM
-TW

Default Aka: "Shoulder Surfers" (dno)

-- TW
Old January 28, 2008, 09:23 AM
-TW

Default Article, re: Shoulder Surfers + prevention tips...

http://idtheft.about.com/od/preventi...ulder_Surf.htm

I've heard they even use slo-mo cameras from across the room (airport, etc.) -- so, when entering a password or pin on a keypad or keyboard, FAKE hitting a key or two at various points while punching in the #'s -- it couldn't hurt.

-- TW
Old January 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
Phil

Default Re: Article, re: Shoulder Surfers + prevention tips... Problems = Business ideas...

A few more Good Reads and resources...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

Diagnosis: Identity Theft
For $60, a thief can buy your health records—and use them to get costly care. Guess who gets the bill...
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...eek+exclusives

Consumers afraid of identity theft have a new weapon, a credit freeze...
http://businessshrink.biz/psychology...credit-freeze/

And of course Problems lead to Business ideas and Solutions...

Not my Affiliate links... Just one Example and Many more ways to “twist” ID Theft into other Services & Product ideas...

Don't Marketers just Love a Good Problem with a Recurring income stream...
http://www.nextadvisor.com/identity_...ices/index.php

Phil

Last edited by Phil : January 28, 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional info
Old February 2, 2008, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenstone11 View Post
Hi all, my husband is disabled we have a child at home who wants to go to college in 2008 we want to know if there is grant money to help us buy a home and send him to college. He has a 3.8 grade point average and we would like to see him get a better education and be able to live at home while doing it. So does the government help poor people get the grants like it is advertised on the internet and television? Please answer me.

I'm confused - you're asking about grants while promoting a book about grants in your signature? If the book you're promoting tells all, you could be teaching us a thing or two.
Old February 2, 2008, 03:43 PM
MichaelRoss

Default That link wasn't there first go around

Interesting.

I don't recall the Grant For Women link there previously. They must have come back and added a signature. Hmmm... might need removing.

Michael Ross
Old February 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
vinnieg24

depends on the school your child goes to. i know a friend that went to college basically for free without taking out a loan. He got government grants. it was a 2 year college though not a 4 year. your children might just have to get either financial aid or take out a loan. but he/she should get some money to go to college.
Old February 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
chocolate101

there are many government agencies that allows you to take out loans from them. if you don't know much about loans and mortgages there are lots of articles about it online.

Last edited by GordonJ : February 28, 2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old March 15, 2008, 01:30 AM
karlahaze

I am going to pursue a career in Criminal Justice, and I’m looking to get a government grant. Does anyone know a website that can help me out and offer the assistance I need to pursue my career? I’m sure there are websites that don’t require any money and are willing to help people like me out. Is there a website that I can go to for a free government grant without paying for anything?